Should I eat it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I eat the rancid, festering pie or chuck it where it belongs?

• Eat it

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Bin it

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Ok. So the Mrs has been doing a bit of a tidy-up in the kitchen as all good women do from time to time. During her lady-duties she has come across a Fray Bentos Chicken Curry Pie gathering dust in the depths of a cupboard with a use by date of February 2006 :eek:

Now I know most of you probably wouldn't even give it a second thought and it would go straight in the bin....

However, due to a combination of:

a) not liking to see food wasted
b) being a bit partial to a curry pie
c) being a lazy bastard as I've got to cook my own dinner tomorrow
d) being a bit tight

I'm seriously considering cooking it for my dinner tomorrow night. It's tinned so I reckon it's good for at least a couple of years past its date.

So what's it to be good people of NSC? Eat it or bin it? What would you do?

And what should I have with it :drool:?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think you need to judge it on it's merits. So open it and take a sniff. If it seems OK, then go for it...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would say that if the tin looks ok, there are no signs of leakage or rust, then you should be alright.

Eat it!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
if the tin is intact it should be fine

*dont sue im not an expert tho

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Yeah they always give you a bit of leeway on those dates - 18 months, pah - tuck in.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I remember some bloke on telly a while back eating some corned beef tinned during the War...he didnt die, so you are probably OK.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Eat it!

I used to read a blog about two men in Antarctica or somewhere and they were eating tinned food that was 15 years out of date pretty much all the time.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
So why do you think they put expirey dates on food?:dunce:

Nowadays there is a demand for less and less additives and preservatives, so food does not last as long in storage.

If you could smell out food poisoning then that would ensure the closure of many testing laboratories.

If you eat it, make sure you leave a note as to what it was you eat, so you can get the appropriate treatment.

Good luck:thud:

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
It's got curry in it. If it's rancid you won't taste it anyway. I say live on the edge and go for it. Init.
Not live on the edge of the toilet hopefully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports