Votes: 137 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 153 52.8%

• Total voters

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Personally I think it was impressive even with some great players. Chelsea are an absolute mess and he was having a great effect.
I mean, Forest going from absolute shite at the bottom of the Championship to promotion in less than a season is "impressive".*
Spending a year to get Chelsea to something better than a laughing stock is, I'd suggest, the bare minimum.

*No, I don't think we should hire Steve Cooper.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I mean, Forest going from absolute shite at the bottom of the Championship to promotion in less than a season is "impressive".*
Spending a year to get Chelsea to something better than a laughing stock is, I'd suggest, the bare minimum.

*No, I don't think we should hire Steve Cooper.
They were an absolute mess though, inside and out. A completely unbalanced squad, with massive egos all on enormous wages and a number of players in extremely poor form. I genuinely think he’s done as well as anyone possibly could given the shambles at that club. Admittedly, he got very lucky that Palmer turned out to be such a diamond. But then sometimes that’s all it takes - look at Micky Adams and Zamora carrying us up.

Not that any of it matters - he’s far too high profile to step down a level in status (and several levels in salary!) to join a club of our size. But yes, if he was available and affordable it would be an absolute no-brainer and the owner would jump at the chance today if it was a possibility.

Important to remember that most fans are absolutely clueless, so those saying “no” on the basis they don’t believe he is good enough for our little club should be rightly ignored or mocked, depending on your wont.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Purely and simple a No, because even if we did get him, he is another with a short life span at a club, a good season and he will be off quicker than you can say Potter.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
They were an absolute mess though, inside and out. A completely unbalanced squad, with massive egos all on enormous wages and a number of players in extremely poor form. I genuinely think he’s done as well as anyone possibly could given the shambles at that club. Admittedly, he got very lucky that Palmer turned out to be such a diamond. But then sometimes that’s all it takes - look at Micky Adams and Zamora carrying us up.

Not that any of it matters - he’s far too high profile to step down a level in status (and several levels in salary!) to join a club of our size. But yes, if he was available and affordable it would be an absolute no-brainer and the owner would jump at the chance today if it was a possibility.

Important to remember that most fans are absolutely clueless, so those saying “no” on the basis they don’t believe he is good enough for our little club should be rightly ignored or mocked, depending on your wont.
I mean, it's not like I think he's incompetent or anything. I just don't see much in his career since his first few seasons at Spurs for me to justify writing off a pair of pants over him.

I voted No on the basis that, to the extent that I think the manager makes much difference at all, I'm sure Bloom et al have there eyes on numerous people who'd do as good a job or better who I've never heard of or wouldn't think to consider.

I am, you'll be glad to hear, fully on board with my own cluelessness when it comes to football. :thumbsup::lolol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1) any manager would be off if they do well and a big club comes in.
Point taken, but some mangers do stick around slightly longer and want to build a legacy.
2) small time mentality. Let's just hire mediocre and crap players so they don't get poached.
Where did I say I wanted mediocre or crap players ?

We are at that level and will always be, a club that sells, but occasionally we want to be able to keep them for longer and attempt to win something.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Never say never, remember Clough came here against all the odds. Sadly I think it might have the same ending too :smile:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The No's are a tad delusional - we should be so f***ing lucky.
I voted no - not because I think he's not good enough for us, but because he wouldn't come to us in a million years. I want B&B to be concentrating on realistic targets. The earlier we get someone on board, the earlier we can plan for next season - let's not waste time going down blind alleys

It's the people who voted yes who are being delusional.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Arguably turned a clueless Chelsea around, take your point though
He 'failed' at Chelsea in the sense that a) he was sacked b) he didn’t achieve CL football as was his target, and c) he couldn’t reach an accommodation with the owners over transfer policy. He did indeed finally 'turn around a clueless Chelsea', mainly it seems by having the balls to drop Enzo Fernandez, but in the eyes of the owners, he failed. At Brighton or any other less pressurised club, he would still be in a job. My point was that he might be wondering whether he wants that unreasonable pressure yet again, or would he prefer a currently smaller but ambitious Prem club where he’d be given the time to develop a successful team.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
He 'failed' at Chelsea in the sense that a) he was sacked b) he didn’t achieve CL football as was his target, and c) he couldn’t reach an accommodation with the owners over transfer policy. He did indeed finally 'turn around a clueless Chelsea', mainly it seems by having the balls to drop Enzo Fernandez, but in the eyes of the owners, he failed. At Brighton or any other less pressurised club, he would still be in a job. My point was that he might be wondering whether he wants that unreasonable pressure yet again, or would he prefer a currently smaller but ambitious Prem club where he’d be given the time to develop a successful team.
In the unlikely event he was looking to step away from the demands and stress of elite clubs I suggest there is no better job on the planet than BHA. There would also be some Karma and satisfaction in getting an ex Chelsea manager to take us into the top four.

Come on, the one time you CAN have outlandish dreams is during the close season, no?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The No's are a tad delusional - we should be so f***ing lucky.
But that't the point - it's a "no" in the same way as we wouldn't waste our time "going after" Erling Haaland.

Or, as the great philosophers TLC once said, "Don't go chasin' waterfalls, Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to".

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I voted no - not because I think he's not good enough for us, but because he wouldn't come to us in a million years. I want B&B to be concentrating on realistic targets. The earlier we get someone on board, the earlier we can plan for next season - let's not waste time going down blind alleys

It's the people who voted yes who are being delusional.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we spend weeks nagging his agent who refuses to talk to us. A single phone call would clarify his position. Again, I doubt if he’d come here, and certainly not right now. But it’s not ‘delusional' to make an enquiry. It’s being bold and ambitious.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
But that't the point - it's a "no" in the same way as we wouldn't waste our time "going after" Erling Haaland.

Or, as the great philosophers TLC once said, "Don't go chasin' waterfalls, Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to".
When I first read we were in for Ansu Fati, I thought that was pure delusion. A player with a billion release clause coming to the Albion? Yeah, righto.

It's unlikely I agree but it's surely worth a quick sound out, especially as I seem to recall PB has some sort relationship with him even if the response is "thanks but no thanks"

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
No - Doubt he'd want to come to us (as he would see it as a downward step), and he would be off within 5 mins if another 'better' offer came in ,coupled with the fact he wanted more control on signings at Chelsea. He won't get that under our Tony.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I really would like to know how all these fans know how much he wants in wages. Surely he would come with his four man team replacing RDZ and his seven man team Can these people who know all these all costs tell me the difference in costs between the two teams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports