Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
5 goals in 22 appearances this season (includes 4 sub appearances, and 1 penalty). Doesn't include numerous chances missed, one of which my wife commented that she could have scored!

1 million pounds for an average championship striker with six months left on his contract, and seemingly not interested in signing a new one, before being a free agent? Glad TH ain't our chairman.

5 Sub appearances. Two penalties.

Nor does it include the appearance and sixth goal he scored v newport. Nor does it include the goal bound shot that Ulloa poached pretty much on the goal line v Charlton that would have been number 7. Nor the three officially recognised assists. Or the key passes that led to goals (v derby, blackburn) or the overhead kick Lita turned in to score v Doncaster. Or the distraction of Spearing that caused an own goal that sparked our comeback v Bolton. Or the numerous clearing headers from set pieces. Or the pressure relieving free kicks won. Or the balls held up to give the defence a chance to push up.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
5 Sub appearances. Two penalties.

Nor does it include the appearance and sixth goal he scored v newport. Nor does it include the goal bound shot that Ulloa poached pretty much on the goal line v Charlton that would have been number 7. Nor the three officially recognised assists. Or the key passes that led to goals (v derby, blackburn) or the overhead kick Lita turned in to score v Doncaster. Or the distraction of Spearing that caused an own goal that sparked our comeback v Bolton. Or the numerous clearing headers from set pieces. Or the pressure relieving free kicks won. Or the balls held up to give the defence a chance to push up.

I was quoting Championship figures as you well know.

Ulloa poach - That shows an astute striker, Barnes could do with a bit of this.

Assists - Don't count as goals.

Clearing headers - Not what strikers are paid for.

Although you do not believe me through your Ash tinted spectacles, I do not hate Barnes, I just take a realistic view. We lost out with Murray by letting his contract run out. As far as we are aware, Ash is showing no inclination to pledge his future to us, time to take the money and run.

Ray666

Aug 18, 2013
In my opinion I don't rate Barnes good enough to get a regular spot with any Championship team. He's slow, he throws tantrums when he does get a free kick, he's NOT an out & out goal scorer. He misses more then he scores week in week out.
I think why did OG bring in Leroy Lita then not give him more then 20/30 mins. Whenever he came on he was like a coiled spring, fast nimble and in my belief a goal scoring machine. His pride must be shot to pieces now having come here expecting to play but in theory just being a back up. Take the £750.000 for AB any day, let him go and spend the cash wisely.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm in the no camp. Was good when he came on the other day. Review at the end if the season.

I concur, to a point. Ash and Leo look as though they could form a very good partnership given time. But there is the gamble - Wait till the end of the season, it may or may not come to fruition, but then Barnes decides to bugger off elsewhere for diddly squat -1 million quid lost and looking for another striker.

Aug 23, 2011
In my opinion I don't rate Barnes good enough to get a regular spot with any Championship team. He's slow, he throws tantrums when he does get a free kick, he's NOT an out & out goal scorer. He misses more then he scores week in week out.
I think why did OG bring in Leroy Lita then not give him more then 20/30 mins. Whenever he came on he was like a coiled spring, fast nimble and in my belief a goal scoring machine. His pride must be shot to pieces now having come here expecting to play but in theory just being a back up. Take the £750.000 for AB any day, let him go and spend the cash wisely.

Barnes has been a regular in our team for the last 2.5 seasons and we have finished mid table and then in the play offs and currently in a similar position this year. Are you saying that the rest of our team are so good they can carry a league 1 player? Or perhaps he's holding his own? Two different managers seem to have faith in him so that must say something.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was quoting Championship figures as you well know.

Ulloa poach - That shows an astute striker, Barnes could do with a bit of this.

Assists - Don't count as goals.

Clearing headers - Not what strikers are paid for.

Although you do not believe me through your Ash tinted spectacles, I do not hate Barnes, I just take a realistic view. We lost out with Murray by letting his contract run out. As far as we are aware, Ash is showing no inclination to pledge his future to us, time to take the money and run.

Your championship figures were wrong. Those five sub appearances and two penalties were in the championship.

Football is a team game. Every contribution a player makes on the pitch is something the team benefits from and so is part of the value of that player. Ignoring much of the positive contributions of a player to justify cashing in on him isn't the action of someone 'not hating that player and taking a realistic view'.

Last edited:

Ray666

Aug 18, 2013
I'm saying he's not a predator in front of goal.
His Bournemouth goal was great. He was so in need of scoring a goal at home in front of us that he grabbed the ball from Lopez to take the penalty (sorry my minds gone blank who it was against).
He's just not fast enough up front.
If we had CMS fully fit this season with Ulloa the AB would be sub each week, even Buckley would struggle for a regular start, but I'd put WB in front of AB every game, even KLL should start each game ahead of AB

Aug 23, 2011
I'm saying he's not a predator in front of goal.
His Bournemouth goal was great. He was so in need of scoring a goal at home in front of us that he grabbed the ball from Lopez to take the penalty (sorry my minds gone blank who it was against).
He's just not fast enough up front.
If we had CMS fully fit this season with Ulloa the AB would be sub each week, even Buckley would struggle for a regular start, but I'd put WB in front of AB every game, even KLL should start each game ahead of AB

Pace isn't everything for a striker, it can help but certainly not the be all or end all. Shearer and sherringham weren't the quickest and they did alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here