Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday takeover

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
An Azerbaijani millionaire with no previous connection to Sheffield or English football.

Nope, I can only see this turning out to be a HUGE success. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Where does Mandaric find these people ?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Wednesday have got potential though. They've been hamstrung for years by a relatively small amount of debt but if he clears that and can get some players in they could be MASSIVE again.

MASSIVE? Not anymore, clubs like Wednesday are living in the past, their communities are changing before their eyes. They are living in the stone ages.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
An Azerbaijani millionaire with no previous connection to Sheffield or English football.

Nope, I can only see this turning out to be a HUGE success. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Absolutely. After all, Azerbaijan's greatest gift to world football has been the 'Russian' linesman who have Geoff Hurts's 2nd goal in the '66 final. They even named the national stadium after him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Football finances are soooo ****ed.

You cynic, he will have to pass the rigourous "Right and Proper" test first and he may tick the wrong box by mistake.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I see he also owns Lens in France and Baku back home so this will be another Championship club (think Watford and Charlton) whose owner can move players around his clubs via loans or free transfers thus neatly sidestepping FFP.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
At least Hafiz Mammadov appears to be a genuine and long term football fan. He's also owned his local team for 10 years as well as Lens in France.

I'm not sure how much loyalty any foreign owner is likely to have for an English team though. Time will tell I guess.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The thing is he won't just clear their debts as I'm fairly certain he wont be allowed to do that under FFP. He will most likely absorb their debts, effectively taking them on from whoever they belong to at the moment. An Azerbaijani 'businessman' eh, that definitely doesnt sound dodgy at all does it? And when he has 'invested' a certain amount of his legitimate 'businessmans' money and had enough he will pull out and the debt which will no doubt be bigger by this stage will then be a debt to him. A cynical view but some of these clubs never seem to learn!
Does anyone else take any notice of FFP ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So i wonder who is next on Manderic's list. I dont think he has been sucessful at any of the clubs he has owned and all have had financial difficulties once he has left . Of course i was forgetting the meteoric success of Buying the FA cup with Portsmouth and then taking his money and running !

Mandaric bought Wednesday for £1 and sold them for £40 million. He has absorbed their running costs during his tenure but still has made a profit of about £10 million over the period.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Mandaric bought Wednesday for £1 and sold them for £40 million. He has absorbed their running costs during his tenure but still has made a profit of about £10 million over the period.

Its not that part i question .. He always seems to walk out of whoever he has taken over and walks away later with a pocket load of cash , meanwhile leaving the club in some sort of mess sometime in the not to distant future !

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not seen any report on the actual numbers (and who's to say they'd be right) but where has anyone got the idea that Mandaric has got £40m for the club? Genuine question before someone posts a link and starts ranting.

If he has that's an absolutely unbelievable bit of business. For him I mean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here