Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shootings at Pulse nightclub in Orlando

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’ve lived in the States for 7 years and intend to become a US citizen. Two things I’ve never understood is their obsession with religion and guns, “Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition” – but it’s their country and their rules. This being NSC this thread contains some good points and the usual ill-informed nonsense.

Seems to a lot of Americans that gun reform is almost impossible at a Federal level especially as nothing changed after Sandy Hook, but that individual States can enact their own legislation. New York has some of the toughest gun controls in the US.

Even Reagan understood that the second amendment never intended to give people the right to own assault rifles and automatic weapons and banned them in 1986 and also backed the Brady gun law which established many of the controls on gun purchase which are in place today. Since then of course the NRA and other gun lobbies have become more powerful and have made it possible for people to purchase weapons like the AR 57 used in Orlando. The second amendment was written at a time when guns only held one bullet at a time - machine guns, automatic and semi-automatic rifles do not belong in the hands of civilians, the mentally ill or would-be terrorists.

Gun control will now inevitably be a key issue during the run up to the Election with Clinton and Trump already taking positions.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I though Obama summed things up very stoically reminding Americans there is a choice on stopping these type of tragic events by changing the gun laws if there is an appetite for it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I though Obama summed things up very stoically reminding Americans there is a choice on stopping these type of tragic events by changing the gun laws if there is an appetite for it.
I saw somewhere, perhaps The Daily Show, a compilation of Obama's responses to all the mass shootings during his presidency.

They showed his emotional state, from total horror, then through sadness, anger, belligerence, to finally (almost) acceptance.

As an aside:-

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I saw somewhere, perhaps The Daily Show, a compilation of Obama's responses to all the mass shootings during his presidency.

They showed his emotional state, from total horror, then through sadness, anger, belligerence, to finally (almost) acceptance.

As an aside:-

edit

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Currently watching the Black Power documentary on BBC1.

1,100 shot dead by the police in 2015, KKK chapters doubled in numbers last year.

Very depressing viewing.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

1,100 shot dead by the police in 2015, KKK chapters doubled in numbers last year.

Very depressing viewing.

With Trump having a very good chance of becoming president now he will have the backing of the gun culture in America.

Putin riding a horse shirtless menacingly patrolling the Russian borders.

Indeed, great future for the world in prospect....

Guess we have had it good for too long, time to get rid of some dead wood.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Very depressing viewing.

Out of a population of 323,000,000 there are approximately 4000 KKK members. The number of chapters may have doubled but membership is falling. They have no political clout and are certainly not in a position to organise a revolt. As with the black separatist movements, they are at the street thug level.

Crime rates in the USA are now lower than they were in the Sixties. Homicide numbers have decreased since 1992, but are still four times higher than the UK. Hopefully the numbers will continue to drop.

As for those shot dead by the police, maybe there was no alternative. Presumably a cop shot and killed the shooter at the Florida nightclub. A policeman was killed by a Muslim in Paris yesterday, underlining that it can be a dangerous job.

The Guardian keeps a detailed list of everyone killed by the police in the USA: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database#

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
With Trump having a very good chance of becoming president now he will have the backing of the gun culture in America.

Putin riding a horse shirtless menacingly patrolling the Russian borders.

Whether Trump or Clinton is president will not make one iota of difference to the Second Amendment.

Putin is a menace that needs to be if not stopped then de-clawed. Shutting down the oil pipeline to Europe, which provides the continent with 30% of its fuel but gives Russia about 70% of its money, would be a way to clip his wings.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whether Trump or Clinton is president will not make one iota of difference to the Second Amendment.

Putin is a menace that needs to be if not stopped then de-clawed. Shutting down the oil pipeline to Europe, which provides the continent with 30% of its fuel but gives Russia about 70% of its money, would be a way to clip his wings.

I thought Trump and Putin are having a love in?

https://youtu.be/xFsE2Bs6M6U

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Clinton is the biggest warmonger of all. She's more likely to cause major conflict than anyone given her history and being the political puppet she is.

Gary Johnson is the best Presidential candidate for the US.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Right wing extremists do not generally wear suicide vests. This murderer almost certainly was radicalised and was a terrorist. Muslim, parents from Afghanistan, not rocket science is it.

not representative of islam
a tiny minority
a peace loving reigion
a well liked family man
local iman had no idea he was radicalised
it was frustatration due to the rise of the right wing

pick any 3 and win a gold star

The gunman was a Muslim who rang the police and pledged allegiance to Islamic State. There are eleven Islamic countries - combined population 100 million - where homosexuality is punishable by death. A Florida imam has said that gays must be killed. Not too hard to see what's happened here.

Its always easy to assume that the obvious is the truth (and most often, it will be).

I wouldn't be surprised if the scum who did it was a gay himself. Full of self hatred, jealously and rage. Using his ridiculous religious views as an excuse to perpetrate his heinous crime. R I P all the victims.

It turns out, that this is very likely to have been the case.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just catching up with The Daily Show:-

In his time in office President Obama has hosted 12 State Dinners.
But given 16 post mass shooting speeches.

So far this year, in the US, 23 people have been shot by toddlers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here