Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday don't rate us.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Possibly not, but Huenemeir was about somewhere in the region of 1m-1.5m .

That's a lot for an 29-year-old defender new to English football. Still, looks like I'm a real cheapskate when it comes to rating players ...

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Nothing club. Proper football fans in Sheffield all tend to be blades.

Pish and nonsense. Normally strict geographical boundaries or family allegiances dictate your team, but you should know that looking at your location.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hey fellas, seems like a fair result last night. Just for the record, like anything in life, it's not necessarily all of us that suggested we didn't rate you, as per this post on a mixed (Wednesday and United) board, from last week:

http://southyorksfooty.proboards.com/thread/2080/weds-brighton

As follows:

"Probably the toughest test yet and I think they're a season (or 2) ahead of us. They're undefeated :-/ in the league this entire SEASON - and could well be promoted by February at this rate - got to admire them for that start.

They spent £7,000,000 last season (14/15), and got a lovely cash windfall of £8,000,000 after selling Leonardo Ulloa to Leicester. They spent another £6,000,000 this Summer and also got a clutch of good players in on frees. Step forward Bobby Zamora. Still knows where the back of the net is! They've got progressive owners that allow funds to be re-invested on the first team squad. They're well run, their first team squad has 24 players - they have a good replacement for every position.

Excllent players that could hold their own in the bottom half of the Prem including Bobby Zamora, Kazenga LuaLua, Will Buckley, Sam Baldock, David Stockdale, Uwe Hünemeier and Jamie Murphy. Their 6ft 3" Scottish International centre-back, Gordon Greer (captain) is solid.

Landing Murphy was an amazing bit of business, a fantastic little winger and still only 26. A £4,000,000 player for just under £2m. (rofl)

They take a punt on "highly rated" kids too, such as some hot prospects signed in the Summer:

This kid has been at Real Mad-Rid for 6 years! >> http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/brighton-hove-albion-sign-real-madrid-striker-2564054.aspx

Others that look good..

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...and-hove-albion-from-chlemsford-2479412.aspx?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Goldson

They do appear a particularly well run club, don't they?

They've spent big money on their ground, I've never been but it looks smart.

If I thought we could beat them, I'd boldly say so. However, I think they'll be taking on the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd next season and reckon we'll lose by 2 goals. This might just bring us back down to earth a little, which is not always a bad thing in life. We'll dust ourselves of and go and get a point or 3 at Charlton next Saturday.

I wish I was there this Tuesday night, I might have nipped up as it happens were it not for a meeting Wednesday morning. ::) Oh well.

Wednesday 1-3 Brighton.
:( "
Good post. It seems that there is a more reasonable section of the Wednesdat support. Maybe it is just Owlstalk that attracts the less generous types.

A good result for both teams I think.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Pish and nonsense. Normally strict geographical boundaries or family allegiances dictate your team, but you should know that looking at your location.
Ha ha, yes I may have had a couple of drinks prior to that post and was wound up by the Wednesday mongs on that site.

My next door neighbours who are lovely are big Wednesday fans as is my father in law who's a top bloke. So I apologise.

However I still stand by Sheffield Wednesday [emoji23]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anyway, good luck and best wishes for the rest of the season, I'll not post on your board anymore.
Fair enough, and good luck and best wishes too. If your owls boards are still talking about the match, however, you might care to point out this error (from Owlstalk) -

"The thing with a team like them though, they are relying heavily on their starting 11 for the 'core' organisation which they are doing so well with at the moment. Say, one of the central midfielders got injured and one of the hard working full backs. They've suddenly lost two players which are working so well to keep the balance of the team spot on, usually start to derail then"

It's already happened, two games before we played you. Our captain and centre back has been sidelined for a while now, and our first choice left back (played every minute of every match until then) is out for three months. They might just be back for the return ...................

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Apologies, I only got my figures (which everyone expects to be approximates) from here:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/bri...ball-teams/brighton-and-hove-albion-transfers

They are usually pretty accurate, for our club anyway. I think O 'Grady's fee is accurate at £2,000,000 - plus you signed Murphy from the Blunts for £1,750,000. Those 2 players alone total £3,750,000. Anyway, good luck and best wishes for the rest of the season, I'll not post on your board anymore.
Decent away fans are always welcome. Always enjoy the trip to Sheffield myself, although sadly not for a midweeker.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
It sounds high to me. I think that Murphy, Manu, Goldson and Huenemeier were the only players we actually bought (Maenpaa, Zamora, Bong and Hemed were out of contract). Weren't Murphy and Manu about £1.5m each and the two CBs about £1m between them. Am I missing something?
Manu murphy uwe £1.5m each. Hemed £1.2m. Godson 600k. We spent a bit last year too on Kayal Baldock COG etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here