Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should piss-taking opposing supporters be banned from the Big Board

Should piss-taking opposing fans be kicked off the Big Board?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Reading the thread title I immediately thought "no, we dont need to hide from these people". BUT when I actually read the proposal I realised this made a lot more sense.

I wouldn't want to lose the casual banter with away supporters, and I think it's good that we have so many registered away fans we can play with. I don't post on any other team's message boards, so my internet interaction with rival fans comes entirely through NSC and whilst it stings a bit when they can laud it up over us, it becomes payback time once we pick up the results we want and can dish it back. I like having this opportunity to give and take. It's the very nature of football.

What I don't like, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, are the very dull threads started by persistent pisstakers with titles such as "Hahaha we're looking DOWN on you" or "that put you in your place" etc.

After THAT game I didn't come on here for a week, so ashamed was I at the result and the performance, because I couldn't bear the thought of all the Palace fans spamming the board with their abuse.

We do actually have some reasoned and sensible Palace supporting members on this forum, many of whom speak more sense than a lot of our own so called fans, so I've no problem with them or fans of other rival teams. We need them here to keep the place fresh, and to stand beside us in matters that transcend traditional on pitch rivalries (REMF and Fans United for example). I'll even allow them their gloating in the wake of our capitulation to their team, because I'd be exactly the same were the boot on the other foot.

However, wind up merchants posting total shit for the sake of antagonising Albion supporters don't need to be on the main board. As far as I'm concerned that sort of thing can go in Childish Ramblings.

Just like at our lovely stadium, we should be proud that NSC is welcoming to fans of other teams, and is in many cases more attractive than their own alternatives (just as Falmer is far nicer for away fans than, say, Fratton Park). We do actually have one of THE best fan message boards on the web, if you ask me. Not every club has quite as central and organised a forum as this one, and without wanting to sound a suck up, we're lucky it's run fairly well too. We would do well to remember that a forum of this size is not actually a right or a given, but an expensive, time consuming project that is maintained by others for our use and enjoyment. It is testament to NSC's success that I know I'm not alone in fearing a world without it.

When rival fans come on here giving it large, antagonising those that read their posts it can get messy. There are those of us that can ignore it, but there are also the elements of our support who react aggressively and I'm just as displeased seeing a fellow Albion fan write some foul mouthed cliche-laden diatribe in response to some amoeba who's posted "Hahahah Brighton are gay", as I am disinterested in the original post.

Banter and rivalry keeps the place interesting. All out abuse, name calling and tit for tat who's bigger than who just gets very stale very quickly.

So it is as much for our own fans as for other fans that I think it makes sense to consign dull, unthought out threads looking for a reaction to a sub forum.

Let the children have their play area. The adults can actually partake in reasoned debate with their fellow supporters, regardless of their colours (blue and red, red and white etc.)

Because the truth is that I have MORE in common with a sensible Crystal Palace fan, than I do with a neanderthal Albion fan.

Top, top post....!

If our moderators could react much quicker to habitual piss-takers, this forum has a chance of going back to being one of the best in the football community.

Decent away supporters are very welcome, but could the moderators remember that this is a Brighton and Hove Albion Forum.....not a "piss-takers from any Tom, Dick or Harry football club forum". If the moderators want to be so lenient to all others, would they be better applying to be a Mod on 606 for example....?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Let the children have their play area. The adults can actually partake in reasoned debate with their fellow supporters, regardless of their colours (blue and red, red and white etc.)

Because the truth is that I have MORE in common with a sensible Crystal Palace fan, than I do with a neanderthal Albion fan.

So you DON'T want an 'Away End', you want a 'CHILDISH RAMBLINGS'... which is what we already have (or had until it was rename The Other Stuff)... or did I misunderstand?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So is that forum unmoderated? kept away from GoogleAds etc?? or does some poor sod have to wade through the unadulterated shite that would end up in there and try and keep some sense of control?

No idea-not my job. Thankfully.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Leave as it is. I think the mods do a good job in this evolving world of the message boards. It was annoying after the Palace match - but how often does it happen ?

It is up to us to report postings if you feel the need to do so.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A little bit of an aside: Mods, either keep the 'Moderating decisions' forum up-to-date or scrap it. No one cares about spammers, (whose bannings are always listed), but when a 'regular' gets banned there's nothing mentioned. I wondered why southern_sid had been quiet and someone said he's banned, but there's no mention of it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A little bit of an aside: Mods, either keep the 'Moderating decisions' forum up-to-date or scrap it. No one cares about spammers, (whose bannings are always listed), but when a 'regular' gets banned there's nothing mentioned. I wondered why southern_sid had been quiet and someone said he's banned, but there's no mention of it.

I'm all for scrapping it... and letting the rumours and smears fly!

