Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Shoreham Traffic

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So how does stating that the net migration figure is equivalent to a city the size of Birmingham make him right wing and that he’s stating that Shoreham is being filled with migrants?
I'm sure you can work it out. Check out some of his other posts.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm wondering what the consensus of opinion might have been, had the council put the infrastructure in place before the flats were built?

a) a round of applause for their forward planning, or
b) 'what a total waste of money'.
Option C I’d have fallen off my chair!

If we use the example of doctors surgery and infrastructure includes so many other things I’d warrant no one would suggest a waste of money

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was in Shoreham today, around the time of high water, at 14:20, a tide of 6.31m. It was the highest tide I've ever seen at Shoreham, with sea level no more than 40cm below the seating area by the footbridge. A fire engine was parked there, just in case. Looking at the tide times over the past week, several were even higher.

I'm not sure that's why the firepoeople were there. They seemed to be going door-to-door along the bottom of East Street and High Street when I saw them – nothing to do with the tides (although I agree I thought it looked bloody high when I looked out.

There's a bit of an OTT reaction here. The work on the USR by Tesco Express is nothing to do with the number of houses or the overall development of SBS – it's planned upgrades that have been working their way along the road and around the town for months. Granted the stuff along Brighton Road is more specific, but that's no different to similar work that would happen anywhere else under development.

It's worth pointing out that residents, tradespeople and shop-owners have been crying out for more people/customers in SBS for years. Now, all of a sudden, they are getting their wish, it's all doom and gloom!

As for the traffic, I drove down to High Street this morning, (which wasn't that busy – certainly not the 'permanent gridlock' that some muppet claimed a while ago on a NIMBY FB group), parked straight outside where I needed to go and got there and back from North Shoreham with no fuss or hassle at all. I take the shortcut when I need to go East and realise that if I'm in the car and get stuck in the coast road shenanigans, then I'm part of the problem!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The problem is a national one. London is eating the South East and people are making large amounts of money from it.

Move Parliament to Preston (or somewhere else oop north) and a few industries will follow. There is plenty of housing and sensible house building plots available in the UK, just not in the south east. Good Luck :rolleyes:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I agree with all your post except the last bit. Afaik all the development is on sites that had previously been used, most had been used industrially/commercially, surely those are the very definition of 'brownfield sites?' For example the block of flats my son lives in was built on the site of an old B and Q (and before that I think it had been a Post Office depot).

His block, btw, is pretty much the epitome of 'ideal development' (if there is such a thing). Not only is it brownfield it also contains affordable housing. His place is shared ownership, there is no way he could have afforded Sussex prices otherwise. There are quite a few young families in there, and it's developed into a little community.

With regard to the traffic I grew up in Lancing in the 60s, 70s and 80s (I'm out on parole now), so I know Shoreham well. I look at the A259 with horror - how did it get that busy? For my son though it's the 'new normal', it is what it is and he puts up with it and allows for it. And yes he does use the bus, the train and he cycles so he's not a lazy selfish motorist all the time.
The answer is... it's been 'that busy' for years! I've told this story on here before, I'm sure, but when I used to work in Halfords on weekday evenings, the A259 would have a constant stream of traffic from around 5pm until 7pm. And it still does now. Other times, it's far less busy – obviously because there are fewer cars around outside of rush hour.

This myth that somehow the town has become overrun by traffic is (largely) nonsense. Yes, it's busy at peak times but, outside of that, not so much. I walk, run and drive in and around all over the town for probably about two hours a day, almost every day. I see peaks and troughs in those times and it's REALLY not that bad. Essentially, people don't like change and will use the developments as a stick to beat every other aspect of the evolution of Shoreham-by-Sea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So many carbrains complaining about the overdeveloped of Shoreham (let's face it this could be anywhere along the coast).

Yet the first mention of bus lanes, cycle lanes, pedestrianisation gets howls of derision and ripped out in favour of a mode of transport that carries 1 person and is stationary for well over 90% of any 24 hour period.

theboybilly

You think Shoreham is being occupied by immigrants?

I have seen several of your posts tonight, and you are clearly a right wing tit. So you can f*** right off and go on ignore.

:shrug:
I quite agree. I live in Shoreham and have yet to see a marked change in the demography. Shoreham is still a lovely place but it needs to up its game as far as the High Street goes (more coffee shops anyone?) and infrastructure. It's an easy to get round town if the will was there to improve the bus services (for example the western end of USR is poorly served - why not a Shoreham Circular route that takes in Holmbush, USR, Ropetackle, the High Street and back up Kingston Lane (or even further east if there is the demand) But Shoreham is clogged with traffic and nowhere to park and the new apartment blocks will only make things worse. It could be so much better

theboybilly

The answer is... it's been 'that busy' for years! I've told this story on here before, I'm sure, but when I used to work in Halfords on weekday evenings, the A259 would have a constant stream of traffic from around 5pm until 7pm. And it still does now. Other times, it's far less busy – obviously because there are fewer cars around outside of rush hour.

