Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should the queen abdicate?

Should she stay or should she go now?

• NO WAY - she's here, till she's not here, so to speak

Votes: 101 56.4%
  • YES WAY - time to give Charles his moment before he's too old himself!

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • MAYBE WAY - Only if its HRH Prince William who takes over

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • WAY OUT - Make her the last monarch - time for UK to become a republic like Australia did

Votes: 46 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Well, there's that Aussie guy who wastes his life on here who calls himself a Libertarian and is endlessly banging on about cancel culture - right up to the point where he admitted he wanted sex education posts removed from social media and for the teaching of it to be changed in schools.

Either you have free speech or you don't. Cohen understands that. The brofloke disciples of Steve Bannon? Not so much.

I don't think Bannon is a Libertarian. He veers more towards "alt-right" nationalism. It is difficult to separate these strands these days, but Rand Paul would be considered more of a true Libertarian. Terms get bandied about and misused these days as it all becomes one big blur.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Refined character :lol:

Prince Andrew must have had similar schooling and upbringing, no?

I can tell you are smart guy from a lot of what you write on here, so for you to quote one opposite example to disprove a whole theory surprises me. I can only assume it is half in humour?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't think Bannon is a Libertarian. He veers more towards "alt-right" nationalism. It is difficult to separate these strands these days, but Rand Paul would be considered more of a true Libertarian. Terms get bandied about and misused these days as it all becomes one big blur.

I agree. Bannon is influenced more by René Guenon than Murray Rothbard. Interestingly, Prince Charles is apparently a fan of the Frenchman too.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
It is often very difficult to know someone’s achievements when they are at the top as they have teams around them to devise and implement strategy. Also worth pointing out that Charles (and for that matter Elizabeth) are figureheads. On your separate point about schooling I can assure you that an expensive education does not automatically lead to ‘refined character.’ Often it is quite the opposite.

I agree with your first point to a degree, but there have to be good intentions or the good works would never happen. Surely we have to praise anything positive in the world we have around us today, rather than always criticise?

As for your second point, yes sometimes it can be the opposite, but, if in general private education didn't give people better life chances and skills, no one would pay for it. I am not saying it is right, just that is the way it often is. That is the general rule - it doesn't mean there are not exceptions.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I can tell you are smart guy from a lot of what you write on here, so for you to quote one opposite example to disprove a whole theory surprises me. I can only assume it is half in humour?

I could deliver multiple examples of rich people who went to snobby, heavy discipline schools and turned into proper ********s. I've never bought into the upper class somehow having "better character" than the rest of us - at best they are only better at hiding their shit, masters of public relations. Charities is a good example. Every rich person and their mum got one and plenty of people actually buy the idea that it is because they are eager to improve the world rather than it being some kind of system to avoid taxes and laundry/transfer money.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I agree with your first point to a degree, but there have to be good intentions or the good works would never happen. Surely we have to praise anything positive in the world we have around us today, rather than always criticise?

As for your second point, yes sometimes it can be the opposite, but, if in general private education didn't give people better life chances and skills, no one would pay for it. I am not saying it is right, just that is the way it often is. That is the general rule - it doesn't mean there are not exceptions.

With regard to the first point, isn't a bit of charity work the very least we should expect from the future king?

As for the second, having better life chances doesn't equate to having a better character.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the major difference is that the child's, contacts, parents are monied. it speeks nothing of the content of a person's character, as you stated as your original point

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
One man's pseudoscience is another man's science is another man's snake oil. Actually no, it is his eyebrows I like.

On a serious note, do you disagree that they are his achievements or disagree that they are positive achievements?

so you do understand that the inference of this post is utter bollox?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just feel now is the perfect time for her Majesty to step aside and give the longer suffering (of sort) Charles a few years - though others may have other ideas? what are your thoughts?

For the record Australia is not a republic, though there is talk of a second referendum

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Doesn’t seem a lot of point, I suspect nature will take it’s course at some point in the next few years, and Charles seems to do it all now anyway

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Prince's Trust charity and 16 other charities
The creation of Poundbury as an example of how modern architectural towns should be for the good of community
Organic farming and produce through the Duchy range
A campaigner on environmental issues
Completed a military career

That is for starters from the top of my head. I would say that is more achievement than your sniping "successful" journalist is likely to achieve.

Given that he was born into his situation it is commendable that he has engaged so enthusiastically with humanist issues when he could quite easily have kept his head down and trawled the planet for self-indulgence while being a pompous and obnoxious tit, like his brother. So I commend his choices. Not sure his military career amounted to much more than that of Sergeant Arthur Wilson but, in the absence of bloody conflict, we can let that pass.

All that is far, far from a justification for the continuation of the Royals, of course. Failure to be a relentless shit. Many of us can lay claim to that. And I say that as someone who favours the Royal continuation (albeit with some rearrangement of the finances, and a reduction in the number of related beneficiaries to the arrangements, as I noted elsewhere).

Still, where does he stand on fox hunting? Romantic, I think he said.

**** on a horse.jpg

And his ideas of succession, when he was younger, amounted to little more than finding a reasonably blue blooded virgin to breed with, while coninuing his real agenda with another man's wife. He did eventually formalize his true love, but not till he'd driven his princess wife to dispair. That wasn't very nice.

Could happen to anyone, of course. Which is human. We all make ghastly mistakes for indefensible reasons. None of us are special, after all :shrug:

Despite his gurning and palpable lack of brain, I don't mind the Prince. And I hope he becomes King and continues to spread goodwill.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Prince Andrew wasn't being refined for the role of King which Charles was. It wouldn't have just been about the school but everything else around him.

Right ho.

Being prepared for King? Marry the first nubile aristo that comes up, treat her like crap and believe in shaky shaky water curing people.

Not being prepared for King? Shag anything that moves, regardless of suitability. As an alibi, claim you don't sweat.

Might as well still be the 1600s.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Wondering this myself. Last I remember was a rigged question being put to referendum that ended in the sheeple voting to stay a constitutional monarchy.

On an ongoing day to day basis, there is more media coverage of the Royals here than in the UK. They need to fill the 24 hour news channels with something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here