Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

should ticket prices be fixed?

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
after seeing the price of west ham and Ipswich away is £24.
and an away ticket a chelsea is £47!!!!

should each league be capped into how much they can charge for tickets?

I,d suggest

Max

Premiership- £30
championship- £20
league 1 & 2 -£15

we have the most expensive tickets in europe as it is!!!

surley this would get more people though the turnstiles for the lower league clubs, and stop clubs getting promoted to the premiership exploting their fans.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Would it be enforceable though? I'm sure the legal teams at Man Ure, Chelski and Arsenal would argue that they should be able to charge what they want. :nono: :rolleyes:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Depends on the Facilities at each club though, example for last season:

I quite happily pay £15 for an Away Plymouth ticket.

I would'nt wanna pay more than £8 for an Away Colchester/Brentford ticket.

You should pay for what you get but agreed there should be a "Top Level Cap", but then again those with crap facilities - how are they gonna generate cash to upgrade with we put them in the "Cheap Seats" category?

I seem to of argued against myself!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Its a good idea, too many ex-premiership clubs seem to forget the fact that the product has changed when they drop down a division and conveniently also forget to adjust the price accordingly.

Can see it happening in theory, I can just imagine the European Courts getting their teeth into this one.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
There should be a regulatory body which ensures fans are not ripped off.

Some clubs, like us, have to charge a high price to break even but there is no reason why clubs need to charge a lot more than that.

Prices are high to drive the lower classes out of the game.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Rougvie said:
Its a good idea, too many ex-premiership clubs seem to forget the fact that the product has changed when they drop down a division and conveniently also forget to adjust the price accordingly.

Can see it happening in theory, I can just imagine the European Courts getting their teeth into this one.

In that Case the relegated club would argue "but we have Premiership wages too pay" and wont budge on away ticket prices. All swings all roundabouts and one of those areas that will be bloody hard to please everyone!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
fatboy said:
There should be a regulatory body which ensures fans are not ripped off.

Some clubs, like us, have to charge a high price to break even but there is no reason why clubs need to charge a lot more than that.

Prices are high to drive the lower classes out of the game.

So you want direct Government interference with day to day running of football? You think thing will be better? Wont the big premiership clubs, with the ability and funds to lobby the government, not end up with things in their favour anyway?

Why shouldnt clubs aim to make profit? If that profit is re-invested in the club then isnt it the fans that benefit. And by your arguement, alot of clubs should be charging *more* as they dont break even. Most clubs, even the large ones, rely on investors dipping there hand in pocket knowing they'll never see that money again.

Prices are high as thats what people are prepared to pay. Up to a point, the clubs accountants dont give a monkey where you come from in the social spectrum, they just wont your cash.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
beorhthelm said:
So you want direct Government interference with day to day running of football? You think thing will be better? Wont the big premiership clubs, with the ability and funds to lobby the government, not end up with things in their favour anyway?

Does not need to be government run at all. The FA could do it, or set up an independent panel to do it.

beorhthelm said:

Why shouldnt clubs aim to make profit? If that profit is re-invested in the club then isnt it the fans that benefit.

Have no problem with clubs making a profit at all. If ticket prices were capped they would have to manage their finances better and find other ways of making revenue if necessary, such as begging letters.

beorhthelm said:

And by your arguement, alot of clubs should be charging *more* as they dont break even.

My point there was in circumstances like ours we have to charge more then you would expect to pay to come to a ground like Withdean with the (lack of) facilities we have there.

I think there should be a cap on ticket prices depending on which division the club is playing in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The point about regulation is that the FA/FL have no power to do anything along these lines, it requires some form of legislation. clubs are simply companies like any other and can charge what they like.

The real issue is not ticket prices, but the other end of the finances - players wages. What the FA/FL/Premiership could do is maintain some form of wage capping. American Football has, i understand, a sytem where the clubs overall wage bill is capped, whihc might be workable. the main problem with this is how to deal with indirect sources of payments, ie players taking second jobs with sponsors/patrons. They also dont have to deal with the problems promotion/relegation would create.

wont happen anyway as it would need agreement of all the clubs.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I don't think wage capping is a good idea.

The system in America is entirely different; for example in basketball there are about 30 teams all competing against each other, there isn't a tiered system like here.

Clubs should be able to pay what they want; if they are good at raising revenues they should be able to spend it how they see fit. I do, however, think there should be harsh penalties for financial mismanagement in clubs.

If the FA have the power to impose wage caps then surely they have the power to impose price caps on tickets. It is their league and they make the rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here