Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the Cheif Whipp be arrested for swearing at the police.

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
At last years Irish Brigand party conference Boris (Bullingdon) Johnson called for anyone who swore at the Police should be arrested. Following Andew Mitchells outburst i doubt Boris will be making the same demands this year. One set of rules for the Bullingdon, another for the "plebs".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If everyone who swore at the police got arrested, there wouldn't be anywhere to put them all...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
These days if you swear at a policeman, many will claim you are causing them "alarm, harassment or distress".

It is an abuse of the public order act, and is a total perversion of the law.

Nobody should be arrested for saying anything in my opinion.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
These days if you swear at a policeman, many will claim you are causing them "alarm, harassment or distress".

No they won't. Look up DPP V Orum. Unless you go completely OTT you won't get them claiming anything.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

What if that person said to you in all (apparent) seriousness "I'm going to come round your house, violate your wife, tie up your kids and slowly torture you to death, before chopping you up into small pieces and feeding you to the pigs"?

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Have mixed feelings about this,first thought is that he is an arrogant toff talking down to people who he feels are beneath him and the other view is he probably normally leaves by the gate but on this occasion the copper decided to be awkward(we have all met them in life certainly at football matches)and made him dismount and go through the pedestrian exit,does not excuse his language though.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What if that person said to you in all (apparent) seriousness "I'm going to come round your house, violate your wife, tie up your kids and slowly torture you to death, before chopping you up into small pieces and feeding you to the pigs"?

I take it you consider that an arrestable offense? It probably is.

My view, which I know others don't share, is that it is very bad to criminalize any kind of speech. You have picked an extreme example, remember that hard cases make bad law.

What you are describing is a threat, and so I think that should definitely be taken more seriously than for example swearing or saying something controversial (which people do get arrested for).

I do wonder what ever happened to Sticks and Stones? I think that someone should be punished for what they have actually done, rather than what you think they might do, because that is pre-crime.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I take it you consider that an arrestable offense? It probably is.

My view, which I know others don't share, is that it is very bad to criminalize any kind of speech. You have picked an extreme example, remember that hard cases make bad law.

What you are describing is a threat, and so I think that should definitely be taken more seriously than for example swearing or saying something controversial (which people do get arrested for).

I do wonder what ever happened to Sticks and Stones? I think that someone should be punished for what they have actually done, rather than what you think they might do, because that is pre-crime.

I wolud suggest that particular comment would constitute an offence of making threats to kill, but you could argue, and indeed have done, that it's only words :shrug:

You generally have the luxury of being able to sit back and look at the facts of a matter with the benefit of hindsight, whereas the police as a rule don't, they end up having to make decisions on the spot based on their own individual perception and perspective at the time. There is very little black and white, rather a lot of (fifty?) shades of grey, and at least two sides to every argument.

I'm not saying we always get it right, far from it, but I will say that 99% of the time, those decisions are made honestly and with the best of intentions. You just don't hear about all the right calls that go on every minute of every day. The media are only interested when it goes wrong or someone feels that they've been unjustly arrested.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For what it's worth, I think the bloke's been an arrogant arse, but it hardly warrants arresting him over. If it had, he'd have been nicked at the time.

Probably serves the nation far better by letting them all know what a tool the man is :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here