This myth that somehow the town has become overrun by traffic is (largely) nonsense. Yes, it's busy at peak times but, outside of that, not so much. I walk, run and drive in and around all over the town for probably about two hours a day, almost every day. I see peaks and troughs in those times and it's REALLY not that bad. Essentially, people don't like change and will use the developments as a stick to beat every other aspect of the evolution of Shoreham-by-Sea.
You struggle to park in Shoreham and only have to look at West Street, Church Street... well anything west of Surrey Street and south of Western Road is chock full of parked cars, cars parked on pavements etc. We have to do better than this, it's choking the life out of the town. North of my outlined section of town house owners (with the collusion of the local council) have paved over almost every front garden to park 2, 3, 4 or more vehicles all the while taking away kerbside parking. For the benefit, as has been said, of a mode of transport that sits idle for 90% of the time. How did it ever come to this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I used to live in Rustington, a vibrant thriving (well it was until the banks left) village.

But if you actually look at what's normal around the shops, it's insane.

Free carpark to the north.
Free carpark to the east.
Shops surrounding a t junction.

There are shops.
6ft of pavement.
Access road.
Parking
narrow strip of pavement.
Grass verge.
Regular pavement.
Main road
Then the same across the other side.

An unbelievable amount of free space dedicated to cars and parked cars for a smallish village.

1708002705002.png

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
So many carbrains complaining about the overdeveloped of Shoreham (let's face it this could be anywhere along the coast).

Yet the first mention of bus lanes, cycle lanes, pedestrianisation gets howls of derision and ripped out in favour of a mode of transport that carries 1 person and is stationary for well over 90% of any 24 hour period.
Couldn't agree more, invest money in bike infrastructure along the coast and rail infrastructure. A perfectly able rail line that could carry even more people into Brighton if there is investment from central government to improve it. Flat bike lane as well along the seafront, could get even more people along. The possibilities are endless.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Far more people on this thread not talking about cars at all…still let’s not that get in the way of car driver bashing eh 🤦‍♂️

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Far more people on this thread not talking about cars at all…still let’s not that get in the way of car driver bashing eh 🤦‍♂️
FFS it's entitled Shoreham Traffic and unsurprisingly has plenty of conversation around traffic, the root causes and ongoing escalation.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
FFS it's entitled Shoreham Traffic and unsurprisingly has plenty of conversation around traffic, the root causes and ongoing escalation.
Bllx….and how can you be objective considering your crusade against anyone with a car..oh and Ffs yourself and the the thread is about Shoreham ..so it’s going to be mentioned ..grief

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bllx….and how can you be objective considering your crusade against anyone with a car..oh and Ffs yourself
The thread is about traffic and I own a car.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The thread is about traffic and I own a car.
I know you own a car….and your post intimated it concentrated on traffic and yet it’s more about the development and lack of infrastructure..despite it starting off about a person struggling to get east to west….which as far as I can see in this case isn’t linked currently to the developments

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Couldn't agree more, invest money in bike infrastructure along the coast and rail infrastructure. A perfectly able rail line that could carry even more people into Brighton if there is investment from central government to improve it. Flat bike lane as well along the seafront, could get even more people along. The possibilities are endless.
The trains are not perfect, but I think they are running better than they were 5ish years ago. They are frequent and not hugely expensive.

In terms of cycling, going west to Worthing is a great route. Going east to Brighton, not so much. At peak times that's only for confident cyclists.

I think the local buses are fine.

I'm going to guess that plenty of the people having a pop haven't even considered a form of transport other than cars. I reckon a shift in mindset is what is needed.

Last point, when these sites were industrial, there would have been fewer cars but more lorries and other heavy polluting traffic

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know you own a car….and your post intimated it concentrated on traffic and yet it’s more about the development and lack of infrastructure
The major part of that infrastructure discussion being the developments generating x more car in Shoreham with nowhere for them to go or be parked - what with this being a 'Shoreham traffic' thread.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

In my defence I am going back to the 70s/80s. In those days you could bowl along the A259 from Lancing and wouldn't really hit any traffic until you were almost in Brighton; four or five cars in front of you at traffic lights was considered 'busy'. From about 1990 until my son moved there in 2020 I had barely re-visited Shoreham, and when I did it was by train.

On a general point I am not anti-development. (Yes, I know they all say that, it's a bit like saying "I'm not racist but ...", but I'm really not!) After all it's because of the Shoreham developments that my son has his own place - and it's in Sussex where he wants to live, near all his friends and family, and he wasn't forced to move out of the area because he couldn't afford it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The major part of that infrastructure discussion being the developments generating x more car in Shoreham with nowhere for them to go or be parked - what with this being a 'Shoreham traffic' thread.
Actually i see that the major discussion has been about development and the lack of infrastructure …and has not concentrated around cars until now…despite as i said the thread starting about current traffic delays which as i have pointed out don’t relate to the over development

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here