Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the EU voting system be weighted?

WELL?

• Total voters

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I thought this thread was going to be advocating fatties only get a small vote. Ah well... I'll move on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some day all these youngsters that reckon they know best, and that older people must just be selfish in wishing to leave, will find out something. One day, they will probably have kids, and then they will suddenly find out what the rest of us already know - that every parent (and grandparent) wants what's best for their children. Not necessarily for themselves, but for their children.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Some day all these youngsters that reckon they know best, and that older people must just be selfish in wishing to leave, will find out something. One day, they will probably have kids, and then they will suddenly find out what the rest of us already know - that every parent (and grandparent) wants what's best for their children. Not necessarily for themselves, but for their children.

That's not necessarily a good thing in all cases. Parents and grandparents may be more likely (understandably) to vote in favour of what they predict will be best for their children and families, whereas people without such responsibilities may look at the bigger picture and vote in favour of what benefits the country, or indeed the planet, as a whole.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's not necessarily a good thing in all cases. Parents and grandparents may be more likely (understandably) to vote in favour of what they predict will be best for their children and families, whereas people without such responsibilities may look at the bigger picture and vote in favour of what benefits the country, or indeed the planet, as a whole.

What benefits the country, and the planet, etc, will also benefit the children. Voting for what's best for my children is not an alternative to what's best for the country - the two go hand in hand.
It's significant that while you label the parents' view as "what they predict", but you don't include the slightly critical rider "what they predict" to the view of those you think are voting for the good of the planet,

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
What benefits the country, and the planet, etc, will also benefit the children. Voting for what's best for my children is not an alternative to what's best for the country - the two go hand in hand.
It's significant that while you label the parents' view as "what they predict", but you don't include the slightly critical rider "what they predict" to the view of those you think are voting for the good of the planet,
Not always the case. For example, inheritance tax. Most people, quite understandably, want to hand their inheritance to their children. However, it would benefit society the most in economic terms if their inheritance was spread across many more people.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not always the case. For example, inheritance tax. Most people, quite understandably, want to hand their inheritance to their children. However, it would benefit society the most in economic terms if their inheritance was spread across many more people.

Haven't heard inheritance tax mentioned by either side, so not relevant. Don't suppose the rules will change either way the referendum goes.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Haven't heard inheritance tax mentioned by either side, so not relevant. Don't suppose the rules will change either way the referendum goes.
I'm not talking about the referendum, just giving an example of where people with children may be more inclined to vote for things that directly benefit their own children, rather than what will benefit the wider society.

Dec 29, 2011
I post I made elsewhere probably betrays my thoughts on the matter...

If we only listened to the educated the poorer less-educated class would suffer. You can't deny a lot of low skilled jobs are currently worked by economic migrants, te same jobs the less educated are competing for. I'm voting remain but you must see how your suggestion is silly on more than one level?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Surely the less time you have to live with the consequences, the less your vote should count. For every 10 years you've been on this planet (and others), your vote should be weighted less 20%.

30-40 80%
40-50 60%
50-60 40%
50-60 20%
60-70 10%
80+ You've had your time and in 7 years time when the shite really hits the fan you'll statistically be tied to a television.

Just a thought, eh.

Given that most sane societies believe in the wisdom of the elders shouldn't it be weighted towards the old?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Interesting point. Passing on inheritance certainly does perpetuate inequality. However in a system of unlimited migration where labour and capital will move to a strong economy like the UK then passing on inheritance is the only way to ensure your own kids don't lose out in this capitalist nirvana. I am certainly preparing to ditch my progressive views come Friday and the inevitable Remain vote. I am not prepared to let my kids suffer low wages/ high rents while the multinationals rake in the profits. Unfortunately that is a rigged system and will make left wing politics irrelevant.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
At least my vote actually counts this time..... whatever way i decide !

So don't dilute it !

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If we only listened to the educated the poorer less-educated class would suffer. You can't deny a lot of low skilled jobs are currently worked by economic migrants, te same jobs the less educated are competing for. I'm voting remain but you must see how your suggestion is silly on more than one level?

I think you'll find that the educated care more about the poor than you suggest.

Or at least the educated of a certain political shade.....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I love these type of threads...

Think you lose % weighing too if you have a BMI >30

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think you'll find that the educated care more about the poor than you suggest.

Or at least the educated of a certain political shade.....

Ah,a Lib-Dem!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here