Shoreham toll bridge.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Incredible to believe that double decker buses used to go across

and fall off!

he terrible storm of 1st January 1949 when a “miniature whirlwind“ left a trail of destruction from Worthing to Shoreham and caused a double-decker bus to be blown off the Old Shoreham Toll Bridge at approximately 6.30 p.m. The No. 9 Southdown Bus had left Worthing at 5.55 p.m. on it’s way to Brighton and as the vehicle approached the bridge the storm intensified with hailstones battering the bus and the wind reaching speeds of 80–90 mph. Just as the driver drove on to the narrow bridge, a gust of wind wrenched the steering wheel out of his hand and swept the bus off the bridge into the river Adur, 25ft below. The conductor managed to jump clear and run to the Red Lion to telephone emergency services. Ladders were laid down from the bridge to the bus, which was lying on its side half-submerged in mud, amazingly with lights still on and engine running. Luckily the tide was out. Nine passengers managed to climb up to the bridge, while the remaining eleven passengers had to be released by fireman. Three Worthing passengers and two Lancing residents were retained in hospital. Miraculously there were no deaths and only one serious injury of a lady, Miss Anna Vuls, who was a Latvian chambermaid and who had worked for the Spaniard Hotel in Worthing. More than 3 years later, she sued the Southdown Bus Company and was awarded special damages of £680 even though the bus company had claimed it was an “Act of God”. She appealed, and was later awarded £2680.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Or nothing if you worked at Ricardos..my Dad worked there for years ..and on his day off if we went that way we would have to hide in the back of the car to avoid paying :rolleyes:

We also used to get across free as my dad would wave his BR pass at the toll collector.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I too recall going across the bridge in a car with my Dad. Looking back (I'm 60) it must have been around 1965 ish. Was there a few years back, just passing through, and had to stop with my kids to show them the bridge and walk across 'for old times sake'.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
and fall off!

he terrible storm of 1st January 1949 when a “miniature whirlwind“ left a trail of destruction from Worthing to Shoreham and caused a double-decker bus to be blown off the Old Shoreham Toll Bridge at approximately 6.30 p.m. The No. 9 Southdown Bus had left Worthing at 5.55 p.m. on it’s way to Brighton and as the vehicle approached the bridge the storm intensified with hailstones battering the bus and the wind reaching speeds of 80–90 mph. Just as the driver drove on to the narrow bridge, a gust of wind wrenched the steering wheel out of his hand and swept the bus off the bridge into the river Adur, 25ft below. The conductor managed to jump clear and run to the Red Lion to telephone emergency services. Ladders were laid down from the bridge to the bus, which was lying on its side half-submerged in mud, amazingly with lights still on and engine running. Luckily the tide was out. Nine passengers managed to climb up to the bridge, while the remaining eleven passengers had to be released by fireman. Three Worthing passengers and two Lancing residents were retained in hospital. Miraculously there were no deaths and only one serious injury of a lady, Miss Anna Vuls, who was a Latvian chambermaid and who had worked for the Spaniard Hotel in Worthing. More than 3 years later, she sued the Southdown Bus Company and was awarded special damages of £680 even though the bus company had claimed it was an “Act of God”. She appealed, and was later awarded £2680.
I would have been seven and a half years old when this happened and remember the photos in the local press though I can't remember if it was the Sussex Daily News, Evening Argus or the Shoreham Herald.

The toll to cross the bridge was for a return journey if the motorist remembered to keep his ticket or was even given one by the toll collector. Towards the end of its life as part of the A27 the West Sussex County Council bought out the railway's ownership and abolished the toll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here