Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we Bring Back National Service? Sunak says YES.

Would you support a Form of Military Service? If so, what kind?

• No, not in any form

Votes: 223 54.0%
  • One month, as a voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • One year, voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Voluntary military service for 12 months

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Compulsory community based military service for one month

Votes: 26 6.3%
  • Compulsory military service for 12 months

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • How old are you - 18-24

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 25-49

Votes: 83 20.1%
  • 50-64

Votes: 121 29.3%
  • 65+

Votes: 59 14.3%

• Total voters

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Many boomers often act like they won the war and have views that I don’t blame them for. They were also products of the environment they grew up in I guess. My old man was born in 1945. So played no part in the war and very little in rebuilding the country. But somehow acts like he won the thing. I love him dearly and he did serve for ages in the military but let’s not pretend hey pop!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find attacks from my generation and older ones on today’s youth so tiresome. Young people are influenced by the environment in which they exist. Who creates that environment? Older generations.

“Kids are on smartphones all the time including in restaurants and pubs while out for family meals” - who invented the screens? Who bought them for the kids? Who allows them to have screens at the table? All of these things are caused by older generations.

“Young people today have a throwaway culture rather than mending things” so who was it who invented all of the plastics that made things so much cheaper? Who taught kids that you throw stuff away rather than replace it?

“Young people don’t have the basic skills I had” - my old man was rarely around when I was a kid as he was in the military but when he was he taught me stuff but mostly it was my mum. All those basic life skills. Cooking, cleaning, ironing, earning pocket money etc.

“Kids expect everything to be given to them rather than working for it” who gives stuff free to kids. Parents and grandparents. And then the same people moan about them wanting things for nothing.

“The young are no good at making their own entertainment anymore” that is because us parents and grandparents are constantly trying to keep them busy. If in doubt chuck them a tablet.

“Young people are overweight and lazy” - who prepares the meals? Us. Who buys them sweets? Us. Some parents struggle for time to cook proper healthy meals because they are working all the time. Who created the situation where we all have to work crazy hours? The kids? Of course not. It is us and older generations.

So basically society loves to point the blame at youngsters but it is on us and older people who have created them. Kids are not born lazy with a bad attitude.
Can’t argue with that.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Why are people against it ? Would give some little scumbags on our streets a kick up the arse and discipline. I don’t care that it’s the tories who have said it, it works in other countries. I’m fed up with this namby pamby society these days. You wouldn’t have to go to war.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Why are people against it ? Would give some little scumbags on our streets a kick up the arse and discipline. I don’t care that it’s the tories who have said it, it works in other countries. I’m fed up with this namby pamby society these days. You wouldn’t have to go to war.
Community service is a forced punishment as a result of a crime. It is a fundamental withdrawal of freedoms as a form of punishment.

We are literally giving all 18 year olds an extra judicial punishment. How is that moral?!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So because a few youngsters are scumbags then collective punishment for the lot of them is…fine?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Amazing watching all the pro and con arguments over national service. It's NOT going to happen, the Tories won't even be back in power for probably 8 years. All the time we are fighting over something that will never happen, the Tory government is avoiding scrutiny on the issues that really matter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Amazing watching all the pro and con arguments over national service. It's NOT going to happen, the Tories won't even be back in power for probably 8 years. All the time we are fighting over something that will never happen, the Tory government is avoiding scrutiny on the issues that really matter.
Just trying to rally the boomers.

The people that think they actually did national service, but didn't.

Cleverly's words interesting, talking of healing division. The very thing that has defined the Tories since Brexit

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I find attacks from my generation and older ones on today’s youth so tiresome. Young people are influenced by the environment in which they exist. Who creates that environment? Older generations.

“Kids are on smartphones all the time including in restaurants and pubs while out for family meals” - who invented the screens? Who bought them for the kids? Who allows them to have screens at the table? All of these things are caused by older generations.

“Young people today have a throwaway culture rather than mending things” so who was it who invented all of the plastics that made things so much cheaper? Who taught kids that you throw stuff away rather than replace it?

