Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham air disaster

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Seven years to the day…still have memories of the plume of smoke rising in the distance, as I left the house to go to the Blackburn game ..thoughts with the relatives of those who lost their lives

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shocking day as we were on the train into Brighton for the game details started to appear on social media.

After the game when back in Shoreham the atmosphere was completely weird, you could sense something terrible had happened.

RIP

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Passed the memorial while out for a run this morning and paid my respects. Horrible day.

RIP to the 11.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I worked with a family member of one of the 11 we lost that day, another mate of mine worked closely on the recovery of the vehicles afterwards. Both have had their lives change dramatically.

Such an incredibly sad waste of lives

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Genuine question,why has it taken seven years to get here today, which is dreadful for the bereaved and is this closure finally? So tragic and sad loss of life.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
C

Could/should they have done the inquest before the criminal trial?
until coroner's inquest is concluded, technically there hasnt been a crime to go to trial.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
until coroner's inquest is concluded, technically there hasnt been a crime to go to trial.
But a trial has been held, and the person who (accidentally) killed 11 people has been found not guilty - so now even though a verdict of unlawful killing has been recorded by the coroner, he can't (AFAIK) be tried again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But a trial has been held, and the person who (accidentally) killed 11 people has been found not guilty - so now even though a verdict of unlawful killing has been recorded by the coroner, he can't (AFAIK) be tried again.
Not unless there is fresh evidence not already heard.
The level of proof of evidence is lower in a Coroner’s court, than a Criminal court.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not unless there is fresh evidence not already heard.
The level of proof of evidence is lower in a Coroner’s court, than a Criminal court.
True, but my post was more in reply to the post saying there was no crime to try before an inquest ruled that there was - clearly not the case. Yes, I'm pretty sure the reckless pilot can't be re-tried.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
True, but my post was more in reply to the post saying there was no crime to try before an inquest ruled that there was - clearly not the case.
I agree and my post was replying to him as well. The pilot was charged and acquitted (unfortunately).

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This "pilot" was showboating over a main road at a time of high traffic , he broke so many flight rules in a vintage jet that would have struggled to perform the manoeuvres if new , 11 men paid with their lives . R.I.P.
You should probably read the AAIB report on the accident, it doesn't support any of you ascertains that I would suggest are a tad libellous....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You should probably read the AAIB report on the accident, it doesn't support any of you ascertains that I would suggest are a tad libellous....
If they're anything like the motorsport variation, it's a bit like the house of lords.

just quietly shuffle off to the left ole chap, we'll sweep it under, see you at the bar. Chin chin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here