Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Should football clubs travel so far for pre-season?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At a very rough estimate if the team were to go by canal boat on inland waterways it would take around 36 hours. It's a tricky route because the Brighton area and the Liverpool area are on different canal networks that don't join anywhere, meaning some complex navigation either by sea at some point, or carrying the boat across land to find an appropriate river to join which might be great for team building but less good for being in peak physical condition to face Salah. Canoeing may be possible with fewer logistical challenges, though I'd probably allow 4 or 5 days for that, and it also might not be the optimal preparation for a premier league game.

I remember reading once though that Tesco (I think) uses canals still to transport some goods between depots in Liverpool and Manchester because it's so much quicker than road.

Isn't the speed limit on canals 4mph?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
This. There’s absolutely no justification for flying around a country where you can reach almost any major population centre from another by train in an afternoon.

If the trains were still Nationally run we could lower prices and - guess what we could afford to use the train as a daily transport, normally half the trains are too full and the other empty .Top Gear proved years ago that it was cheaper to buy a car and drive from London to Edinburgh than go by train , that`s bloody ridiculous . If prices are a constant ,and of course reliability ,then it would (in modern times) become the best way to travel.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I feel that in the grand scheme of things, this is a very, very small issue.

The problem is that everyone thinks everything they do is a very small issue, e.g. jetting-off for a long weekend, running 2 cars, having the central heating on for longer than necessary, etc. but they all add-up to a BIG issue...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I did chortle into my cornflakes the other day when Klopp was saying that the Community Shield ("of course I love it" he said) should be moved because it was putting undue pressure on his team before the season even started.

This being the manager of a team who played Manchester United and Palace in Thailand, RB Lepzig and Red Bull Salzburg (in Germany) and Man City and Strasborg in the UK before the Community Shield.

FFS stop treating us like morons you greedy, patronising b@stards.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
My route planner has it (from Brentford) to Liverpool as being 288 miles, and will take 143 hours. This will take just over 20 days, if boating for an average of 7 hours per day. This includes working 184 locks. :lolol:

Just spotted this. I used to know someone who lived on a boat called Brok at Calveley on the Shroppie. It's not you is it?

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Next up, away fans banned to reduce carbon footprint.

and at Old Trafford any home fans travelling further than away fans banned too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I feel that in the grand scheme of things, this is a very, very small issue.

Also get rid of the NSC part of the fanbase to decrease methane emissions.

,,,,and ban take-away pizza deliveries - in fact ban pizzas. All that grease puffed up into the atmosphere. No boxes either - just have Just Eat drape them over the handle bars, they'll be fine ...........................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At a very rough estimate if the team were to go by canal boat on inland waterways it would take around 36 hours. It's a tricky route because the Brighton area and the Liverpool area are on different canal networks that don't join anywhere, meaning some complex navigation either by sea at some point, or carrying the boat across land to find an appropriate river to join which might be great for team building but less good for being in peak physical condition to face Salah. Canoeing may be possible with fewer logistical challenges, though I'd probably allow 4 or 5 days for that, and it also might not be the optimal preparation for a premier league game.

I remember reading once though that Tesco (I think) uses canals still to transport some goods between depots in Liverpool and Manchester because it's so much quicker than road.
Brighton is on a canal network?

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Just spotted this. I used to know someone who lived on a boat called Brok at Calveley on the Shroppie. It's not you is it?

I think the boat at Calveley is called Brock
Brok was a boat on the Caldon in Stoke belonging to a friend. Named after a beer, apparently.

Did you used to have a fuel boat?

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Oh dear USA next preseason LOL

200w (2).gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here