Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shock horror!

theroyal

May 11, 2014
As someone who has done the Reading to Brighton trip a few times I should probably be kind and offer advice.

I would probably drive it, the trains are Ok but only every half an hour from Reading to Gatwick. There is also always the risk of Southern messing up again.

I would jump on the M4 and then round the 25 and down. Look up the Mill Road park and ride. It is perfect for someone coming from our direction. On the day it may be best to head across to the M3 which cuts out a bit of the M25 that is often a *******. However there is an annoying 50 limit on it at the moment covering about a million miles up to the M25.

It is advised that the Park and Rides will be full from about an hour and a half before kick off - I have only had a problem with it being full once. Drive down from Calcot used to take me between 2 and 3 hours so not really much different from the train. You just get to chose your music and not have to wait around at Brighton station

Cheers!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
150 came last season wasn't it?

wasn't it closer to 300...but i get the point they're a tinpot club

It was 199, I remember cos my son and I guessed 200, closest we've ever got

199 apparently (see above).

This was taken by myself a minute or so before the players entered the pitch.

IMG_0132.PNG

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They didn't even huddle, probably pulled off the streets by Barber.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It looks like Reading are on their way to selling out their allocation for the match at the Amex - 1,500 out of 2,000 sold as of this time yesterday. I'll be going.

Considering the match is on TV, I'm as stunned as you are.

Looking forward to it, I'm not expecting anything from the match really but for once it'll be nice to have a decent following at your place. :smile:

I've not been to the Amex before - is driving the better option, as I've heard talk of train issues?

I can't help feeling, that with 1800 plastic Reading supporters there, this is a great marketing opportunity for Mr Barber to print off some half and half's? Should go down a bomb in the away pen.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Reading at home (followed by Toon at home), could be defining matches - for us and Reading. I couldn't say with any confidence what the result will be. All I'm certain of is that I'll probably be v nervous!

theroyal

May 11, 2014
A bit of perspective on last year's following - It was a fixture rearranged at short notice for a weeknight, £30 a ticket, bad traffic (I recall), and a game that meant absolutely nothing to our season and practically a guaranteed return of zero points.

Considering Reading fans have a tendency to be fair-weather, it doesn't surprise me. We do travel when we want to.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It looks like Reading are on their way to selling out their allocation for the match at the Amex - 1,500 out of 2,000 sold as of this time yesterday. I'll be going.

Considering the match is on TV, I'm as stunned as you are.

Looking forward to it, I'm not expecting anything from the match really but for once it'll be nice to have a decent following at your place. :smile:

I've not been to the Amex before - is driving the better option, as I've heard talk of train issues?
Personally I wouldn't even think of getting the train. Leave yourself plenty of time and drive to Brighton. Don't go to the ground, there's no parking nearby. If you can't get into one of the free P & R sites head into the centre of Brighton. You might be able to find some on-street parking (usually pay and display) or you might have to use a city centre car park. These are expensive, but it'll be worth it as you know you'll make the game rather than being foiled by signal failures, power failures, train failures or lack of staff. Plus as has been mentioned your match ticket will give you free travel from the city centre to the ground and back again afterwards. If there's three or four of you the money you've spent on the car park will be covered by the money you save in bus fares.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A bit of perspective on last year's following - It was a fixture rearranged at short notice for a weeknight, £30 a ticket, bad traffic (I recall), and a game that meant absolutely nothing to our season and practically a guaranteed return of zero points.

Considering Reading fans have a tendency to be fair-weather, it doesn't surprise me. We do travel when we want to.

Not sure we'd take that many for a midweek fixture close to the end of the season for what was basically meaningless game either. Some of our fans are starting to sound like mini MASSIVES :rolleyes:

Really hope we can put your frankly annoying results behind us and gain all three points in what looks like a six pointer as things stand

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Not sure we'd take that many for a midweek fixture close to the end of the season for what was basically meaningless game either. Some of our fans are starting to sound like mini MASSIVES :rolleyes:

Really hope we can put your frankly annoying results behind us and gain all three points in what looks like a six pointer as things stand

We would take at least 3k... you sound like a tinpot apologist :D

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

If we were mid table with nothing to play for in a rearranged midweek fixture, yes really. We have been very fortunate to have been in contention for promotion or relegation late into the season every year we have been at the Amex so cannot give you an example. Having followed this club for decades I can assure you we go a bit fairweather when we are shit and mid table late in the season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Seriously? Even a nothing game to one of the closer places on the map you reckon we'd take 200 tops?

Mar 2, 2014
I couldn't say with any confidence what the result will be. All I'm certain of is that I'll probably be v nervous!

I can tell you, if you want the spoiler. We'll beat Reading, who are ordinary at best. Organised and disciplined with a lack of quality. They'll be stubborn, not quite Cardiff, but they'll give it a go, and lose 2-0. See Leeds' visit to the Amex earlier in the season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Seriously? Even a nothing game to one of the closer places on the map you reckon we'd take 200 tops?

Maybe a few more but not many after a couple of seasons of being a bit shit after relegation from the Premier..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here