Should piss-taking opposing supporters be banned from the Big Board

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should piss-taking opposing fans be kicked off the Big Board?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
As odious as some of the oppo's crowing toe-rags are (wot pop up without fail & give it large): I'd be tempted to ban some of the so-called Albion contributors before them tbh. Maybe you (Bozza) could introduce a 'Dickheads' section to cover all eventualities? It might make the Big Board a bit quiet, mind...

:whistle:

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
Allowing other fans to come on this board and post their c@*p is what sets up apart from other sites. It shows that we can take the p*sstaking and they can't.

If you want to have a go back you can - if you don't like what you read, there are plenty of other threads.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
please-do-not-feed-the-hoboken-trolls.jpg

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
not bothered by away fans so much. Fishing really pisses me off though, see the Complete Badger. Pointless.

Fur Cough

I originally voted yes, but am having a re-think.

Banter is fine, I enjoy it, but some of the threads recently have been going way above that. Just ban the pricks and leave the decent ones.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I originally voted yes, but am having a re-think.

Banter is fine, I enjoy it, but some of the threads recently have been going way above that. Just ban the pricks and leave the decent ones.

Fair enough, but should be ban our own pricks too?

I would reiterate that we have had only 11 posts reported in a week out of a grand total of 20,000+. We can't (and also can't be arsed) check every one, and rely on people to use the 'report a post' facility.

Some (and I'm in no way pointing the finger at you here) seem to want to both have their cake and eat it. They want 'decent' (although defining such is difficult) opposing posters to be allowed here but somehow think we have a divining rod (and I'm not talking Lord Bracknell's penis) for spotting the offensive ones as they think it is our 'job' rather than theirs to identify such posts.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Fair enough, but should be ban our own pricks too?

I would reiterate that we have had only 11 posts reported in a week out of a grand total of 20,000+. We can't (and also can't be arsed) check every one, and rely on people to use the 'report a post' facility.

Some (and I'm in no way pointing the finger at you here) seem to want to both have their cake and eat it. They want 'decent' (although defining such is difficult) opposing posters to be allowed here but somehow think we have a divining rod (and I'm not talking Lord Bracknell's penis) for spotting the offensive ones as they think it is our 'job' rather than theirs to identify such posts.

Can I just explain to those that may not be aware what happens when a person clicks on the report button, an e mail is sent each Moderator, that means it is sent to their personal e mail address, it is also put into a section within Mod Towers where we can all see it as well, the reported post says who has reported it, exactly which post is being reported, the person reporting the post has the chance to explain why he / she is reporting it, basically it gives us all the information for us to act on very quickly, it certainly saves us doing a massive amount of research, I do get people PMing me and saying can I check such and such a thread / post out as they are not happy what it is saying or whatever, that is fine, but it does mean that I have to do a lot of research to suss out what it's all about, where as if the issue is reported, not only does it give pretty much all the information, it gives EVERY mod a chance to deal with it, not just one of us.

The "REPORT" button on each and EVERY post is YOUR chance to do something about it, that said if it is abused and treated as a bit of fun the person doing that will also be dealt with (please note: any idiot that thinks it will be funny to report every post going!!!)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope, water off a duck's back and as it's usually on the back of a defeat it's makes a change from reading how shit we are from our own fans.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest I've changed my view on this since voting - I'm not sure an away fans forum is best. I know the BBS have one, as do others, but their boards are wank compared to this one.

In fact, my personal preference would be for posts by piss-taking away fans to be confined to single threads on the same subject. i.e. just one thread called 3-1 FFS Murray or whatever, where all the Nigels can cream themselves over it together. And of course, Albion fans fed up with it will know not to open the thread.

The main problem with this is that mods would need to be very hot on merging any new threads, and I'm not sure the mods themselves have time to deal with this. Perhaps threads could be somehow "tagged" as of "away fan interest", so that away fans know which ones they can contribute to if they want to take the piss?

NSC has long been far more liberal in the acceptance of opposing fans.

If you're big enough to give it out, you need to be big enough to take it.

Many opposing fans who make it to NSC offer well considered input to many of the discussions here. There are some, however, who do not and just seek to take the piss again and again and again.

Should this latter group be kicked off NSC's Big Board and only allowed to post in a new 'Away End'. The Away End would be accessible to all regular members meaning each NSCer could decide whether to ignore the sub-forum completely, have a read every now and again or engage with the away fans who post there.

What happens now

Opposing fan joins NSC - free to post anywhere
Opposing fan pisstakes a bit - free to post anywhere
Opposing fans pisstakes a lot - gets a warning
Opposing fan goes too far - banned

Proposal

Opposing fan pisstakes a bit - gets a warning
Opposing fans pisstakes a lot - moved to 'away end'
Opposing fan goes too far - banned

This poll will be open for a week. Votes from opposing fans will be discounted.

