Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we Bring Back National Service? Sunak says YES.

Would you support a Form of Military Service? If so, what kind?

• No, not in any form

Votes: 223 54.0%
  • One month, as a voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • One year, voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Voluntary military service for 12 months

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Compulsory community based military service for one month

Votes: 26 6.3%
  • Compulsory military service for 12 months

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • How old are you - 18-24

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 25-49

Votes: 83 20.1%
  • 50-64

Votes: 121 29.3%
  • 65+

Votes: 59 14.3%

• Total voters

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
When all of the politicians and the wealthy sign up their sons and daughters first!!
It is they who choose the enemy and then escalate, choosing battle over diplomacy, while sitting safe in their luxury underground bunkers which the British tax payer and those who they want to fight and die has paid for.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely pandering to those shitstalga Twitter accounts that recall “yesterday’s Britain” by showing a picture of lots of white people and a Union flag, and not mentioning rationing was still a thing when it was taken.
I pointed out, in one of those tweets showing jolly children sitting at a street party table, for the 1953 Coronation, that there was no food on the table.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
This is fantastic news, the government has brought back rickets, scurvy and poverty and so national service is the perfect next step.

if they promise to bring back the birch, shillings by abolishing decimalisation and DEAN WILKINS (7TH!!!) then they have my vote for life.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Lots of countries have national service including Sweden,Denmark,Norway and Finland.
All of those countries provide their population with the highest standards of living.
They also have much higher rates of taxation used to provide their population with better services.

I suspect this has more of an impact on a willingness of the population to put something back.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
All of those countries provide their population with the highest standards of living.
They also have much higher rates of taxation used to provide their population with better services.

I suspect this has more of an impact on a willingness of the population to put something back.
And those countries, from a cursory Wikipedia read, have had conscription enshrined in constitutions for many decades, hundreds of years for some of them. It's part of their culture almost.

Us? We only had it during and for a brief period after war time.

If people want kids to feel some sort of national identity, of pride, of belonging - how about we give them something to be proud about?

It's just pathetic straw clutching

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I know right.

The easy question for any political journo now is 'have you given up on levelling up'? Or even 'do you now admit that the brexit fund can't deliver what it promised'? Because that's where this money is coming from

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It has been suggested elsewhere that Laura K has lost her balanced approach and even-handedness and has become a strange doe-eyed sunk-buddy. Is this the case?

Since 2019 I don't think she has had that approach. She has been doe eyed in front of her dear Boris. Cummings admitted she was their go to journo to provide stories to.

At the last election she posted details of postal vote counts ahead of polling day. She claimed Hancock had been assaulted on a hospital visit (he hadnt) and doxed a father of a patient who have johnson a hard time on a hospital visit.

Add to that he claim the London mayoral election was too close to call and you have to question of she will fit in a post Robbie gibb bbc world

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Attachments

• 1716705867466.jpeg
    1716705867466.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 24

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Utter bullshit - as if youngsters are the problem...

Given the Tories have driven out the international workforce we rely on we also need these people working not being sent away on a gammon training course.
Maybe national service in the NHS would be a good idea, or fixing pot holes... staffing the services that the Tories have underfunded for the last 13 years.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Absolutely pandering to those shitstalga Twitter accounts that recall “yesterday’s Britain” by showing a picture of lots of white people and a Union flag, and not mentioning rationing was still a thing when it was taken.
Bring back rationing too, that'll sort out the entitled little shits*! Ration their WiFi and avocado's, that'll sort em out.

* disclaimer: my experience of this generation of teens is that they are no more entitled than other generations of teenagers.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
yes it is relevant. why should today’s 18 year olds be gleefully volunteered for national service by older generations that said generations haven’t had to do it themselves? is it because they’re ‘stroppy and entitled’ and more lacking in disciple or whatever than their elders? that narrative, which is the narrative that the tories are angling towards with this policy, whether they openly say it or not, is absolute bollocks. show me the evidence that says today’s teenagers are any more entitled than those of previous generations
The attack on Wembley is one example of all generations which included a lot of 18-20s

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It has been suggested elsewhere that Laura K has lost her balanced approach and even-handedness and has become a strange doe-eyed sunk-buddy. Is this the case?
I think that Mrs DiS is of the opinion that Laura K always gives Mr Sunk and his entourage far too easy a time.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
"Be prepared" my scout leader used to tell us, and I have carried that mantra through my life to great effect. The kids of today are being brain washed by social media many to there detriment. As much a I hate to say it, Sunak may have something here to change this country from those hoodie no hoper kids back into respectful people.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There is no way the parents of little Poppy & Rupert are ever going to let them go to an army camp, Christ they don’t let them walk to school by themselves.
Sunak has lost the plot he’s alienated the parents of the Poppy & Rupert’s who probably would have voted Tory.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m sure it will have been costed out ages ago. The business owning friends and families of the Tories will have long worked out what all those volunteers doing their “Work” in their business will save them in wages.
See my post on other thread. At £2.5 billion a year, I doubt it has.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This has got to be a vote loser . Modern people find anything compulsory to be an anathema.
Anyway the options are ridiculously loaded . 12 months full time in the army or weekends sweeping floors in the hospital? The NHS would be swamped with youngsters taking an easy option…

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I like what they do in Switzerland. They have national service but you can opt to do "civil service" instead where you do community-based activities. A guy I worked with went off to work in some castle museum where he helped to clean up and log archaeological artefacts ready for display. He was gone about 6 weeks. He moaned like hell before going but came back saying it was a fascinating experience, and had opened new interests for him.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I find it rather strange that Sunak says that those that aren't suitable will be required to do volunteering at weekends.

If you are being press ganged into doing it, it's not volunteering which by it's very nature must be something you decide to do rather than being forced to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here