“Young people don’t have the basic skills I had” - my old man was rarely around when I was a kid as he was in the military but when he was he taught me stuff but mostly it was my mum. All those basic life skills. Cooking, cleaning, ironing, earning pocket money etc.

“Kids expect everything to be given to them rather than working for it” who gives stuff free to kids. Parents and grandparents. And then the same people moan about them wanting things for nothing.

“The young are no good at making their own entertainment anymore” that is because us parents and grandparents are constantly trying to keep them busy. If in doubt chuck them a tablet.

“Young people are overweight and lazy” - who prepares the meals? Us. Who buys them sweets? Us. Some parents struggle for time to cook proper healthy meals because they are working all the time. Who created the situation where we all have to work crazy hours? The kids? Of course not. It is us and older generations.

So basically society loves to point the blame at youngsters but it is on us and older people who have created them. Kids are not born lazy with a bad attitude.
Whole heartedly agree. Boomers (sadly I am one) and whatever came after that, are a really needy bunch. They are offended by everything and think they are the hardest done by generation. Wankers.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
The “little scumbags” of society are only a small fraction. The majority of 18 year olds are not causing havoc on our streets, instead they are working in jobs, studying in higher education, etc. I don’t think forcing hundreds of thousands to participate in the military or do community service (which is intended to be a punishment of crime) is the right way to go about this. We should be investing in schemes to support the younger generation; especially with their mental wellbeing as they have been living with the internet throughout their life.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So because a few youngsters are scumbags then collective punishment for the lot of them is…fine?
Well they are all the same age, so clearly they all deserve it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: A1X

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'll turn the argument on its head and make a different point and that is the hypocrisy of telling the young they should be compelled to do unpaid "voluntary" work while a whole raft of people 55+ with time on their hands do nothing for their community.

Up and down the country voluntary organisations, committees, parish councils are looking for people to help but it is the same old faces filling multiple roles to put on community events and run local groups.

On a personal level I am a working accountant with 2 teenagers and yet fill a number of unpaid auditor roles and EVERY organisation I deal with has problems with getting a treasurer, and yet there will be a stack of local people retired or semi- retired who could undertake that roll but choose not too.

So let's not pretend it is just the young who need to engage with their community more.

If we need more 'volunteers' to help out in the community because the Government are too incompetent to do it, then this is the answer :thumbsup:

I do some work, paid and voluntary with kids in the age group that this Government are targeting with this utterly pathetic dead cat announcement, designed to appeal to the most stupid in society.

And I am so glad it's them that are in control of our future. The vast majority I have worked work with are trying to make society better and are sensible, responsible and committed kids who are so open and welcoming to all, even the stupid, bigoted old sods who have stitched them up. There's not much these days that makes me feel proud, but these kids do.

I believe they have a term to describe it and I think it's called 'woke' :lolol:

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Would give some little scumbags on our streets a kick up the arse and discipline.
Except it wouldn't. At all.

Home secretary says teenagers will not face criminal sanction if they refuse to join military or do volunteer work

So these "scumbags" will get their notice, refuse to do it and that'll be that.

It's a farce of a policy announcement. One of the last death rattles of a dying political party soon to be consigned to the history books.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Namby pamby goes back to 1725, so it doesn’t just refer to modern day society.

"All ye Poets of the Age!
All ye Witlings of the Stage!
Learn your Jingles to reform!Crop your Numbers and Conform:
Let your little Verses flowGently, Sweetly, Row by Row:
Let the Verse the Subject fit;
Little Subject, Little Wit.Namby-Pamby is your Guide;
Albion's Joy, Hibernia's Pride

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Namby pamby goes back to 1725, so it doesn’t just refer to modern day society.

"All ye Poets of the Age!
All ye Witlings of the Stage!
Learn your Jingles to reform!Crop your Numbers and Conform:
Let your little Verses flowGently, Sweetly, Row by Row:
Let the Verse the Subject fit;
Little Subject, Little Wit.Namby-Pamby is your Guide;
Albion's Joy, Hibernia's Pride
IMG_0590.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here