Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we Bring Back National Service? Sunak says YES.

Would you support a Form of Military Service? If so, what kind?

• No, not in any form

Votes: 223 54.0%
  • One month, as a voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • One year, voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Voluntary military service for 12 months

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Compulsory community based military service for one month

Votes: 26 6.3%
  • Compulsory military service for 12 months

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • How old are you - 18-24

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 25-49

Votes: 83 20.1%
  • 50-64

Votes: 121 29.3%
  • 65+

Votes: 59 14.3%

• Total voters

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
This has got to be a vote loser . Modern people find anything compulsory to be an anathema.
Anyway the options are ridiculously loaded . 12 months full time in the army or weekends sweeping floors in the hospital? The NHS would be swamped with youngsters taking an easy option…
I suspect it will be a politically popular option for many older, authoritarian, working-class, voters, who despise liberalism and young people, and think that almost any social problem can/will be solved by either sending more people to prison, putting all youngsters in the army, or stopping immigration.

Simple 'solutions' for people whose responses are driven by emotions and/or nostalgia, and who like everything to be reduced to three-word slogans: take back control; stop the boats; abolish the BBC; lock up protestors; sack the Lefties; bring back conscription.

This is just more desperate Culture War nonsense from a morally and ideologically bankrupt Right-wing Government.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In principal and done properly, I’m not immediately opposed to some form of civic service. However, Sunak has gone f***ing mental.
Yes, something practical and community-based, possibly.

What I've never understood, though, is argument that "the army teaches discipline and respect." I suspect that any army-barracks town at closing-time on a Saturday night, full of macho pissed-up, off-duty squaddies would soon disprove this claim.

And people who say "It never did me any harm" have often been emotionally damaged, and lack empathy for others - in other words, it did do them harm, but they don't realise how, or how much.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting, so the take away (no pun intended) from this sentiment is when this country was poverty stricken, as it was, in the aftermath of WW2 we were not over run by freeloaders.

Maybe re-introducing rationing would be a cheaper and more effective alternative to the Rwanda initiative. It worked before.
No it’s not.

Will you be volunteering your time?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes, something practical and community-based, possibly.

What I've never understood, though, is argument that "the army teaches discipline and respect." I suspect that any army-barracks town at closing-time on a Saturday night, full of macho pissed-up, off-duty squaddies would soon disprove this claim.

And people who say "It never did me any harm" have often been emotionally damaged, and lack empathy for others - in other words, it did do them harm, but they don't realise how, or how much.
It would be a no win no fee lawyers dream.
Did you suffer during national service call free 0800……

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And of course many Tories have always accused her of being a 'leftie'. It’s how these things work. Trying to be even handed always has this result. Each side picks up only on those comments or guests that make them bristle, ignoring the things they agree with. Confirmation bias.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
During the recruitment of WW1 when the working classes still thought the British Empire was a good thing, they queued to join, indeed Sussex had 19 Infantry battalions (now only 3 Battalions cover Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, Surrey and part of Middlesex).
Then men and boys were rejected for flat feet or heart murmurs. Imagine the reasons/excuses today!!!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely. Always been a Tory. Not even hiding it now.
I stand corrected. So how does she get away with it? ???

Edit: I looked her up I'm not yet convinced that she acts in the tory interest while working as a journalist:

An interview with Boris Johnson in July 2020 led to over 100 complaints against Kuenssberg being submitted to the BBC alleging that she had overly interrupted Johnson and was displaying bias against the government. The BBC defended Kuenssberg, stating that she had conducted the interview in a 'thorough, firm but fair manner.'

In November 2020, some economists criticised Kuenssberg's assessment of Rishi Sunak's economic statement, suggesting she lacked understanding of economics. The BBC defended Kuenssberg, stating that she was summarising the position of the Chancellor and that its economics editor, Faisal Islam, had then given the opposite position.

In a July 2017 Spectator article, Charles Moore wrote of being told "informally" that Kuenssberg had received protection by a bodyguard during the 2017 general election. The BBC had believed her safety was under threat because of online abuse considered to be mainly from supporters of Jeremy Corbyn. The BBC refused to comment about the story. The Labour politician Yvette Cooper defended the BBC's political editor: "It's her job to ask difficult questions. It's her job to be sceptical about everything we say". By the end of the campaign, Kuenssberg was also being abused by some Conservative and UKIP supporters.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Since 2019 I don't think she has had that approach. She has been doe eyed in front of her dear Boris. Cummings admitted she was their go to journo to provide stories to.

At the last election she posted details of postal vote counts ahead of polling day. She claimed Hancock had been assaulted on a hospital visit (he hadnt) and doxed a father of a patient who have johnson a hard time on a hospital visit.

Add to that he claim the London mayoral election was too close to call and you have to question of she will fit in a post Robbie gibb bbc world
Thanks. Your comments map to my 2 minute bit of research this morning. I suspect that if she were a bloke nobody would have ever criticized him.

HipPriest

May 21, 2024
The last ditch attempt of a failing government to garner votes from the the right, Mail/Express reading, jingoists; blame the young for the county's ills...they already have enough to contend with, no affordable homes, rampant inflation, a growing divide from the rich, governments who are doing little to mitigate climate change, the hollowing out of humanities in further education, the problems associated with social media; they are already engaged in activism. I applaud their resilience, we have sold them down the river with Brexit. it would be pandering to populism. Europe is already in the grip of a far right resurgence. It bodes us well to recall history. Wake up!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Thanks. Your comments map to my 2 minute bit of research this morning. I suspect that if she were a bloke nobody would have ever criticized him.
I criticise Justin Webb and nick robinson for often being too soft on govt 'guests' on the today programme.

I often found james obrien to be the other way.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Half expecting next weekend that they'll announce that if they get re-elected the country will leave the ECHR which will free up enough money to raise the state pension by £100 a week, clear the NHS backlog and make youngsters respect policemen .... not police women, they will have to leave the force to have babies.

Then they'll promise that after leaving the ECHR we can have a referendum or bring back capital punishment. This will be identified as a Brexit benefit.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Desperation from the Tories - not costed - not thought through - no consideration of the army of bureaucrats needed to operate it or managing the penalties for dodging it. Totally unworkable. Just dismally desperate

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I criticise Justin Webb and nick robinson for often being too soft on govt 'guests' on the today programme.

I often found james obrien to be the other way.
I am a radio 5 man in the main. So I am used to the turbulent waters between hard core political journalism and dumbed down soundbitism 'to reach all our audience'.

Peter Allen once of drive time annoyed me for sounding like a mocking Clive Anderson every time he interviewed a politician
Toney Livesey always strikes me a channel 5 type who has toned himself down via yoga and sedatives and has become anodyne

My favourite interviewer is Nicky Campbell. Sadly he would probably struggle with daily political interviews

At the sharper end, Andrew Marr was, and Faisal Islam and Chris Mason are all excellent.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Because traditional right wingers will come up with some rubbish about Tories thinking she is a 'leftie' proving she must be balanced.

Without any evidence whatsoever of anything she has ever done that could be considered 'leftie' of course :lolol:
How rare!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here