Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I move my BroadBand to BT Infinity?

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
Good people of NSC...

I'm considering migrating from my current 3-4 Mb BroadBand service onto BT Infinity (which has just been installed at my local exchange).

One of things, I do like about my current service provider, is that service "availability" has been (touch wood) exceptional in the 5 years I have had it and when I have had the occasional blip, the customer service and speed of resolution has also been very good.

Apart from the obvious improvement in bandwidth, is there anything else I need to think about or concern myself with? Is reliability good? Are the routers they provide any good (BT Home Hub?). Anyone had any concerns of customer service?

D

Deleted member 18477

Had mine installed a year ago. It's been brilliant with no problems at all! Get it!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who is your current provider? Lots of people can do the same product as Infinity, without having to deal with BT Retail.

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
Current provider is Nildram (now TalkTalk). Have spoken to them about their fibre service but it is considerably more expensive than BT Infinity.

So any views on the competitors Fibre offerings v BT Infinity?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Current provider is Nildram (now TalkTalk). Have spoken to them about their fibre service but it is considerably more expensive than BT Infinity.

So any views on the competitors Fibre offerings v BT Infinity?

Most ISPs can do it - search for 'FTTC Internet Providers' or similar.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
One of the major things to consider/look out for is that you make sure the Infinity package you get is unlimited bandwidth. There is no point in having the higher download speed if you are limited to 10gb a month data. It's amazing how quickly you will use all that data up when streaming movies/iplayer type stuff.

There appear to be 4 packages on Infinity
upto 16Mb download speed and 10gb bandwidth for £13 a month plus line rental
upto 16Mb download speed and 40gb bandwidth for £18 a month plus line rental
upto 38Mb download speed and 40gb bandwidth for £18 a month plus line rental
upto 16Mb download speed and unlimited bandwidth for £26 a month plus line rental

There is also Infinity 2 which is faster but might not be ready on your exchange yet.
upto 72Mb download speed and unlimited bandwidth for £26 a month plus line rental
upto 136Mb download speed and unlimited bandwidth for £35 a month plus line rental.

Most of these packages come with various telephone call offers too.

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
The package I am considering is £26 a month with Unlimited Bandwidth. The speeds they are "quoting" are 60 Mb down 20 Mb Up...

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
The speeds are genuinely that fast, we get 65meg down and 10meg up here in Hailsham, it makes so much of a difference when watching YouTube videos and streaming

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It has been hasn't it? The online check certainly seems to think so.

I install infinity and bexhill is working.

It wasn't when I checked with the BT web site late last week, must have just come on then, or the website isn't working correctly

Edit: just checked and the website only offers total broadband, says infinity is unavailable, but I can register an interest. I live about a mile from the exchange :shrug:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It wasn't when I checked with the BT web site late last week, must have just come on then, or the website isn't working correctly

Edit: just checked and the website only offers total broadband, says infinity is unavailable, but I can register an interest. I live about a mile from the exchange :shrug:

Strange, are you checking with a telephone number or post code? I'm checking by post code (we've currently got a sky phone line so i cant check via number) and it tells me I can get upto 33.9mb download 6mb upload with Infinity now. We are about 1.5 miles from the exchange.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My suggestion would be to go elsewhere. I have BT Business broadband for my work and a few weeks ago on a Friday it went down. After repeated promises and timeframes I was eventually so frustrated with the lack of resolution I emailed the CEO. Only after his office intervene did things start to move on the following Wednesday. Shocking service and I felt very very let down. This is business broadband, my livelihood, and a supposed "by 6pm next day" resolution guarantee we're talking about here. Stay well away is my view.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I would only consider moving to BT if they drop the adverts. Haloween party adverts in December FFS!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Only if the dolly in the Devil outfit on the Halloween BT ad comes round to show you how it's done :smile:

'Well ACTUALLY love, we're students too, and we can afford it...'

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The speeds are genuinely that fast, we get 65meg down and 10meg up here in Hailsham, it makes so much of a difference when watching YouTube videos and streaming

Is that down soley to the ISP or just your position near the exchange? I thought ISPs have to use the same cables etc so effectively swapping would be like swapping gas/electricity providers, ie. no point bar the price?

doug7126

Apr 13, 2008
Aldershot

The website must be out of date.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I install infinity and bexhill is working.

I don't install Infinity, but my understanding is that it has to be enabled at the green box on your street (AND the exchange, obviously). In the area I live I seem to live on the only street which is not enabled which I've deduced using all the local postcodes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here