Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Woolworth's was full of total and utter tat :lolol:

I'm not sure people really miss it, it's just one of those shops that springs to mind easily when we're racking our brains for shops that no longer exist. All I remember it being good for is pick 'n mix sweets. Other than that, it just seemed to contain piles of generic school uniforms, saucepans with handles that would break off within three weeks of purchase, and the world's ugliest Gola football boots, costing about £9.99, that every child prayed their parents wouldn't buy and make them wear for P.E.

There were good reasons why Woolworth's went bust...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Certainly don't miss Comet

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
My mum once brought me Delaware jeans from Tescos in George St, when all the other kids had Levis.
They had dirty great big seams down the side.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My mum once brought me Delaware jeans from Tescos in George St, when all the other kids had Levis.
They had dirty great big seams down the side.

Did she buy you Gola football boots from Woolies too?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Did she buy you Gola football boots from Woolies too?

A friend told me a story about a friend of his who was jumped by a group of men in France and beaten up. He said that, while he was on the floor, being kicked in the face, all he could think was,

who the **** wears Gola trainers?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I notice "Bench" on the corner of North St and West St has closed - did they go bust ???
A few years ago everyone seemed to be wearing their clobber, all I bought was a pair of shorts their once - had trouble getting them to stay up :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tomorrows World down Boundary Rd. Gone completely now, but I used to spend many a Saturday morning down there playing "demos" of games on their C64's and Spectrums, before carefully deciding which game to spend my £7.99 on (or £1.99 on a Mastertronic jobbie if I'd had a tight week).

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Tomorrows World down Boundary Rd. Gone completely now, but I used to spend many a Saturday morning down there playing "demos" of games on their C64's and Spectrums, before carefully deciding which game to spend my £7.99 on (or £1.99 on a Mastertronic jobbie if I'd had a tight week).

You didn't have one of these?

pioneer-tape-deck.jpg

:thumbsup:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I miss Woolworths. but only for the pic'n'mix sweet counter, especially the Cadbury's Roses (I know you can buy the boxes anywhere, but I miss picking out my favourites - Hazel Whirls).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here