Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should it have been a penalty?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, should we have had a penalty just before half time. VAR decided that it was offside but is that their call to make? According to the EPL website VAR gets involved on the following:- VAR will be used only for “clear and obvious errors” or “serious missed incidents” in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

The linesman didn't flag for offside so surely the only aspect of the review should have been whether it was a foul or not!

Discuss.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Clear offside, poor from the lino not to give it in the first place

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know they checked for offside and that was given (and I'm not gong to disagree that he was offside) and that was the reason for the penalty being overturned (I haven't seen a replay yet so don't know whether it was a dive). My question is whether it is within their remit to check if a player is offside in those circumstances? According to the remit from the EPL website surely they can only look to see if it was a foul or not, not if there was an infringement in the build up.

At the end of the day it didn't matter but consistency in referring could be important. We saw how Mwepu was deemed to have been offside when Mac Alister hit his thunderbolt against Leicester even though Mwepu made no contact with the ball yet today, Man Utd scored a goal when Rashford was clearly offside and involved with the attack although he didn't touch the ball.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
I sit level with where the offide was. And no it wasn’t a penalty. We all knew it was going to be overturned. But who cares….

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I know they checked for offside and that was given (and I'm not gong to disagree that he was offside) and that was the reason for the penalty being overturned (I haven't seen a replay yet so don't know whether it was a dive). My question is whether it is within their remit to check if a player is offside in those circumstances? According to the remit from the EPL website surely they can only look to see if it was a foul or not, not if there was an infringement in the build up.

At the end of the day it didn't matter but consistency in referring could be important. We saw how Mwepu was deemed to have been offside when Mac Alister hit his thunderbolt against Leicester even though Mwepu made no contact with the ball yet today, Man Utd scored a goal when Rashford was clearly offside and involved with the attack although he didn't touch the ball.
Of course it’s in their remit to check for an offside. That’s a clear and obvious error if it’s not given*

*linos are also instructed to not flag for tight calls to let phases of play commence. In this instance the lino could have also flagged for offside after the pen was given. But that’s largely irrelevant as VAR will still check the offside.

So, should we have had a penalty just before half time. VAR decided that it was offside but is that their call to make? According to the EPL website VAR gets involved on the following:- VAR will be used only for “clear and obvious errors” or “serious missed incidents” in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

The linesman didn't flag for offside so surely the only aspect of the review should have been whether it was a foul or not!

Discuss.
VAR correct. Offside, no pen either if onside. If no VAR, most refs give that.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I thought straight away at the game Solly was offside so no pen. Now having seen it on MotD it probably wasn’t a pen anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Three key aspects to a penalty:

was there an infringement
was it in the box
was the ball in play

If VAR are used to check a penalty should be given, they have to check all three. Meaning they have to check if play should have been stopped in the pasage of play building up to the offence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here