Most of the comments on here seem to only deal with the simplistic option of leave alone or ban. It seems to me the graduated proposal from Bozza covers all elements. Dare I even say, as a recent contributor, it is only formalising the arrangement which should be in place in any case. I think people need to look at the detail above and see that - at least it would be a transparent process that everyone could understand rather than relying on individual mods opinions about whether action is needed or not. On that basis I shall vote yes.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I really don't get the 'away end' bit... who is going to read anything posted in there? and how are we supposed to draw the line between what is allowed on the Big Board and what gets put into the away cesspit?

I would go for...

Opposing fans pisstakes a lot - banned

BHA fan joins NSC - free to post anywhere
BHA fan pisstakes a bit - free to post anywhere
BHA fans pisstakes a lot - gets a warning
BHA fan goes too far - banned

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I really don't get the 'away end' bit... who is going to read anything posted in there? and how are we supposed to draw the line between what is allowed on the Big Board and what gets put into the away cesspit?

I would go for...

Opposing fans pisstakes a lot - banned

BHA fan joins NSC - free to post anywhere
BHA fan pisstakes a bit - free to post anywhere
BHA fans pisstakes a lot - gets a warning
BHA fan goes too far - banned

I think that might be the objective: away fans posting non-stop shite get dumped to the NSC equivalent of the naughty step where they'll be quite lonely and their drivel doesn't infect the rest of the board. There should also be a similar fate awaiting Albion fans guilty of the same 'offences'.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think that might be the objective: away fans posting non-stop shite get dumped to the NSC equivalent of the naughty step where they'll be quite lonely and their drivel doesn't infect the rest of the board. There should also be a similar fate awaiting Albion fans guilty of the same 'offences'.

So is that forum unmoderated? kept away from GoogleAds etc?? or does some poor sod have to wade through the unadulterated shite that would end up in there and try and keep some sense of control?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I voted no. This is a forum where people interact on a vast number of topics and is therefore made richer by having a wide appeal. Any rules should apply to everyone, not just away fans. The current system probably works it's just that some people can't stop themselves reading threads that are fishing and then worse still, they then get wound up and post themselves. The new proposals are nothing more than censorship which is unwarranted. Bit like tv, if you don't like it then turn it over to another channel. If you're not mature enough to do that then perhaps you don't have the right mental age to be allowed to use a computer in the first place!!!! Keep the temporary bans for inappropriate behaviour but let's not pretend that anyone is going to read an 'away end' sub forum!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Reading the thread title I immediately thought "no, we dont need to hide from these people". BUT when I actually read the proposal I realised this made a lot more sense.

I wouldn't want to lose the casual banter with away supporters, and I think it's good that we have so many registered away fans we can play with. I don't post on any other team's message boards, so my internet interaction with rival fans comes entirely through NSC and whilst it stings a bit when they can laud it up over us, it becomes payback time once we pick up the results we want and can dish it back. I like having this opportunity to give and take. It's the very nature of football.

What I don't like, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, are the very dull threads started by persistent pisstakers with titles such as "Hahaha we're looking DOWN on you" or "that put you in your place" etc.

After THAT game I didn't come on here for a week, so ashamed was I at the result and the performance, because I couldn't bear the thought of all the Palace fans spamming the board with their abuse.

We do actually have some reasoned and sensible Palace supporting members on this forum, many of whom speak more sense than a lot of our own so called fans, so I've no problem with them or fans of other rival teams. We need them here to keep the place fresh, and to stand beside us in matters that transcend traditional on pitch rivalries (REMF and Fans United for example). I'll even allow them their gloating in the wake of our capitulation to their team, because I'd be exactly the same were the boot on the other foot.

However, wind up merchants posting total shit for the sake of antagonising Albion supporters don't need to be on the main board. As far as I'm concerned that sort of thing can go in Childish Ramblings.

Just like at our lovely stadium, we should be proud that NSC is welcoming to fans of other teams, and is in many cases more attractive than their own alternatives (just as Falmer is far nicer for away fans than, say, Fratton Park). We do actually have one of THE best fan message boards on the web, if you ask me. Not every club has quite as central and organised a forum as this one, and without wanting to sound a suck up, we're lucky it's run fairly well too. We would do well to remember that a forum of this size is not actually a right or a given, but an expensive, time consuming project that is maintained by others for our use and enjoyment. It is testament to NSC's success that I know I'm not alone in fearing a world without it.

When rival fans come on here giving it large, antagonising those that read their posts it can get messy. There are those of us that can ignore it, but there are also the elements of our support who react aggressively and I'm just as displeased seeing a fellow Albion fan write some foul mouthed cliche-laden diatribe in response to some amoeba who's posted "Hahahah Brighton are gay", as I am disinterested in the original post.

Banter and rivalry keeps the place interesting. All out abuse, name calling and tit for tat who's bigger than who just gets very stale very quickly.

So it is as much for our own fans as for other fans that I think it makes sense to consign dull, unthought out threads looking for a reaction to a sub forum.

Let the children have their play area. The adults can actually partake in reasoned debate with their fellow supporters, regardless of their colours (blue and red, red and white etc.)

Because the truth is that I have MORE in common with a sensible Crystal Palace fan, than I do with a neanderthal Albion fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports