Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirley Hemeds last chance

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My wife texted me to say one of the pundits on Sky had said "as good as Shearer".
They did, but it was Ian Holloway.

Pleased for Hemed though, hopefully this will be the catalyst for a good scoring run for him. Any combo of Knockaert/Kaz/Murphy/Solly down the wings and Wilson plus Bobby or Hemed (all pending fitness, obviously) sounds pretty good to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would still drop him - delighted that he got his goal but that chance where he screwed wide of the post rather than going across the keeper as any natural goalscorer would have done spoke volumes I'm afraid. My front pairing would be Zamora for the chance conversion and Wilson to stretch teams, which with two effective wingers in Knocky Jamie and Kaz (perm 2 from 3) we will do consistently now. Hemed will be a decent option from the bench as against Charlton.

I know why Hughton goes for him, his workrate is phenomenal but it's time to be bold and really go for the 3-pointers - I still dont think Hull/Boro are beyond us if we give it a right go.
But when Hemed plays he sets up the Wilson cameo.

Your selection only works if Bobby doesn't play how he did last night, and runs Wilson into the ground.

CH knows exactly what he'll get from Hemed, and that effort makes Wilson's job even easier.
I'm sure had it not been for injuries Kaz would have come on last night, he and JW would have ripped Brentford a new one.
All set up by Tomer battering them.

That said I do take your point about his side net 'effort', but you get what you pay for.
There's no point seeing that and saying 'well Jordan Rhodes would have put that away'.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He has missed some chances recently that I had expected him to score. But that's what a lack of form and poor confidence does to a striker.

As Zamora said this week, he's been luckier than Hemed and stats look good for him. But it's a team effort that wins games

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
We have 4 strikers who all offer different strengths, Hemed is not a natural finisher and that's obvious in his play, but he runs teams ragged and creates gaps in the defence. He's not a Leo Ulloa or Rhodes and the quicker we get used to that, the better... Took me a while

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think his overall play is excellent.He holds the ball up well, has a good lay-off and tracks back and helps out well in defensive situations.
His work rate last night was superb, his header was brilliantly taken and directed, but he seems to lack that killer instinct with his feet.
I rate him and feel he will only get better.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The usual moaners were slagging him off constantly last night. Weird, do any other clubs slag off their top scorer as much ?

I think his overall play is excellent.He holds the ball up well, has a good lay-off and tracks back and helps out well in defensive situations.
His work rate last night was superb, his header was brilliantly taken and directed, but he seems to lack that killer instinct with his feet.
I rate him and feel he will only get better.

Spot on & our joint leading goal scorer too & an ever present in the team. Can't be easy acclimatising to our winter either! Delighted that he scored last night & CH knows what he is doing. However, I wished he didn't sub him last night & revert to 451, inviting pressure. We didn't need that!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No doubt the moaners will achieve what they did with Barnes and piss him off so much he will leave.

Personally think he has a lot of quality and brung much to the team that is very good

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No doubt the moaners will achieve what they did with Barnes and piss him off so much he will leave.

Personally think he has a lot of quality and brung much to the team that is very good

I was thinking exactly the same thing, it seems we "must" have a player everyone can uniformly without real justification vilify...

From what I have seen Hamed is very much like Barnes and his all round contribution to the team is not actually recognized by most fans, who see him foremost as a striker who should be scoring goals on a regular basis. However I feel the game has changed slightly and there is so much more to their game including hold up & link up play, which he is very good at again like Barnes. Long gone are the days of the walkers crisp man hanging around in the six yard area for a tap in.

That's my opinion anyway, for what its worth...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Lose Hemed, lose Kayal.

Anyone getting on Hemed's back is a DICK.

Feb 14, 2010
That header was what a forward is paid for. Peel off the defender in the box and calmly place the ball away from the keeper into the net It reminded me of Murray when he played for Reading on boxing day against us last season. That is what Hemed must do regularly if he is to be a decent forward, peel off defenders and put the ball away from the keeper into the net. One swallow doesn't make a summer but, possibly our coaching staff might be starting to earn their corn and got him to practice it in training.. or is that too much to ask, as after all, all they do is play football all week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

As always though, it's a game of two opinions.

If a forward goes a couple of months without scoring despite having a decent run of games and not showing any obvious kind of goalscoring prowess, then the majority of posters who express an opinion will naturally express the opinion that he's not what is needed at this level.

When he finally gets on the scoresheet with a well-taken goal, the told-you-he-was-brilliant posters immediately all pop up.

Same as it ever was.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Lose Hemed, lose Kayal.

Absolutely, and the two of them are the beating heart of everything Albion.

Absolutely adore Tomer Hemed, he does so much for team, unselfish running, always wants the ball, wears down the resilience of the opposition defenders, plays others in for goals, and finally, hopefully, is starting to come up with a few goals of his own again.

But he really is the epitome of everything I love about our squad this season, a team full of good honest professionals, all working their socks off for one another, and for the cause. Not one prima-donna amongst them.

As Rob Townsend said in yesterday's Argus, anyone who thought we were about to splash out on a Jordan Rhodes, or a Ross McCormack was delusional.

Who needs them anyway?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But he really is the epitome of everything I love about our squad this season, a team full of good honest professionals, all working their socks off for one another, and for the cause. Not one prima-donna amongst them.
Yep, we've got a fantastic team at the moment, it would be a shame to have a prima donna detract from it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
All credit to him for scoring a good goal last night but apart from that was truly dreadfull. Hopefully not going back to CMS days when we praise running around. Not the greatest fan of Barnes but would much prefer him. At least defenders new they were in a game with him. Hemeds shot off target when only keeper to beat was unbelievable.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Are you going to eat your humble pie for breakfast or lunch?

I had a late supper last night ��, let's hope it's not another 2 months before he scores again and can move onwards and upwards after his great goal

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
All credit to him for scoring a good goal last night but apart from that was truly dreadfull. Hopefully not going back to CMS days when we praise running around. Not the greatest fan of Barnes but would much prefer him. At least defenders new they were in a game with him. Hemeds shot off target when only keeper to beat was unbelievable.
Whilst Hemed may not have had the most outstanding game ever, there is no way on earth that his performance was truly 'dreadfull'.

He didn't just 'run around' and he also scored a great goal. Did you ever see us in the basement? Some of those performances in those days were truly dreadful.

el punal

The usual moaners were slagging him off constantly last night. Weird, do any other clubs slag off their top scorer as much ?

I must be fortunate, sitting in the West Upper I'm surrounded by positive fans who support the players and slag off the ref and linesmen instead! The moaners you seem to be describing probably have a flavour of the month competition - I believe the winner for December and January was Lewis Dunk.

Good God, why enthuse about a player when you can easily berate and criticise them, so much more fun. :shrug:

For what it's worth, go on to other clubs' fans forum and you'll find the same, if not worse, pack of moaners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here