Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should Ex Players/Managers be running VAR?

Should Ex Players/Managers be in running VAR

• Yes

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Rugby do it very well, TMO is only consulted at the ref's discretion. Often he is simply checking a decision that he has already made.

The best change would be to have referees with a microphone and give a post match interview. Making the right decision is important and taking responsibility when they have made a mistake should be expected. Much more likely to consult the VAR for any questionable decision rather than the current set up of waiting to see if the VAR intervenes.
I think if they do the first part properly, there is no need for a referee's post match interview.

I'm not aware of the post match referee interview in egg chasing because you have already heard the full communication between ref, TMO and assistant refs and the ref's explanation to both captains. Rugby clearly has no issues or problems with its key decision making process. It has nothing to hide. Football's refusal to let us hear the decision making process makes me believe that football probably does.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Genuinely surprised that it's half and half in the poll right now, it must be a wind up or knee-jerk reaction to the game because no sane person would think that's a good idea :lolol:

"Let's get farmers to act as judges in land disputes"
Top umpires in cricket have played the game at a high level.

There are currently three Englishmen on the ICC Elite panel:

Illingworth - 9 Tests - 25ODIs - 376FC
Kettleborough - 5 years first class cricket for Yorks and Middlesex
Gough - England U19 captain and 67FC matches

Also on the list:

Aleem Dar (recently retired) - FC cricketer in Pakistan for 10 years
Paul Reiffel - 35 Tests and 92 ODIs for Australia
Chris Gaffaney - 83 FC matches in New Zealand
Rodney Tucker - 103 FC matches in Australia
Kumar Dharmasena - 31 Tests + 141 ODIs for Sri Lanka
Marais Erasmus - 53 FC matches in SA

So possibly not so insane to have players who have played at a high level officiating then?

Reactions: A1X

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Also on the list:

So possibly not so insane to have players who have played at a high level officiating then?
Controversial maybe but I suggest professional cricketers and rugby union players are generally brighter and more articulate than most English footballers :shrug:

Reactions: A1X

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Running it ? No
Involved ? Possibly, but only after they’ve got their refs badges and are qualified (seen enough from ’expert pundits’ who don’t seem sure of the rules when commenting on games) - which means the very vast majority wouldn’t be either interested or capable.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

Also on the list:

Yeah but I assume they got through all the regular courses, qualifications etc you have to go through to become an umpire, didn't they? If a former player or manager wants to go through the regular process of becoming a ref or match official he's obviously free to do so, like any other person. What they're proposing is different though.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
No - the VAR should be run by people with no football knowledge whatsoever. The VAR should not be making subjective decisions, so all it needs is someone (or something) with a complete knowledge of the rule book and the ability to apply them on a scientific basis.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No - the VAR should be run by people with no football knowledge whatsoever. The VAR should not be making subjective decisions, so all it needs is someone (or something) with a complete knowledge of the rule book and the ability to apply them on a scientific basis.
This could work with a solid black and white rule book, with clear boundaries defined as to what VAR is looking for.

Since its inception, the interpretation changes week to week, month to month - there is no set in stone policy as to;

1) When a referee is asked to view the monitor
2) What constitutes a “clear and obvious” error

Presently, the VAR acts as a second referee using a screen using their own interpretation- under huge time pressures to keep the game going.

A colleague - often friend I would fairly assume - of the guy on-field who made the decision already, no less.

Your idea could work fine, but VAR’s remit and rulebook would have to be completely rewritten and I don’t think they’re capable/willing to do that

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This could work with a solid black and white rule book, with clear boundaries defined as to what VAR is looking for.

Since its inception, the interpretation changes week to week, month to month - there is no set in stone policy as to;

1) When a referee is asked to view the monitor
2) What constitutes a “clear and obvious” error

Presently, the VAR acts as a second referee using a screen using their own interpretation- under huge time pressures to keep the game going.

A colleague - often friend I would fairly assume - of the guy on-field who made the decision already, no less.

Your idea could work fine, but VAR’s remit and rulebook would have to be completely rewritten and I don’t think they’re capable/willing to do that
Agreed - I kind of put that out there for arguments sake.

You don't need to have to been an experienced criminal in order to become a judge, you just need to know the law.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here