Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the club have accepted 6.5 million for Dunk?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Dunk is a funny one. He does seem to make silly mistakes. Things like that pen were blatant (to me at least) and you've got to be more sensible in those types of situations. We've just gone 1-0 up. It should be in every players mind not to do anything silly for 5-10 minutes. Stay calm, absorb a bit of the inevitable pressure then carry on. But the first corner, despite the pushing and pulling, what was he thinking?

But that being said, he was excellent for most of the game. We're joint top in the Championship. It's almost December and he's a regular on the teamsheet... A teamsheet chosen by somebody who knows what it takes to get out of this division. That's good enough for me.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Do behave. He could just as easily have had a free kick but The Ref was fooled. Local lad & the fact that Fulham wanted to pay that amount should tell you all you need to know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
No. It was (for the most part) considered a signal of intent by the club when his staying was confirmed as the majority see (saw?) him as one of our brightest prospects and a decent player.

Admittedly, he's not perfect, but I don't think a few clumsy moments are enough to suddenly want him to have gone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask IMO. It is a LOT of money. Dunk is great most of the time and would certainly walk in to most other sides, However, he makes one howling error every single game and that costs us goals (i.e. against MK he got turned really easily for their goal and should have given a penalty away as well). The question has to be do we want someone who can spend 89 minutes marking someone like Grey out of a game but the other one minute making a goal-costing mistake or do we want someone more consistent in terms of not making errors but not quite as good at shutting out dangerous attackers (which is where I think Hünemeier is).

At the start of the season when we had Greer and Hünemeier we were under pressure from aerial and diagonal balls much more than when Dunk starts and, while 6.5 mill would give you a lot of buying options it would also reduce the strength of a squad that's starting to look quite thin.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask IMO. It is a LOT of money. Dunk is great most of the time and would certainly walk in to most other sides, However, he makes one howling error every single game and that costs us goals (i.e. against MK he got turned really easily for their goal and should have given a penalty away as well). The question has to be do we want someone who can spend 89 minutes marking someone like Grey out of a game but the other one minute making a goal-costing mistake or do we want someone more consistent in terms of not making errors but not quite as good at shutting out dangerous attackers (which is where I think Hünemeier is).

At the start of the season when we had Greer and Hünemeier we were under pressure from aerial and diagonal balls much more than when Dunk starts and, while 6.5 mill would give you a lot of buying options it would also reduce the strength of a squad that's starting to look quite thin.

Good post. I reckon the management think enough of Dunk to see that as he develops the errors will get fewer, hence the retention - if he could cut out the more or less once-a-game blooper he'd be truly fantastic. At championship level though we're in pretty good shape with any two from our top three at CB (as this season's record shows), and that's without Goldson who must be itching for a game. After several games out Greer was excellent yesterday and he's first choice out of the three for me but unlikely to be in a year or two, leaving us with the other three long term hopefully.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Dunk is a natural footballer , wether he is a dedicated CB or not remains as a question......he will need to learn to keep his hand to himself though , his mauling of keane and gray yesterday was borderline an could have easily been booked before he finally did.....not a dig , just an observation...!

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
As a fan I want us to keep our best players and buy better.

If I was playing football manager I think this is a valid question.

We are joint top of the league why do you think selling him at the end of the transfer window before the best start we have ever had is not a stupid thing to say.

Because then we could have invested the money in him and him and him. You are playing football manager on the pc.

Last edited:

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
My slight issue with Dunk is that he seems committed not to just defend, but to absolutely dominate his opponent. I think he could be a bit calmer at times. When I saw him pulling the shirt off their player's back, I immediately thought 'penalty'. The ref is always going to notice a shirt pull and, more often than not, will give a pen.

In answer to the question, we were right not to sell him. He's a good player at the right club, and, perhaps more crucially, it was important for the club to send a message that a) we don't just sell our best players and b) that the success of the club on the pitch is as important as off it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I wonder where this £6.5 m comes from, the most I read was £5m which was turned down.

The Argus reported on August 20 that Albion had rejected Fulham's third offer of £5m.

The following day, on the Argus website, they reported that Albion had rejected a fourth bid for Dunk, but that the latest bid "which was in excess of £5million, still falls well short of the Seagulls' valuation". The exact size of the bid was not reported.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Argus reported on August 20 that Albion had rejected Fulham's third offer of £5m.

The following day, on the Argus website, they reported that Albion had rejected a fourth bid for Dunk, but that the latest bid "which was in excess of £5million, still falls well short of the Seagulls' valuation". The exact size of the bid was not reported.

Unlikely to have increased their bid by £1.5m mor like.5 I would have thought.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Yep I think we should of. We have shown with players like Uwe we can get better for less. Dunk costs us a lot of points when he plays. Too many mistakes and always drifts out of position.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hmm, not sure it's as straightforward as yes/no for me. Start of the season, when Uwe came in, I thought we could do without Dunk, I was that impressed – plus I thought he was going to leave anyway. But then the strength in depth would have gone, not to mention a major factor in a pretty miserly defence over recent seasons.

Defenders, like goalkeepers, are often going to have their mistakes highlighted as they often lead to goals, which are somehow worse than missed opportunities by the strikers for some reason. I think Dunk has improved over the past few seasons and although I still think there is a chance he'll be sold (despite the new contract) in January, I wouldn't be disappointed if he was still here, playing games and, most importantly, keeping clean sheets.

Thinking a bit longer term, which I think the club is getting better at, if we were to be promoted, and Dunk continues to learn and improve, there is a chance (albeit a small one) he could win England call-ups and therefore command a much higher fee than £6.5m. As there continues to be more and more money sloshing around in the Premier League, a few good performances for us there next season and someone would probably come in with a £15m bid or something silly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here