Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherry's, Pink Coconut, Paradox etc......

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I use to take a young lady friend to Rumours and Toppers for a more sophisticated evening, am I right in thinking that the titty bar is there now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Coming from east of Brighton, it was natural to always start in Shades.

Then variously; The Druids, Pump House, Fagan’s, Frock & Jacket, The Star/Helsinki’s, Swifts.

Bobby Orlando was the creative force behind these songs we’re posting, including:

Genuinely, playing still evokes the exciting feeling we had as teens stepping into Coasters.

That was quite literally my crawl back in the late 80’s too

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Savannah anyone? Did I imagine it or was there a Return of the Jedi style hatch on the door?

9d2bc01015e1373b0dc092c04622c968.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Savannah anyone? Did I imagine it or was there a Return of the Jedi style hatch on the door?

9d2bc01015e1373b0dc092c04622c968.jpg

We first went to the Savannah in the early 80's when it was in a small-ish basement under at the far west side of the Queens Hotel (near Dr Brighton's).

Played indy music, similar to Subterfuge at the bottom of Preston Street.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some of their student geared nights I like, preferred king and queen to get fueled then Gloucester, finishing at the all night diner

That sounds more familiar

Or it was meet in the William Tell ( HOPE&RUIN) then Boyces St, Laines, and back to West Street for Sister Rays

Saw Blur in the Pink Coconut around '94/5? Also gigged there as part of POD fest with Spitfire maybe 95/96 that was a great night. I never went there as a night club in its own right though. Likewise the Event, great gig venue, cattle market of a night club with crap music!

Worthing was worse, although the Factory was pretty good.

Beachcomber/Concorde/Zap/BAsement were other regular gig/clubs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
POD
The Gloucester
Hobgoblin
KAPS
Market diner
Home

*stopped going to KAPS after the bouncers turned out to be nicking handbags. Got into a nasty fight with them in there after they swiped my girlfriend’s bag and got caught red handed. Run by a Persian mob/family I believe. Was always a dive.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Went to Hungry Years a few times. Would have been in its final throes by then though.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A bit later, still have my Kings II membership somewhere.

Now a LOT happened in there.

Mick Fuller spinning the tunes from the hit parade, all sorts of local businesspersons and wannabees. What memories.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nowhere on the planet compares to Bredbury Hall. Virtually impossible to fail in there in the day :lolol::lolol: Gone too I hear

A friend of mine’s husband had his stag do at Bradbury Hall and failed to pull.

I joked to her that he must be secretly gay, a few years later this proved to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
As of today :cry:

View attachment 137474

I went there many a time during its three lives.

Sherry’s - a couple of times as 16 and 17 year olds. Really just as a place to carry on downing pints after pub closing times. Naive kids, better nights to come.

Pink Coconut - had membership cards, some great nights, alternating nights with the Suite, Coasters, Busbys and all the other smaller niche clubs. Also the gay Bolts nights on a Sunday with girlfriends ... incredible music.

Paradox - random visits, it seemed too packed.

Au revoir old fella. Good times were had by all.

That's the first time I've seen the inside of Sherry's.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A friend of mine’s husband had his stag do at Bradbury Hall and failed to pull.

I joked to her that he must be secretly gay, a few years later this proved to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lolol: A true warning signal if ever I saw one! Any game in the Manchester area I was there. Place was often full of lads from various clubs never saw a fight there though, it was so good no one wanted to **** it up!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What was the pub, later Helsinkis, top of Ship St . . . sweaty Saturday nights and The HotKnifes, circa 1988/89 ?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sherry's was the first nightclub I ever went in, early 70s. Seriously underage, my two mates (who were 17 !) managed to talk the door staff into letting me in. I believe the line 'he's Jimmy Clitheroe's younger brother may have been used.

I remember the pile of rifled handbags in the corner of the Gents, a fight breaking out with someone going over the edge of the balcony, and me thinking 'so this is a nightclub - BRILLIANT :lolol:'

I'd managed to 'progress' to the Hungry Years and get permanently banned by Peppa all by the time I had turned 17. Long before the days of ID :thumbsup:

There was a (fist) fight one night in Sherry’s circa 77 that started on the balcony and escalated through the whole club. Ex-Fawcett & Stringer spat to start and then involved every other patron (mostly 16-19 year olds) including Females (thanks Martin). There were a lot of punch ups back then but this was a true Western bar brawl. Never been involved in or seen anything like it apart from in the movies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here