Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield Wednesday

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some huge games coming up next season in League 1 when Wednesday join Sunderland and Portsmouth, bound to be on Sky.

If Massive aren’t going to drop this season with the points deduction (bearing in mind Wigan have one in waiting too), what’s great is that the EFL instead apply it to next season. Crippling their decades long dream of returning to the football holy land. Shame that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Finance in football is ****ed. So much money on the game yet clubs are paying way over their income in order to complete.

These clubs are important parts of people's communities. I'm taking be pleasure in this stuff happening....... If indeed it is.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Finance in football is ****ed. So much money on the game yet clubs are paying way over their income in order to complete.

These clubs are important parts of people's communities. I'm taking be pleasure in this stuff happening....... If indeed it is.

Fortunately Sheffield has another club that people can go and watch. Not as Massive as Wednesday, of course, but in the PL as some sort of compensation. Tough on the fans of Wigan though ...

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
Strangely enough, I hope they don’t get clobbered for points.
I know they are MASSIVE and we like taking the piss etc,
but their supporters come across as proper fans. I have more time for them (whilst occasionally laughing at them) than I do for the humourless, entitled ‘supporters’ of Arsenal or the WACCOE lot of dirty Leeds for example.

Sorry.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I think all hope was lost when the Prem separated themselves from the rest of the Football League. As long as you have uncapped wages at the top level there is no hope for the rest. Champions League has just accelerated the decline.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Some play by the rules, running sustainable clubs.

Then a few Championship owners cheat, trying to outgun the opposition. Chansiri at Massive spends £42m a year on payroll alone and thinks nothing of blowing £13m a transfer window on new player fees. Their entitled fans don’t seem to condemn that at all, despite EFL penalties against the club growing by the year, instead bemoaning that they were caught, looking for loopholes and blaming a succession of managers on being football flops.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some play by the rules, running sustainable clubs.

Then a few Championship owners cheat, trying to outgun the opposition. Chansiri at Massive spends £42m a year on payroll alone and thinks nothing of blowing £13m a transfer window on new player fees. Their entitled fans don’t seem to condemn that at all, despite EFL penalties against the club growing by the year, instead bemoaning that they were caught, looking for loopholes and blaming a succession of managers on being football flops.

But even those that are sticking to the 'rules' are operating at a loss aren't they? Weren't we spending 10 million odd, a season during our promotion push?

Obviously some clubs are going to gamble more than others but I do wonder how many promoted clubs over the last 20 years have done so while living within their means?

Surely if the average wage as % of income was lower then clubs would be less at risk of imploding. To me the very fact that we need parachute payments for teams dropping out of the top flight demonstrates that the gap is too large between our top two leagues. And when the gap is this huge it surely follows that the gamble clubs have to make to bridge it is not sustainable?

I suppose that the same can be said for the gap between the top 6 and the rest also.

I wonder if a European Superleague instead of the Premier League would have been a better option. Or at least calling the big club's bluff on this to give the FA a bit more hand in the negotiations of the Premier League.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
but their supporters come across as proper fans. I have more time for them (whilst occasionally laughing at them) than I do for the humourless, entitled ‘supporters’ of Arsenal or the WACCOE lot of dirty Leeds for example.

Sorry.

This, I've got nothing against them at all. I love Sheffield and have only ever had positive interactions with Wednesday fans.

They just think that their club is a big club, and in many ways they are right.... see also A. Villa.

I'll get my coat.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Fortunately Sheffield has another club that people can go and watch. Not as Massive as Wednesday, of course, but in the PL as some sort of compensation. Tough on the fans of Wigan though ...

:lolol::lolol:

I can see this happening. Perhaps they can swap grounds too, so there is enough room for all of United's 'new' supporters. Added bonus for those Wednesday fans who mourn the loss of a full and rocking Hilsborough :lolol:

They really would be 'united' too.

Its a win win

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
They should be given an annual points deduction for inflicting that God-awful supporter's band on the world

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I hope they're really clobbered. My first girlfriend left me for a Wednesday supporter and they've been my most disliked clubs ever since .... and that was 42 years ago.

Not that I'm bitter or anything ... :smile:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t understand why people like Chansiri get involved in buying a club, They are obviously good business brains to be in a position to buy, so it seems to me,you may as well just burn millions without the added grief of being hated by a good proportion of the clubs fan base if you’re not a top 6 PL club.

Even if I was in the position where I could afford to buy a reasonable size club, I couldn’t buy something I haven’t been emotionally invested in previously, hence , the Albion are the only club I could ever invest in.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Seem to remember that we gambled big ( whilst just about staying inside FFP) in our promotion season.
Not sure whether we would have been able to fund a third tilt at automatic promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here