Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should Eid be a bank holiday in the UK?

Should-Eid-be-a-bank-holiday-in-the-UK?

• Yes

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 180 81.1%

• Total voters

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A friend of mine works for an engineering consultancy in New York owned by Jews and gets all of the Jewish holidays as well as the US public holidays. They know he is an atheist but are quite happy for him to take off these days. He says religion is hardly ever mentioned at work. Seems like a good case of live and let live

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have nothing against the celebration of Eid or for that matter any other peaceful comunial celebration, I am not keen on any that are forced upon the population so for that reason I am in the no camp, but to clarify I also think that Christmas and Easter should not be bank Hoildays instead I favour a weeks worth of bank holidays in the summer

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Kick ALL religion out of schools, government and bank holidays. Then it’s fair like France.

More than happy to rename bank holiday days like Christmas that were re-branded by the christians in order to remove the religious bit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-december-archaeologists-claim-83910.html?amp

Agree with this.

Let’s go back to calling Christmas the mid-winter feast and ensure all bank holidays are secular. I’m sorry if that pisses off the Easter Bunny.

The last thing we need to do is keep letting religion denote our holidays. Faith should be a private matter and not forced on us all.

Ps I will defend anyone’s right to practise a faith, just don’t expect me to join in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks inc Bank Holidays so everybody would lose a day's annual leave to gain an extra bank holiday unless you expecting the economy to lose millions by everybody getting another day off

Need to work more hours for less money or we will all die poor and starving. Source: McDonalds research team.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think the OP is getting the reactions that were hoped for here.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Indonesia public holidays:

Eid: 2 days officially. Unofficially can be a week. All the others officially one day.
Prophet Muhammad's birthday
The Ascension of the Prophet Muhammad
Islamic Sacrifice Day
Islamic New Year
Hindu New Year
Christmas Day
Ascension Day
Lunar New Year 1 January
Chinese New Year
Labour Day 1 May
Life, Death and Enlightenment of Buddha day
Pancasila (Indonesian ideology) Day
Independence Day

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You're posting on a privately owned forum, where the owner bares the full burden of any legal action brought. The thread you (and every other member) have been denied access to was centred on a current legal case. The decision was taken by the moderating team to protect NSC, the owner and all of us who enjoy this site and the hundreds of other topics that don't have the potential to cause issues.

Of course, if you are willing to cover any legal costs arising we could possibly open it up again so you can post on it.

I understand your point but if you have the power to decide what to allow and what not to allow then you should have the courtesy to explain why.
A new thread would have done it if you are not able to post on the thread whilst preventing any other users to do so.

The message I got was seemingly addressed to me only:
maltaseagull, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

PS. It's bears in this context not bares

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Plenty of people put Jedi as a religion, does that mean we get May 4th off work too?
It's just as much bollocks as every other religion.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Why not let everyone take a day off? Half of Europe closes down for the whole of August and the economy doesn't collapse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These days, if you say you're English, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a software developer and worked as a contractor for many years. Over that time I've worked with dozens, probably over a hundred Muslims ranging from quite devout to purely cultural. When discussing things like food, family, holidays etc, none of them, not a single one, ever said anything like "It's not fair, you Christians get bank holidays, we should have some too."

Again with regard to Christmas none of them ever said they were offended by it. Some said it wasn't their thing and (like Jehovah's Witnessess) they didn't do anything, some said they were pleased to see the birth of an Islamic prophet being celebrated, but most said they celebrated it in some way even if it was just an excuse to get the family together, give out presents and have a good time. Also a lot said they'd reacted with varying degrees of surprise when they found out it was originally a religious festival!

So no, no more Bank Holidays purely on religious grounds - and don't rename Christmas either. And if you do want it renamed then at least admit you want that simply to be contentious and not for any reason of cultural inclusiveness. That's actually one bit of multi-cultural Britain that works quite well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I understand your point but if you have the power to decide what to allow and what not to allow then you should have the courtesy to explain why.
A new thread would have done it if you are not able to post on the thread whilst preventing any other users to do so.

The message I got was seemingly addressed to me only:
maltaseagull, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

PS. It's bears in this context not bares

The thread you're talking about put several posters at risk of contempt of court (essentially risking the conviction of those charged) or being reported to people higher than the NSC mods for Islamophobic hate speech.

People are very lucky the thread was binned, rather than that plus a load of bans.

Please think about that instead of playing the victim all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here