Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should there be a 3rd/4th playoff game at the WC?

Should there be a 3rd/4th place game in the WC?

• Yes, yes there should, and the reason is in my post

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • No, it's a total waste of time

Votes: 81 84.4%

• Total voters

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I haven't voted because, while it is a pointless waste of time, I will still be watching it. As will hundreds of millions of other people around the world. To vote in the poll would make me seem hypocritical.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I suppose it's a chance for the players not yet used to get a game. Is there prize money on it ?

Whatever, it's a pretty pointless exercise, which I will avidly watch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In Sweden (I'm saying that a lot lately), they're so bloody proud of finishing 3rd at USA '94. It's not referred to as "that time we got to the semi-final", it's "the time we finished 3rd at the World Cup!".
In England, we don't give a shit what the Swedes think.

:)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
In Sweden (I'm saying that a lot lately), they're so bloody proud of finishing 3rd at USA '94. It's not referred to as "that time we got to the semi-final", it's "the time we finished 3rd at the World Cup!".

Not so sure bigger footballing nations would have the same attitude, but I can understand why it's played.

they finished 2nd in '58

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Don't see the harm. Presumably the teams who have for there will have had a pretty successful World Cup and it's a chance for them to celebrate with no pressure, and the 7-8 players who've not featured to get a game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I bet the Brazil players want this game like a hole in the head. I've never seen a team look more distraught and shellshocked as the one that trudged off the pitch that night. It'll be interesting to see the crowds reaction, being as they were "ole"-ing the Germans and booing their own team by the end.

Fred will probably need an armed esort.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Without it there would be an odd amount of games in the tournament.

For that reason, it must stay.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would imagine those saying no, myself included, have known the pain of semi-final defeat, and those saying yes, haven't. Like others have said, I didn't bother watching it in 1990.

It's odd to think that generally, the fans that want the game least of all are the fans of the two teams playing in it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think, for the majority, it is all rather pointless.

But just imagine this scenario - you've booked a month off work and saved hard for 4 years.
You've booked your accommodation for the duration and your flight home is the day after the final.
If you're team got beaten in the semis, wouldn't you want the opportunity to see them play one more time?

But, yes, for all the other fans, "Meh" is the likely view.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Absolutely there should be and van Gaal should shut his fat mouth moaning about it too, the sore loser ugly Dutch gimp.

They provide a good curtain raiser to the world cup final itself, they're actually pretty good, more open games when there's a lot less at stake, somewhere between a friendly and a tournament fixture. And they give everyone a chance to give a good send-off to and to a last chance to see two teams that have done bloody well to get as far as they have.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Serves no purpose at all. Just let the players go back to their clubs and prepare for the next season. I cant imagine that they really want to play the fixture.....:smokin:

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I voted yes. I always feel a bit sad and depressed when the World Cup comes to an end, so any excuse to squeeze every last drop out of it in the closing stages is good enough for me.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
No its a waste of time but thinking about it if Brazil lost it would be icing on the cake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here