Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we Bring Back National Service? Sunak says YES.

Would you support a Form of Military Service? If so, what kind?

• No, not in any form

Votes: 223 54.0%
  • One month, as a voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • One year, voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Voluntary military service for 12 months

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Compulsory community based military service for one month

Votes: 26 6.3%
  • Compulsory military service for 12 months

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • How old are you - 18-24

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 25-49

Votes: 83 20.1%
  • 50-64

Votes: 121 29.3%
  • 65+

Votes: 59 14.3%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The thing is that this level of idiocy is what this Country has been suffering from, ever since Johnson appointed the most inexperienced cabinet in history in order to make it 'Brexit positive'. Sunak had been in parliament less than 5 years when Johnson made him his number two and Gove and Truss where the only ones with any significant experience in Cabinet. The country has simply lurched from crisis to crisis ever since.

This was very clearly reported at the time and consequently, anytime any aspect of this Government is exposed to public scrutiny through parliamentary committees, independant enquiries or, in this case, a public election campaign, they are shown up to be a completely incompetent bunch of chancers, liers, morons and narcissists. It's why this country has managed to get to this state in just 4 and a half years, a truly remarkable achievement.

I'm absolutely stunned this comes a surprise to anybody when the facts was there in clear sight for anyone who could be arsed to look :shrug:

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Home secretary James Cleverly said 18-year-olds would not be jailed if they refuse to carry out “mandatory” national service under Tory plans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
yes it is relevant. why should today’s 18 year olds be gleefully volunteered for national service by older generations that said generations haven’t had to do it themselves? is it because they’re ‘stroppy and entitled’ and more lacking in disciple or whatever than their elders? that narrative, which is the narrative that the tories are angling towards with this policy, whether they openly say it or not, is absolute bollocks. show me the evidence that says today’s teenagers are any more entitled than those of previous generations
You would think that the party with the largest proportion of MPs with a degree in classics would read a bit about the past. For example:

In a speech to the House of Commons on February 28, 1843, Anthony Ashley Cooper, the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, ranted: "A fearful multitude of untutored savages ... [boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits ... [girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody ... the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly."

In 1695, Robert Russel wrote in A Little Book for Children and Youth (subtitled Being Good Counsel and Instructions for Your Children, Earnestly Exhorting Them to Resist the Temptation of the Devil ...): "I find by sad Experience how the Towns and Streets are filled with lewd wicked Children, and many Children as they have played about the Streets have been heard to curse and swear and call one another Nick-names, and it would grieve ones Heart to hear what bawdy and filthy Communications proceeds from the Mouths of such ..."

And so on....

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
During the recruitment of WW1 when the working classes still thought the British Empire was a good thing, they queued to join, indeed Sussex had 19 Infantry battalions (now only 3 Battalions cover Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, Surrey and part of Middlesex).
Then men and boys were rejected for flat feet or heart murmurs. Imagine the reasons/excuses today!!!!
The past is a different country as they say……..for all the blather about modern day national service the Govt would do better to ensure todays generations know well the sacrifices made by their forebears. The stuff is out there…….

I think the WW1 story is a case in point, whereby Germany a country born out of a war with France in 1870, had in a short 30 years launched invasions and fought a number of successful wars with its neighbours, including Denmark and Austria. If you want to understand the cause of WW1 see where it was ended.

Many who signed up in WW1 would have understood a military confrontation with Germany was inevitable, just as many others would have been wrapped up in jingoistic patriotism as others would have been motivated by an escape from the drudgery of life in early 1900s.

It wasn’t simply a great tragedy for all involved, that over simplification denies many of those who died fighting for a cause worth fighting their ultimate sacrifice.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Wasn't there an episode of Yes Minister where Hacker came up with a similar wheeze and the Army didn't want them saying they would be a pot smoking disorganised rabble - so no change there then

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The thing is that this level of idiocy is what this Country has been suffering from ever since Johnson appointed the most inexperienced cabinet in history in order to make it 'Brexit positive'. Sunak had been in parliament less than 5 years when Johnson made him his number two and Gove and Truss where the only ones with any significant experience in Cabinet.

This was very clearly reported at the time and consequently, anytime any aspect of this Government is exposed to public scrutiny through parliamentary committees, independant enquiries or, in this case, a public election campaign, they are shown up to be a completely incompetent bunch of chancers, liers, morons and narcissists. It's why this country is in such a state.

I'm absolutely stunned this comes a surprise to anybody when the facts was there in clear sight for anyone who could be arsed to look :shrug:
Stop talking this great country down.

We have freed ourselves of the yoke (and the yolk) of heavy European eggs, pressing down on our freedom.

We can now rise up to where the sun shines on alpine uplands and pick our fill of Leontopodium nivale and smoke it till we bleed. In the land of Grey and pink where only boyscouts stop to think, they'll be coming back again, those nasty grumbly grimblies, and they're climbing down your chimney, yes they're trying to get in. Come to take your money, isn't it a sin, they're so thin. They've black buckets in the sky, don't leave your dad in the rain. Cigarettes burn bright tonight, they'll all get washed down the drain

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They've been in power for 14 years and have caused such chaos in that time that their solutiion at the end of it is to bring back National Service.

That says it all really. Desperate party trying to appeal to the old to keep them in power whilst stealing Reform UK voters (they love all this 'turning back the clock' shite.)

And it won't work because those 18 years old are in high demand by business short on labour, and those young adults need all he time available to earn to either get them through Uni or save for a deposit on a property.

And why jack up National Minimum Wage for the young in April, then annonce in May you want them to give up their time for free for National Service?

Mixed signals, no plan, shambles.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I suspect it will be a politically popular option for many older, authoritarian, working-class, voters, who despise liberalism and young people, and think that almost any social problem can/will be solved by either sending more people to prison, putting all youngsters in the army, or stopping immigration.

Simple 'solutions' for people whose responses are driven by emotions and/or nostalgia, and who like everything to be reduced to three-word slogans: take back control; stop the boats; abolish the BBC; lock up protestors; sack the Lefties; bring back conscription.

This is just more desperate Culture War nonsense from a morally and ideologically bankrupt Right-wing Government.
You may be right but I can assure you that ‘simple solutions’ are not the preserve of the political right. One major reason for my disengagement with confrontational politics is that all the enthusiasts have simple solutions for everything and refuse to consider anything that challenges them. This applies to all parties. I’m a consensus guy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You may have jumped the gun, I'm expecting an announcement each and every day.
The last throw of the dice will be a proposal to Bring Back Hanging.

Sunk will announce that the General Election will be a referendum on the noose.

Will the country get behind exterminexit?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You may be right but I can assure you that ‘simple solutions’ are not the preserve of the political right. One major reason for my disengagement with confrontational politics is that all the enthusiasts have simple solutions for everything and refuse to consider anything that challenges them. This applies to all parties. I’m a consensus guy.
I am also a consensus guy.

Which is why Starmer's total lack of simple solutions (billed as 'absolutely no plans, no policies and no ideas) by the shouty right, is so appealing.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
"Be prepared" my scout leader used to tell us, and I have carried that mantra through my life to great effect. The kids of today are being brain washed by social media many to there detriment.

Fantastic to read that you still grab your ankles after your scout experiences.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
And from what other groups that you disagree with should the vote be taken away? It must be awful for you to vote and find your choice does not prevail.
You wanted to take it away from u21s iirc

So perhaps he is merely using satire to tease you

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This shows what national service was really like for many.

Except the link won't work :angry:

Amazon product

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
So no one will go to prison. I assume non compliance will mean a fine. Therefore the wealthy can pay a fine so the compulsory voluntary service would be for other people. Shock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here