Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we be careful what we wish for ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Should we be careful what we wish for ?

No.

The prospect of a European tour is very much still in our hands, however watching the last few games it is very plain to see we lack depth.

Yes, because we didn't strengthen for the scenario where we'd be forced to play 1/4 of our season in the last month. If we made EL, we'd strengthen.

Anyone else worried ?
I'm worried we won't get the European football our team has earned.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I have thought for a while that 8th would be no disaster for reasons OP says. I think of the crushing disappointment drawing at Middlesbrough and missing promo by a goal; but it worked out for the best in following season, and we have had 6 PL seasons while Boro in Championship. I think we still will make Europe and hope we do, trusting our recruitment to bolster depth, but not too disappointed if we miss out.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Honestly, I feel the OP and I share a certain tendency to look ahead with concern, worrying about what could go wrong. It’s a natural tendency for many of us, but I try (often failing) to recognise it in myself.

As other posters have kindly pointed out, the same people who got us here are planning our next steps. They’re not omniscient, there will be missteps, but they’ve certainly earned our trust.

Try to enjoy whatever this and next season brings, I’m always much happier when I manage to distract myself away from my own anxieties. We’ve been playing some great football.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do understand the concern but I think this year has seen an exceptional scenario (mostly due to the World Cup) and in a normal season we’d see the club strengthen the squad accordingly

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
As far as I can tell, the worst thing that can happen is we crash out of whichever European competition we might qualify for earlier than we might like.
There's a decent chance that the vagaries of form for all teams will see us finish lower in the table next season anyway. What's the point in worrying about it?
Edit: I'm already pissed off that if we qualify for Europe, any losses early next season, or slightly poorer than expected form, will be pinned on "ooh, how could little tichy Brighton expect to compete in Europe and the Premier League at the same time? Don't they know only BIG teams can manage that? They should be grateful just to be here" by twats who manage to maintain a 1:1 ratio of brain cells to football matches they've actually been to.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It will be interesting to see whether RDZ's style of play will be as effective next season.
There will be an element of the other managers working him out and who knows whether the squad can perform so well again.

In regards to thestrength of teh squad, the club hav already demonstrated they are prepared to spend to get in teh personnel required.
I'm not concerned about that side of things.
We will also have Moder, Alzate returning as well as Sima, Adingra, Kozlowski, Karbownik, Roberts to be assessed too.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Not remotely worried.
We're obviously extremely short at the moment, but that's because (in no small part because the PL failed to rearrange certain fixtures much earlier in the season) we've had an intensive fixture load when, going in to the season, it was not expected that we'd be subjected to one. We've also got nine absentees at present, many of whom are regular starters, the remainder would be on the bench -- nine is far higher than our rivals.
If we make it into Europe, Bloom, etc will recognise that we need to strengthen the depth of the squad. And if we've been paying attention, it's pretty obvious that the early transfer incomings (Pedro, Milner, Dahoud, ...) indicate that this is recognised but actioned as early as is possible.
this above - no time for bed wetters - enjoy where we are

plus lookig at the sequence......

W 6 - 0
E 1 - 5
A 3 - 0
N 1 - 4

S 1.5 - 0
MC 1 - 3
V 0.75 - 0

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Little old Brighton potentially qualifying for European competition will never be worrying.

No point worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet, the club will address the squad depth issues in the summer.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Little old Brighton potentially qualifying for European competition will never be worrying.

No point worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet, the club will address the squad depth issues in the summer.
The key thing is not to overpay for dross we can’t shift later on, that’s what has done for the likes of Southampton, West Ham, Leeds and Burnley in the past. I don’t expect us to do that as it’s not how we operate, and I have every faith in the club to hold the line.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The prospect of a European tour is very much still in our hands, however watching the last few games it is very plain to see we lack depth.
We cannot cope with the injuries and lack of depth in the squad, two heavy defeats show how vulnerable we actually are.
Imagine if we started off next season with a few defeats and a European tour, it is all to easy to fall into a spiral that could spin out of control.
We have a brilliant young manager, who we all know is highly strung, very fiery that could just leave at a drop of hat if things don't go his way.

Investment is obviously needed in the squad, Milner hopefully will be a great addition to the squad, but we will sorely miss Moisés and Ali McC, they will be extremely hard to replace. Young Billy Gilmour could be Ali Macs replacement, but I think he will take another season to really stamp his authority on the squad. Connor Gallagher would be a great addition, but wages will see to that as a pipe dream.

I really hope we achieve the dream on Sunday, that would make a great weekend, and a less stressful visit to Villa Park next.

What I fear is next season imploding and overstretching ourselves.

It is never to soon to follow your dreams, and hopefully we can recruit well enough to cope, because clearly we are struggling with the amount of games at the moment.

Anyone else worried ?
Yeah, that 3-0 win away at the team still going for the title was AWFUL :lol:

But seriously, I get what you're saying, but if any club in the league is set up for planning for every eventuality – including adding European football into the mix next season – it's Brighton. The recruitment has already begun, we've got a load of players out on loan who will come back and be assessed and I have no doubt that the squad will be in pretty good shape come the start of the season (or end of the transfer window).

TB is a fan and, like the rest of us fans, there is NO WAY he would do anything to jeopardise the club's place in the PL. IMO, like.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Dunno if I'm wired wrong but I tend to worry about stuff when it happens good or bad then deal with it, example,I know I've got 2 loose tiles on the roof and they've been loose for 3 years I've been here,but I'm no way going up there until they slide off into the sunset,life's too short,if we do it brilliant,if we don't then I presume my tiles will still be there next season.

P.S what's the going rate for roof tilers per tile?
Depends if you need to get scaffolding up for it...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to make a comment on behalf of all the 'seniors' out there, just like me. I've been there, done that, purchased the shepherds pie on the Seagull Special train to Lincoln. I've waited over 50 years to see BHA play a European game and I'm not waiting one more year. Europa League guarantees 6 games and I'll be at every one of them, probably shedding floods of tears. I'm prepared for Sunday because if it happens then, I'll be in bits.
Will it ruin our season next year? Couldn't care less.
Will we go down? Couldn't care less.
My team, #teamslikebrighton, will be playing in Europe.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
No.

Not worried at all.

We actually already have a squad to compete in 4 competitions next season (including Europe) when you add in the likes of Pedro and quality players out on loan like Adingra and Alzate. We’ve probably already got Dahoud & Milner and will have players like Lallana, Lamptey and Moder returning from injury.

We won’t be left short again.

And as for Connor Gallagher, that really is hitting the panic button with the desire for him being a direct symptom of the defeat last night
last night would've been very different with one of Colwill, Webster or Veltman partnering Dunk. Van Hecke has potential but a pressure cooker atmosphere like last night wasnt the right place Newcastle targeted him from the early stages
Strange that it is defence that has left us exposed in such a way.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'd like to make a comment on behalf of all the 'seniors' out there, just like me. I've been there, done that, purchased the shepherds pie on the Seagull Special train to Lincoln. I've waited over 50 years to see BHA play a European game and I'm not waiting one more year. Europa League guarantees 6 games and I'll be at every one of them, probably shedding floods of tears. I'm prepared for Sunday because if it happens then, I'll be in bits.
Will it ruin our season next year? Couldn't care less.
Will we go down? Couldn't care less.
My team, #teamslikebrighton, will be playing in Europe.
Thank you Sir, needed that pep post....
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
we have a shed load of injuries, we will be fine, relax and enjoy.

3 already practically in the door for next season too :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here