(actually, no... I think it would better kept up to date... make examples of transgressors... pour encourager les autres!)

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Top, top post....!

If our moderators could react much quicker to habitual piss-takers, this forum has a chance of going back to being one of the best in the football community.

Decent away supporters are very welcome, but could the moderators remember that this is a Brighton and Hove Albion Forum.....not a "piss-takers from any Tom, Dick or Harry football club forum". If the moderators want to be so lenient to all others, would they be better applying to be a Mod on 606 for example....?

WE react as quickly as is possible, that is a fact.

We treat all situations exactly the same as best as possible, there is no set criteria for any supporters.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wondered why southern_sid had been quiet and someone said he's banned, but there's no mention of it.

Perhaps he wasn't banned by a mod....:shootself

Protocol is that the mod who deals with it posts the reason for the ban, sometimes people forget, sometimes it is felt that the matter is better dealt with by saying nothing. I can't speak for others.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005

I will have to disagree with you there, having just checked the "Moderating Decisions" section it does show many people above and beyond spammers.

And as for Southern sid, he joined on August 5th 2011 at 16.24pm, I would hardly call that as a regular, "newbie / JCL maybe or annoying" might be a better description.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite correct that Moderating Decisions should be up to date. Again, it's something I introduced that doesn't exist on (m)any other boards in order to bring some transparency around these things.

A slight complication exists now though in that minor misdemeanors can lead to an infraction being issued against the user responsible. Each infraction carries a number of points based on severity. It is similar to getting points for speeding in that when a user reaches a certain number of points an automatic ban is imposed. As such, the moderator may not have actually banned a user, but the issuing of an infraction has tipped the user into an automatic ban.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I will have to disagree with you there, having just checked the "Moderating Decisions" section it does show many people above and beyond spammers.

And as for Southern sid, he joined on August 5th 2011 at 16.24pm, I would hardly call that as a regular, "newbie / JCL maybe or annoying" might be a better description.
Whatever, he certainly wasn't a spammer who come and go before the rest of us are even aware, in his short time here he'd made an impact as I'm sure you'd agree!

And yes, some other than spammers are mentioned, which makes the 'patchy' nature all the more annoying. I agree with Titanic that giving the reason adds flesh to the bare bones of the NSC rules which, rightly, are quite general.

And if he wasn't banned by a Mod - how DID he get banned? By the automatic totting up of infractions? Or isn't he in fact banned and has just decided to drop it?

PS - Could you show the infractions by the user a bit like the rep *spit* blobs used to be? We'd know then if the mods were aware that Person X had been a dick, but not enough of a dick to get banned.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Whatever, he certainly wasn't a spammer who come and go before the rest of us are even aware, in his short time here he'd made an impact as I'm sure you'd agree!

And yes, some other than spammers are mentioned, which makes the 'patchy' nature all the more annoying. I agree with Titanic that giving the reason adds flesh to the bare bones of the NSC rules which, rightly, are quite general.

And if he wasn't banned by a Mod - how DID he get banned? By the automatic totting up of infractions? Or isn't he in fact banned and has just decided to drop it?

PS - Could you show the infractions by the user a bit like the rep *spit* blobs used to be? We'd know then if the mods were aware that Person X had been a dick, but not enough of a dick to get banned.

I can confidently say that everyone I have banned, for no matter how long, I have put it up on the correct section (Moderating Decisions) If ever I have missed the odd person it would only have been a genuine mistake, I can't and won't speak for other Mods.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Top, top post....!

No I f***ing wouldn't. Frankly after driving 500 miles to the Falmex and back, I sometimes have better things on my mind than tidying up NSC in case some curtain twitchers get offended because we haven't won yet again and they can't cope with someone taking the piss.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
No I f***ing wouldn't. Frankly after driving 500 miles to the Falmex and back, I sometimes have better things on my mind than tidying up NSC in case some curtain twitchers get offended because we haven't won yet again and they can't cope with someone taking the piss.

Doubt you would get the job anyway :laugh: ...........can't you moderate whilst driving back up north then? shirley you have NSC via Tappytalk on yer mobile, I think that if you pulled up at lets say every other service station, you could have a look at NSC, quick bit of moderating and away to go....simples :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can confidently say that everyone I have banned, for no matter how long, I have put it up on the correct section (Moderating Decisions) If ever I have missed the odd person it would only have been a genuine mistake, I can't and won't speak for other Mods.
Fair enough, gold star - and have a word with the other slackers who are letting the side down!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have no interest in looking at other team's boards and some of the palace, Leeds, saints regualrs on here comepletely baffle me. They must have something more important to do
But if they can be bothered to sign up to come on here its up to them. I couldn't give a toss and certainly don't get upset if they have a pop. I don't read them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here