Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Shoreham cement works

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
The land is privately owned, so unless the council compulsory purchase, it's seems a bit of wasted excercise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Level it. Get rid of all the hard standing. Fence it off and leave it to nature. That would be the best thing anyone could do with the land. Give it back.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Why does it have to be 'developed'? Why can't they just leave it alone?

It is a unique landscape, with several internationally important habitats.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's privately owned. Planning authorities are obliged to identify sites whether privately owned or not that might be suitable for development of some kind. As an example it might be a residential scheme to replace the existing buildings on the site may make it viable to create a nature reserve on the rest of it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Filling it in and putting sheep on top is probably the best idea. Given the rate they're knocking down 60's/70's flats for new improved chipboard ones it won't take long.

The issue is, the council let Blue circle walk away Scott free leaving tonnes of asbestos there.

I'd like the office building on the river side please, I'll restore it Deco style to live in and convert the ground floor into a classic car/bike working museum ( lair below Obvs. )

http://www.abandoned-britain.com/PP/shoreham/1.htm

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Parking for a new P&R location for match days.

County cricket ground.

Ski centre

Its begging to be converted into an Eden Project type venue...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For all of these plans you'd have to upgrade the roads in and out from the site, as it's currently only a 2 lane B road. But I guess some of those projects would have the money to do that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's privately owned. Planning authorities are obliged to identify sites whether privately owned or not that might be suitable for development of some kind. As an example it might be a residential scheme to replace the existing buildings on the site may make it viable to create a nature reserve on the rest of it.

I’m pretty sure that was the original plan going back some ten years now.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Its begging to be converted into an Eden Project type venue...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Can you imagine the CO2 emissions from the queues of cars waiting to get in?

But seriously, why not do that? Would be cool.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
For all of these plans you'd have to upgrade the roads in and out from the site, as it's currently only a 2 lane B road. But I guess some of those projects would have the money to do that.

Reopen the railway line from Shoreham into the site. That would help regenerate parts of Shoreham too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Dual carriageway to the A27 would be easy enough, not much point heading North . . slip roads either side, there's already an underpass.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Eden project has a remote car park that you can either PnR into the project from or walk in.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Eden project has a remote car park that you can either PnR into the project from or walk in.

I've always thought PnR is crap. Just moving the problem somewehere else.

railway line would be good . . . . but we'd need a viable train service, and some of the line is gone. road improvements and dedicated cycle lanes alongside the bridle path would be best

The only positive I can currently think of is the National park should prevent the worst happening.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
An actual physical bear pit, taking NSC's most tedious conversations offline and into real hand-to-hand combat.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Move the i360 from the seafront to this site, but with a walk way onto the Downs at the apex, and alongside have a toboggan ride which snakes it way down, over the road to finish by the river, where a watersport centre has been developed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here