Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Shinpads

Should shinpads?

• Be abolished?

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • No change required

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Mandate shin pads and ankle protectors?

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
There should really be minimum dimensions for shin pads to outlaw these micro shinpads.

I would go further and ensure that all socks are pulled up to at least just below knee level. Failure to do so would be a yellow card.
Are there maximum dimensions for goalkeeper's gloves? Could Bart or Steele wear Brother Lee Love style ones? Might be handy at penalties...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that rolling around in agony went some way to DCL getting sent off.

Funny how 'Goodnight' can't stay on his feet where as Mitoma can't fall over doing essentially the same job.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Aside from injuries there is an awful lot of rolling around on the floor after contact. Give it a couple of minutes and off they run. The number of full blooded challenges seems to have decreased significantly, which is probably a good thing, but there is still a lot of players getting hurt, when maybe they could be doing more to protect their shins and ankles.
I shut my finger in the door the other day, I was jumping around like a gorilla for about 20 seconds then fine.

Jul 7, 2003
My Dad told me when I got my first football boots etc for use in school PE to always wear shinpads. My Grandad was the old 'bucket man' for Wigmore (now Worthing United) and had seen plenty of people injured by not wearing them.

My 'Robson Gold' shinpads saved me on numerous occasions back in the day. As a goalkeeper, I had a forward slide in late so hard I was spun around and the pad snapped in half but my leg was fine other than a slight bruise.

As a defender, opponents who left a foot in after a clearance ripped many a sock but not my leg (challenges that these days, would be VAR reviewed red cards).

Nearly 50 years later, when my rapidly failing body allows me to still turn out for social football, I still wear proper shinpads just in case.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
At a professional level, there shouldn't really be a need for legislation. This should be self-policing - players and moreover clubs should be able to make the decision between performance and safety (/asset management!). They are all well-enough informed to make the value judgment and understand the risks and consequences. That said, if the FA/PFA/Leagues chose to introduce legislation I would support it.

Amateur players and particularly children are however clearly influenced by the behaviours / kit displayed by professionals, and are less well placed to make that risk decision, so I am definitely in favour of protective rules being in place for at least junior organised training / leagues / cups.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
According to The FA, shin pads should "provide a reasonable degree of protection". So anything goes.

I absolutely loved mine in the 90s, looked like Robocop legs in socks. Wouldn't have it any other way.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It does seem strange that for players whose livelyhoods are dependant on remaing as fit as possible for as long as possible in what is a quite short career seem to be risking it by wearing what appears to be wholey inadequte basic safety gear.

From the outside looking in, micro shin pads, boots that look like they are made from very thing plastic appear to offer zero protection, however appearances can be very deceptive. Modern materials and technology have changed things out of all recognition over a relativly short space of time.

One thing I do know about is is outdoor walking/climbing equipment. I have a pair of walking boots that I bought years ago. Thick heavy leather, massive rubber soles, offer brilliant protection., weigh a ton! Compare them today with the very lightweight modern equivalent, its like wearing slippers. they look like they wouldnt hold up on a staircase, let alone actual mountain walking, the same with tents, bad weather clothing etc. what a few years ago weighed loads was thick and heavy, can now be scrunched up and put in a pocket. Tents that look flimsy as anything will actually stand up to storms.

Maybe these slipper like boots actually do offer decent protection, maybe enough analysis on injuries has been done that micro shin pads offer enough protection . I honestly cant believe clubs and more likley insurance companies would allow players to wear equipment that is demonstrably in adequate to protrect players worth tens of millions of ££

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here