Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should MK Dons have been awarded a penalty?

Should MK Dons have been awarded a penalty?

• Yes - should have been a penalty

Votes: 76 83.5%
  • No - Dunk got the ball first

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Getting the ball first, to put it out for a corner, when the player is not in control of the ball, is. That's how the linesman must have seen it when the ref consulted him.

That is my view now in that Dunk won the tackle and the player went over as a consequence of the follow through from the tackle. There was no hesitation from the ref in awarding the corner but asking the lino so if anybody was wrong it was the lino more so than the ref, but I dont think that he was.

Yoda

English & European
The worst decision at the Amex since "Hoops" awarded his chums at Bournemouth a penalty for Inigo Calderon having the nerve to put the ball out for a corner.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
It should have been a penalty when you look at the replays, but the player going away from goal, ball not under control. I can see why the ref didn't give it. Had the away team been in the top 4, then he would have given it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The whole team were partially to blame for that incident. It was after Baldock was injured in the 51st minute. Play resumes on 53:00. Hunemeier has a chance to put it out at 53:30, then gives it away, so Dunk has to clear. Next time we get the ball Dunk has it under control and passes to Kayal, who loses it on the half way line, trying to beat his man. Then Rosenior gets the ball completely under control, and passes it straight to the other team. Then finally nearly two minutes after Baldock came off we get the penalty incident. At least four Albion players have had the opportunity to put the ball out of play, none appear to have even thought about it. Very poor game management, from some very experienced players.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It drives me MAD when a situation like this happens and someone says "his toe JUST brushed the ball".

In my mind that is STILL a pen. anywhere else on the pitch, if you went for the ball, BARELY touched it but WIPED OUT someone, that's a foul.

The media don't help but showing a tackle in super slow mo and having a pundit saying "look" (as they zoom in), he JUST touches the ball". SO WHAT!? the ball barely moved. Wiping out someone whilst making the ball move 2 inches is not a legal tackle.

Sorry. It's monday. I'm ranting.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Of course.

But as the referee didn't award a penalty and neither did he book the attacker for simulation, surely the only conclusion that can be drawn is he believed Dunk played both the ball and the man fairly.

That's a bit over simplified.

In order to stop the play and award... anything, the ref has to be sure one thing or the other occurred.

He evidently wasn't sure Dunk fouled the player. He also wasn't sure (or maybe didn't even think it) whether the player dived. That's what's supposed to happen, but when you saw the 'foul' Elvis committed by almost having his shorts pulled down by a bloke behind him, you wonder what the blazes the ref was thinking that afternoon.

Nailed on, stonewall, dead cert, all day long pen, BTW, presumably not awarded because it was the abominable club stealers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here