Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should turkeys have the right to vote?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We're often told that 'Turkeys don't vote for Christmas' but is that because they aren't allowed to? Maybe they would if given the vote - after all they're usually the centrepiece of the Christmas dinner so maybe they'd like all that attention?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a stupid idea.

1) A turkey isn't a human being so is therefore has no human rights
2) Even if you could offer a turkey the chance to vote, it wouldn't have a clue what the voting paper actually was
3) It might tread all over the voting paper and miraculously post the voting slip into the box using it's beak, but even if it was deemed to have placed a cross on one of the boxes as opposed to officially "spoiling" the paper, the chances are that it would be a totally random vote.

Honestly, did you think about this at all?

Dec 29, 2011
It's a stupid idea.

2) Even if you could offer a turkey the chance to vote, it wouldn't have a clue what the voting paper actually was
3) It might tread all over the voting paper and miraculously post the voting slip into the box using it's beak, but even if it was deemed to have placed a cross on one of the boxes as opposed to officially "spoiling" the paper, the chances are that it would be a totally random vote.

I don't think the OP was being 100% serious about letting Turkeys vote.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
If they're in prison then no - they shouldn't have the right.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The thing is with the Ocellated Turkey (meleagris ocellata) is that they aren't on the electoral register. Even if a turkey were to make it to the local polling station and somehow, as Simster suggested, posted a vote with its beak, the vote would indeed be spoiled due to the fact that turkeys aren't eligible to vote - particularly if they haven't registered.

I don't understand why some people are getting confused by this

I think the question may be irrelevant to be honest, I'm fairly sure that most Turkey's only live for about 8 months, we'd have to change the entire Voting system to allow the Under 1 year olds to vote and that could mean we'd end up with Peppa Pig as PM.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think the question may be irrelevant to be honest, I'm fairly sure that most Turkey's only live for about 8 months, we'd have to change the entire Voting system to allow the Under 1 year olds to vote and that could mean we'd end up with Peppa Pig as PM.

Right, quick, start a new thread titled "Should Peppa Pig have the right to run for parliament?"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a stupid idea.

It's a very poultry theme for a thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here