Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should it have been a penalty for handball?

Should it have been a penalty for handball?

• Yes it was

Votes: 122 53.0%
  • No it wasn't

Votes: 108 47.0%

• Total voters

albionite

May 20, 2009
You only have to look at that pic to see his left shoulder was lower and his arm sticking out. Penalty all day in my book he stopped the ball going into the centre of the box.

mattp

Feb 1, 2013
Either both that one and Dunk's should have been handball or neither. The ref gave the one against Dunk to this one should have been given as well. The problem is that refs get scared when it involves a penalty.

Good point. Outside of the area and a free kick would almost certainly have been given.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
You only have to look at that pic to see his left shoulder was lower and his arm sticking out. Penalty all day in my book he stopped the ball going into the centre of the box.

This. Penalty all day for me. Sorry to say it again but the standard of refereeing is abysmal.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Does anyone remember it hitting brunos arm in our box from a walcott cross/shot?

They were either both a pen or neither. So ref was consistent

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Does anyone remember it hitting brunos arm in our box from a walcott cross/shot?

They were either both a pen or neither. So ref was consistent

Just seen it on MOTD. Brunos was more of a pen than the other one, but think the ref got both right.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing

Rubbish. Theo waited until Bruno was slightly off balance and then purposefully and unfairly kicked the ball at his hands. Bad sportsmanship - Walcott should have sent off.

Whereas, when our cross came in, Corlunga had placed a deftly, world class cross on to the head up up to five Brigton players - all of whom would have scored - were it not for the COWARDLY act of the BASKETBALL PLAYER that is, Chambers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Calde tripped over the ball.
Bruno the contact was shoulder & upper arm, possibly
Chambers, yes, his arm is well away from his body. You see our defenders put their hands behind their backs when they're trying to block.

Yoda

English & European
For what they've just said on MOTD, I still think Chambers was more handball than Bruno's.

Bruno it hit him more upper arm/almost shoulder combined with his momentum going back made it look like he was moving his arm to the ball.

Chambers was stood there with his arm out at almost 45 degrees, making it harder for the ball to be played in. Referees are instructed nowadays to class this as handball as the arm is in an unnatural position. Why do you think you see Calde in the same situation with his arms behind his back?

My only defence for the ref I can think of is that from the angle he was looking at it, he wouldn't have been able to see how far out Chambers' arm was.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Not for me. Chambers could do little about it and the referee was very well placed. It's the kind of decision you see happen to other sides and you cry out for officials to show a bit of common sense and not award soft penalties, but of course when the Albion need a goal it's only natural to hope for the decision to go our way!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Not for me. Chambers could do little about it and the referee was very well placed. It's the kind of decision you see happen to other sides and you cry out for officials to show a bit of common sense and not award soft penalties, but of course when the Albion need a goal it's only natural to hope for the decision to go our way!
He could have not had his arm out stretched like a goalkeeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here