Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Can the mods simply change the poll to "Are you a racist?"
This would make things much clearer.

Shut up Plooks you bore.
Some people on this thread have already explained their reasons for voting no, but you probably haven’t bothered to read them as you only like the sound of your own waffle.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I love Hamilton
I think he deserves a knighthood
He is the most successful F1 driver the sport has known

However anyone who doesn't agree with me should not automatically be labelled a racist. Of course their are racial issues with this subject but to label someone racist because they dislike Lewis or think he is not worthy of the award because he is in the most dominant team is wrong. That surely does not mean their opinions are racially motivated.

A sensible post above.

Can the mods simply change the poll to "Are you a racist?"
This would make things much clearer.

A stupid post by you.

All simply excuses to cover the uncomfortable truth. But then so is calling it boring and waffle.

Wrong

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
He would get one for contributions to his sport. How in anyway can being the first black driver and the driver with the most wins etc be not enough to fall into that category? Regardless of if you hate him or think he is a **** or whatever, his sporting achievements simply CAN NOT be disputed. On his sporting achievements alone he warrants getting one.

It’s obviously not up to the posters on NSC if he gets a Knighthood, someone has asked a question people have commented.
I am not disputing any of Hamilton’s achievements, i just wouldn’t shout racist at everyone that has voted no or explained their reasons.

D

Deleted member 2719

Well said crodo.

It's interesting that the Hamilton haters have mainly fallen away in the face of being given lots of facts and stuff.

Proudly still holding up the "I'm a racist moron who knows nothing about sport" card of course, is Mouldy.

Quell surprise.

I could get myself in trouble here, but I won't. You can not just go around calling people racist, of course, unless you are going to come up with proper FACT.

You crossed the line of insults with that one.:wanker:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well it is hard to see any other reason when he has CLEARLY achieved enough to warrant it.

1- Because you probably haven’t read the whole thread.
2- You have already made up your mind that posters that have voted no are all racists.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have, its the same old scrapping the barrel excuses that have nothing to do with the category he would be nominated in like "he lives abroad" etc. Face it if Hamilton was white people would be SCREAMING for him to be knighted, SCREAMING. But instead a not insignificant portion of the country (and this board) are coming up with reasons to diminish his achievements. When his sporting achievements are that great and he is clearly set apart from others in his sport like he is I am sorry, it does make you look racist when you try and belittle him.

How about those that disagree with the knighthood system?
Some people have also said sports people usually get a knighthood after they have retired from competing/playing.

Yep call them racists. :dunce:

D

Deleted member 2719

1- Because you probably haven’t read the whole thread.
2- You have already made up your mind that posters that have voted no are all racists.

There are a few on here who have truly lost their heads on this one.

I mentioned I didn't rate or like Moss, but NOBODY takes in those things.

Crazy times.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There are a few on here who have truly lost their heads on this one.

I mentioned I didn't rate or like Moss, but NOBODY takes in those things.

Crazy times.

I’ve just re read some of the thread and seen a post from someone I know personally that doesn’t agree with the knighthood system, I think it’s unfair this person is being labelled a racist by silly bollox Plooks.

D

Deleted member 2719

I’ve just re read some of the thread and seen a post from someone I know personally that doesn’t agree with the knighthood system, I think it’s unfair this person is being labelled a racist by silly bollox Plooks.

Unfortunately he isn't the only one who has lost the plot on this one.

It appears they see the colour of the skin and not the debate of what has been said.

Knighthoods for me are for normal people, who have gone above and beyond away from the limelight and really changed society. Sportsman and women are way down the list IMO.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
As I’ve read it there are broadly four issues consistently made on here against an award for Hamilton

1. Mercs is a winning machine, its nothing exceptional to win in one => lacks understanding of the brutality and commerciality of F1, of why the driver is in the car in the first place and also why Mercs would pay someone the most in the market when this assumes many others could do. So many industry experts disagree. Little merit

2. Not until he starts paying tax => he does but there is evidence he does manage his money in a (legally) tax efficient way, as do so many other high earners across many parts of our society (at a more prosaic level I have an ISA). If this view is held consistently against all people who manage their money tax efficiently, fair enough, otherwise little merit

3. the whole awards system is a nonsense, irrespective of this example => fair enough

4. Hamilton is a knob, he’s not as loved as other sportspeople etc => hmz, its not a personality test, and many on the screen put on a tv persona

5. He brings politics into sport => so do so many other sportsmen, including the Albion. Fair enough, but again needs to be applied across all not a few

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately he isn't the only one who has lost the plot on this one.

