Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should Gross start against Man Utd?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No. We need pace to counter them. Much as I love him, playing Pascal would be like trying to compete in Cowes week using an oil tanker.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I've got no idea.

I don't know his current physical and mental fitness or that of the other players who might take his place - but I guess that can be ignored and the question approached with an "all other things equal" caveat.

But I've still got no idea if Gross should play against Man Utd tomorrow.

What I think I know about Pascal Gross is that he is a technically excellent footballer with a well earned reputation for making telling contributions to help his teams win top flight football matches. He also seems to provide a good balance between "attack" and "defence" that I quite like and could be appropriate for playing Man Utd at home.

But, we have lots of other good players and lots of options with our formation and tactical approach.

I really, really like our manager and will support whatever decision he makes.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Defensively we have always been solid but in the games since the restart what has really struck me is how much better Potters system looks with some pace in the side so I would stick with the youngsters at the moment and keep Groß on the bench as an option if we need to tighten up.

That said with Potter we all know any lineup predictions are futile!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think I’ll let Mr Potter decide. :shrug:

If he plays him, it will be because he thinks he is the best person to help us get something from the game. At present I don’t think any of the attacking players apart from Maupay can be confident of starting.

Question is whether Connolly starts as a front 2 again or not? Pretty sure Gross doesn’t feature in that scenario. 1 up top though, and Gross may be perfect for stopping Fernandes dropping deep to get the ball, plus moving the ball either side for us.

Looking forward to seeing who GP does line up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Defensively we have always been solid but in the games since the restart what has really struck me is how much better Potters system looks with some pace in the side so I would stick with the youngsters at the moment and keep Groß on the bench as an option if we need to tighten up.

That said with Potter we all know any lineup predictions are futile!

Yes and no.

The team was crying out for pace.
But it and all sides still need a locksmith to open things up.

As said early doors in this thread, I have no idea if Groß should start until I know the 10 other players.

Groß shouldn't be playing with all the other tortoises.
Groß must play as the lone tortoise.

Then his selection ought to be juggled for all points in between.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Think I’ll let Mr Potter decide. :shrug:

If he plays him, it will be because he thinks he is the best person to help us get something from the game. At present I don’t think any of the attacking players apart from Maupay can be confident of starting.

Question is whether Connolly starts as a front 2 again or not? Pretty sure Gross doesn’t feature in that scenario. 1 up top though, and Gross may be perfect for stopping Fernandes dropping deep to get the ball, plus moving the ball either side for us.

Looking forward to seeing who GP does line up.

Agree. I think it's likely (with all the usually GP caveats) that it's Gross or Connolly.

If it's a front 3, I think Gross main competitor for the right hand slot place is Ali J. And Pascal is ahead. (on the left it's tighter with Alexis, Solly and Trossard going for that slot)

If it's a 4-2-2-2, I think he's behind Mooy, in the advanced midfield positions and I can't see them starting together.

In any case in the times where there are 5 subs, he's bound to be on the pitch a fair bit before the end of the season. It's now less important whether he starts. If he comes on after 55 mins, he's still getting decent time on the pitch

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Man Utd are lethal on the break.

For that reason, I’d like to maybe see us concede possession to them and see how well that can break us down. We’ll need pace and directness on the break so hopefully the likes of Maupay, Troß, Connolly, Lamptey & Bernardo will get the gig tomorrow.

My 11 would be:

—————————Ryan————————-
—-Duffy—————Dunk————-Burn—-
Lamptey—Bissouma—-Pröpper—Bernardo
—————————Troß————————-
————Maupay————-Connolly———-

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I like Bernardo but gets beaten on the outside far too often. I’m assuming Burn in just because he can head it is a bit tongue in cheek because there is clearly a lot more to his game, and hardly gives any credit to Potter as a progressive tactical manager if he only picks a left back because he’s good in the air.

You see, I genuinely don’t recall him getting beaten that often.

Whereas Burn has an unfortunate habit of getting beaten by a ball on his inside......

However, hoping Burn will score soon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You see, I genuinely don’t recall him getting beaten that often.

Whereas Burn has an unfortunate habit of getting beaten by a ball on his inside......

However, hoping Burn will score soon....

I’ve done West Ham away for consecutive seasons and Antonio has torn him to shreds both times. Bernardo’s not appeared since West Ham away I think? And to be honest, given how reliable Burn is I’m not surprised.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Start with him, maybe go for the Mac on 60 mins

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve done West Ham away for consecutive seasons and Antonio has torn him to shreds both times. Bernardo’s not appeared since West Ham away I think? And to be honest, given how reliable Burn is I’m not surprised.

Arsenal got behind BDB a fair few times, particularly in the first half, the difference being they were proper poor once they'd done the hard work.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he will start since he is able to play 60+ minutes, which is obviously not the case with Mooy, Macallister and Trossard who all looked pretty dead after 45 in the games last week.

I think this eleven will start: Ryan - Schelotto, Dunk, Webster, Burn - Gross, Bissouma, Pröpper, Mooy - Connolly, Maupay

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think he will start since he is able to play 60+ minutes, which is obviously not the case with Mooy, Macallister and Trossard who all looked pretty dead after 45 in the games last week.

I think this eleven will start: Ryan - Schelotto, Dunk, Webster, Burn - Gross, Bissouma, Pröpper, Mooy - Connolly, Maupay

I do wonder sometimes if you are a spoof account.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Wasn’t Antonio more up against Montoya?

Good to have a football discussion again [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wasn’t Antonio more up against Montoya?

Good to have a football discussion again [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]

Last season Antonio only came on as sub and was out and out on the right wing. This season he was in more of a central role but I thought he did the damage coming in from their right, so was Bernardo’s man much of the time. Potter may have his own reasons for preferring Burn, but that was Bernardos chance to cement a place. I think I’m right in saying we’ve conceded 3 twice this year against opposition around or below us and both times Bernardo has started? Not down to him, but perhaps Potter feels it does unsettle the defence.

Such a relief to be discussing left backs! :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here