Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shootings and explosion in Paris!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
But who do you get violent against? This is not like what might be called a traditional (for want of a better phrase) where you Are at war with a country. This is about fighting an often hidden enemy. If you kill thousands of innocent people then is this any better than yesterday? It could make it escalate and help the propaganda. It is not as simple as launching some nuclear weapons as some say.

My response was in response to a post linking the acts of terrorism in Paris to others elsewhere in the world, and why that, in some way, explains the motives of refugees.

Those hundreds of thousands of refugees will do nothing to resolve their countries problems by having it on their toes.

You can only fight what is in front of you, and for many refugees they have left countries where their enemies are not hidden.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Poland has announced it will no longer take refugees via an EU programme, in a deeply controversial statement that linked the crisis to the killings in Paris.

“The European council’s decisions, which we criticised, on the relocation of refugees and immigrants to all EU countries are part of European law,”

“After the tragic events of Paris we do not see the political possibility of respecting them,” he said.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The stuff about a grenade is from a 12 year old story being shared on Facebook. Social networking at its worst.

Tis a shame that such events bring out the worst, as well as the best, of current media.

Today I have seen wonderful displays of solidarity, compassion and support. I have also seen lies, prejudice and nasty agenda. I guess this isn't displaying any shift in cultural thought patterns. It's just more visible these days.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
FN:

For the sixth time in 2015, Islamist terrorism has struck our country.France*mourns her dead and I mourn with her. I pay tribute to the dedication of our armed forces.

France must determine who its friends are and who its enemies are. France’s enemies are those who maintain links with Islamism. Once and for all, France must recapture control of its borders.

Islamist fundamentalism must be destroyed, radical mosques must be closed and radicals clerics must be expelled. French terrorists must be stripped of their citizenship and banned from this country.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
“France and those who follow her voice must know that they remain the main target of Islamic State and that they will continue to smell the odour of death for having led the crusade, for having dared to insult our prophet, for having boasted of fighting Islam in France and striking Muslims in the caliphate with their planes,” the group said in a statement.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Feelings and motives are entirely different to actions though. We have after all had a history of ill judged foreign policy in the Middle East which has been the cause of widespread animosity, even from moderates.

That may well be true, but supporters make it a great deal easier for actions to happen. I am sure that those animals last night will have had back-up. I would not be quite so happy to partially excuse those with feelings, as you seem to be doing. And yes, whilst most folk would admit that errors were made by Blair, when are we going to say that extreme islam is actually to blame, rather than the West?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sadly we were warned as far back as February, yet still no real control was administered.
This from February 2015

ISIS Releases Statement: We Have Already Smuggled Four Thousand ISIS Fighters Into Western Nations, Disguising Themselves As Refugees, And They Will be Executing Major Attacks.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
So you're saying the majority of UKIP voters aren't anti-Muslim daily mail reading immigration doom mongering little englanders?
I have a think about it.

could you get anymore one eyed?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Feelings and motives are entirely different to actions though. We have after all had a history of ill judged foreign policy in the Middle East which has been the cause of widespread animosity, even from moderates.

True although some might say having sympathy with the feelings and motives of terrorists who kill your fellow citizens should be a cause for concern. I'm not a fan of the masochistic we brought it on ourselves attempted justification/excuse for Islamist terrorism. It feeds a sense of grievance/victimhood within the Muslim community instead of helping the 'moderates' draw a clear zero tolerance line in the sand against extremism.

Out of interest are the moderates the ones that only believe in the sanctioned killing of apostates, subjugation of women and persecution of homosexuals ?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
That may well be true, but supporters make it a great deal easier for actions to happen. I am sure that those animals last night will have had back-up. I would not be quite so happy to partially excuse those with feelings, as you seem to be doing. And yes, whilst most folk would admit that errors were made by Blair, when are we going to say that extreme islam is actually to blame, rather than the West?

I'm doing nothing of the sort. I was merely making a distinction that supporting a cause doesn't make you complicit in any repugnant actions that others may take in the name of that cause.

Historically whenever Al-Quaeda and their ilk speak out their main contention is that we should not be setting foot on and interfering in their lands and business. Most of us would agree that we shouldn't either, but that doesn't make us sympathetic to their actions.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So you're saying the majority of UKIP voters aren't anti-Muslim daily mail reading immigration doom mongering little englanders?
I have a think about it.

Meanwhile back in the real world, ukip voters woke up to the problems ages ago, whilst you were eating your lentils and tree hugging and dismissing the concerns of ukip voters...and many others as it happens, you were making excuses and supporting just about everybody apart from the English......perhaps the "doom mongering" was/is fairly spot on, whilst you are still coming to terms with what is happening and might happen in the future.....keep up eh.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have a think about it.
Utterly pathetic. I'm sorry, but that really is if you've had a think about things and that's the best you can come up with

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
How many ******* times do people have to say it? NO THEY ******* DON'T. They kill ANYONE that doesn't believe in what THEIR interpretation of the Quran is and destroy ANYTHING built before it i.e. Palmyra

I am well aware of that. YOU TIT. My point was that it isn't a gender thing or anything else, it is a religion thing. ANYWAY, thanks FOUR replying ERNEST.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Utterly pathetic. I'm sorry, but that really is if you've had a think about things and that's the best you can come up with

Seems it is the best he and many can come up with. Default stance, blame ukip supporters, the DM which i personally do not read, and anyone that supports and champions the country that they live in....it's all our fault.....sadly we are not the ones that have been involved in terrorist attacks.....sure feels like it though.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm doing nothing of the sort. I was merely making a distinction that supporting a cause doesn't make you complicit in any repugnant actions that others may take in the name of that cause.

Historically whenever Al-Quaeda and their ilk speak out their main contention is that we should not be setting foot on and interfering in their lands and business. Most of us would agree that we shouldn't either, but that doesn't make us sympathetic to their actions.

That at least is reassuring and I did actually think that what you say is indeed the case. As to your degree of complicity that of course would depend on what your actual support amounted to.

I can't help feeling that your last para is rather simplistic -if Al Q and their ilk are murdering others, then by this logic we just sit back and say we will not interfere in their business. So ISIS can rape and pillage their way through the Middle East and we should not get involved in their business? It really is not that simple.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
True although some might say having sympathy with the feelings and motives of terrorists who kill your fellow citizens should be a cause for concern. I'm not a fan of the masochistic we brought it on ourselves attempted justification/excuse for Islamist terrorism. It feeds a sense of grievance/victimhood within the Muslim community instead of helping the 'moderates' draw a clear zero tolerance line in the sand against extremism.

Out of interest are the moderates the ones that only believe in the sanctioned killing of apostates, subjugation of women and persecution of homosexuals ?

I think the word "sympathy" was misleading. It is possible to understand the motivation without agreeing with it.

There were millions of people, not just Muslims, who were against the "illegal" war in Iraq, and the actions of Blair and Bush made the "illegal" the events of 7/7 highly likely.

The word sympathy sounds like it covers the point but it is inaccurate because I understand the motivation, and I am not Muslim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here