It appears they see the colour of the skin and not the debate of what has been said.

Knighthoods for me are for normal people, who have gone above and beyond away from the limelight and really changed society. Sportsman and women are way down the list IMO.

Would you be ok with stripping Sir Ian Botham of his then?

D

Deleted member 2719

Would you be ok with stripping Sir Ian Botham of his then?

Not sure about stripping anyone.
I would not have given him one in the first place, unless it was for all his charity work.
Moss is the same and a long line of others.
OBE or CBE maybe, but not knighthoods to sportsmen.

Of course you won't believe me, because of my pro-Brexit and anti-left-wing stance you assume I am far right.

Wrong.

Would you strip Beefy???

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
1) they should at least understand given the current system he should be. Which is the question. Not, do you agree with the knighthood system.
2) Bullshit. Off the top of my head: Andy Murray, Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins and Ben Ainsley.

1- The question is Should Lewis Hamilton be Knighted?
Posters have given their reasons as I said, it’s as simple as that.

2- You obviously didn’t read the word ‘usually’

I have given you some reasons why people that have voted no should not all be labelled as racists, but you continue to argue.

D

Deleted member 2719

Well the knighthoods are not given based on YOUR definition. You can get one for "services to your sport" and being outstanding in it. Hamilton has done that, so he should get one. It really is THAT simple.
If people disagree with what they are given for they should answer "yes. But I would like to see them stopped or redefined."

Why are you so desperate for a man that is worth hundreds of million to be knighted?

His achievements will be in the record archives.

We throw knighthoods about like confetti nowadays. Give them to people who are unknown who have excelled.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Also you can tell the retirement thing is a bullshit excuse as well as the question does not say NOW. It does not give a timeline at all.

You really are overthinking a question on a forum for football fans. :lolol:

Maybe the thread title should be changed to-

Do you think Lewis Hamilton should be knighted either now or in the future? Make sure you only vote yes or Plooks won’t be happy and call you a racist.
:mad:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Forget the racism stuff - this question is far more fundamental than that. For me, no racing driver of any stripe - or colour - should be honoured as a 'sportsman'. For me, 'sport' requires that the 'sportsperson' is propelled solely by their own human muscle power. Sitting in a big fat car, turning a steering wheel and pressing pedals, all the while being propelled at 200 mph by an 800 horsepower turbocharged motor engine does not quite cut it. That kind of achievement is more appropriately marked by the awarding of a speeding ticket.

It's very clever, and Mr Hamilton is clearly quite good at it. But it's not sport. So, it's a no gong from me.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Forget the racism stuff - this question is far more fundamental than that. For me, no racing driver of any stripe - or colour - should be honoured as a 'sportsman'. For me, 'sport' requires that the 'sportsperson' is propelled solely by their own human muscle power. Sitting in a big fat car, turning a steering wheel and pressing pedals, all the while being propelled at 200 mph by an 800 horsepower turbocharged motor engine does not quite cut it. That kind of achievement is more appropriately marked by the awarding of a speeding ticket.

It's very clever, and Mr Hamilton is clearly quite good at it. But it's not sport. So, it's a no gong from me.

Sure, thats reasonable, although it passes the definition and what about olympic sports such as bobsleigh, cycling, equestrian etc.

But this isn't about Whether Hamilton is a sportsman, its whether he should be knighted, which is not limited to sportsmen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure about stripping anyone.
I would not have given him one in the first place, unless it was for all his charity work.

Well documented on this thread that Hamilton has done lots of charity work. Does his qualify?

Would you strip Beefy???

Arf arf.

(No is the real answer. I disagree with him on Brexit, agree with him on red wine, admire his charity walks and he's the reason I played cricket for 20 years and have some very good friends from cricket some of who are on this board. Beefy's got more in my positives than negatives.

But I'd knight Hamilton, GOAT in his sport, charity worker as above and someone who is prepared to stand up for equality when he's the only black guy in a sport full of rich, white brats).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here