Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Airport

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When my parents owned the dog kennels on the Coast road south of the Airport, which is now the Dogs Trust place, we used to look after the Securicor dogs that guarded the airport. They'd be with us all day, then the handlers would come to pick them up at 6 every evening to guard Shoreham airport all night - they were some of the loviest dogs I've ever dealt with, they were generally big, big Alsations, but really, really lovely with it. Not security trained at all.

That was over 20 years ago though.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
There is very little security at New Zealand airports compared to the overly paranoid UK.

Would that be the little sleepy Country of New Zealand, where nothing remotely dangerous ever happens, compared to the UK, where the terrorist threat is ongoing, and multiple attempts have been made to blow up planes over the atlantic. Yeah, god only knows why the UK authorities are paranoid.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Would that be the little sleepy Country of New Zealand, where nothing remotely dangerous ever happens, compared to the UK, where the terrorist threat is ongoing, and multiple attempts have been made to blow up planes over the atlantic. Yeah, god only knows why the UK authorities are paranoid.
Possibly if past governments hadn't tried to piss off as many countries as possible then they wouldn't need so much security.

Oh, and America hates NZ. Purely because NZ refuses to play with nuclear weapons.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Possibly if past governments hadn't tried to piss off as many countries as possible then they wouldn't need so much security.

Oh, and America hates NZ. Purely because NZ refuses to play with nuclear weapons.

Well that's a completely different argument altogether. The fact is UK foreign policy over the past 10 years has meant we remain at threat from terrorism - so you cant say they are being paranoid.

Ill just ignore the US- New Zealand part of your post - it's stupidity doesnt warrant an answer

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I would rather they increased security at the top of Mill Hill to stop the 'travellers' using the car park there.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Its called playing a part in this world of ours, not just sticking my head in the southern hemisphere sand.... ok NZ spec forces have contributed to the war on terror, all 120 of them, but NZ has no history on the world stage. hence no threat to its security.... we take the position that most grown ups do, its called responsibility.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The problem with increased security everywhere else is maybe terrorists will look further afield for 'softer' targets knowing that even in remoter parts of the world the media will give it instant coverage.

NZ is a wonderfully relaxed country partly because it is so far from the rest of the world but didn't the French security service blow up the Greenpeace Warrior ship in NZ because it was threatening to blockade their nuclear tests in the Pacific?

I recall a kiwi farmer who sold several plots of his land for housing telling me that half of these had been bought by Americans who wanted somewhere safer to live after 9/11 and that many other landowners had profited from this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here