Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should This Season Be Suspended?

Should this season be suspended?

• Yes

Votes: 107 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 84 44.0%

• Total voters

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've voted yes but I'm not too sure. Last season it re-started to allow Liverpool to win the league, along with all the money involved.
This season there is only one thing for sure, Sheff United are going down. But there is still a lot of money involved. Championship and all leagues down are struggling unbelievably with little to no income but fixtures to play. Canceling would allow them to put players on furlough at least.
Thought. If a League 1 or 2 player was told to train at home and only come in on match day, can the club claim wages for the 6 days at home?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I've voted yes but I'm not too sure. Last season it re-started to allow Liverpool to win the league, along with all the money involved.
This season there is only one thing for sure, Sheff United are going down. But there is still a lot of money involved. Championship and all leagues down are struggling unbelievably with little to no income but fixtures to play. Canceling would allow them to put players on furlough at least.
Thought. If a League 1 or 2 player was told to train at home and only come in on match day, can the club claim wages for the 6 days at home?

I would say not. They would be working from home.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A couple of weeks off seems like a good idea to me. Why not suspend things now, then look at how things are going each week and then decide when to restart - it's not as if any ticket holders will cause any problems.

I think this is a good shout.

Would be best to postpone the season now and take stock of what happens in the next month. If some games are cancelled and some not, we may as well postpone.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ethically, I can't see how it can go on much longer with transmission rates as they are and hospitals at or near capacity.

With more and more squads reporting cases I can't imagine the players are too keen on training and playing either, given the implications for their career if they contract 'long covid.'

I don't think it should be voided yet; just suspended whilst this third wave is brought under some form of control.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It only needs one to get seriously ill whether manager, coach, physio, doctor or player and it will shut down and that's only a matter of time.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Null and Void reporters are out again, according to the Telegraph ( behind a paywall) The Premier League has to complete 60% of games or the season will be null and void if cancelled..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...box=1609347140
Ah ha !

I was sure they'd already agreed the voiding threshold for this season - unlike last season - but I couldn't remember the important details of what was decided.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
At this point it appears a really odd thing for football to continue. I understand the club was upfront in pointing out the contradictions, but personally I was very uncomfortable with them being at the forefront of the campaign of letting fans back in. I'll rather listen to the scientists than the CEO of a football club.

The pandemic has become hugely politicised rather than being a simple health issue. Premier League clubs used their wealth and access to power to act politically to stay open and I suspect history will judge them as such.

It doesn't sit nicely with me when other businesses have been forced (rightly) to close.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I think it should. Restart when things have returned closer to normal.

(Plus the Albion are pony at the moment, I am deriving little pleasure from watching them Or the rest of the PL for that matter.)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It would have been suspended by now but for the headaches of future fixture congestion re impact on the Euros and then WC. That's the main reason obviously. It should be the government enforcing it (and they should have done by now) rather than letting Fifa/Eufa/Premier League make the decision.

However, on a purely selfish outlook I'm glad it's still on, even though it shouldn't be.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Hasn’t furlough finished ?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
At this point it appears a really odd thing for football to continue. I understand the club was upfront in pointing out the contradictions, but personally I was very uncomfortable with them being at the forefront of the campaign of letting fans back in. I'll rather listen to the scientists than the CEO of a football club.

The pandemic has become hugely politicised rather than being a simple health issue. Premier League clubs used their wealth and access to power to act politically to stay open and I suspect history will judge them as such.

It doesn't sit nicely with me when other businesses have been forced (rightly) to close.
Is the argument about football simply because some businesses have closed and it isn't fair that others stay open, or is there actual evidence that football is spreading the disease to the point that it is increasing hospital visits? In spite of extensive testing, it appears that they are finding confirmed coronavirus cases at a lower rate than the population as a whole. I know football is only entertainment and not life and death, but on the other hand when you are forced to sit at home for months on end, a bit of entertainment is a good thing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It seems probably we're in the "eye of the storm" now virus-wise at the moment. If it's going to be suspended, it'll happen pretty soon.

I think it's unlikely, rightly or wrongly.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not yet but we're close...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Saw a report that there are only 3 dates available for rearranged PL matches due to European competition and national weeks. Some of those already taken due to previously postponed matches, so understandable reluctance to suspend. 30-40 positive tests including some non players is surely manageable but an increase could cause a rethink. The problem is that suspending more than 2 matches (which may only be a week) will mean fixture congestion the like of which has not been seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here