Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sheffield United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think he was called to the monitor because it was subjective. That is - was the touch by Buanonotte a deliberate act or merely a deflection.
The player was offside from the initial header, that hit Buanonotte. wouldn''t that have been sufficient to rule it out?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The player was offside from the initial header, that hit Buanonotte. wouldn''t that have been sufficient to rule it out?
No - not if Buonanotte's touch was deemed to be deliberate. Say for example he'd tried to chest it back to the keeper, in Dunk stylee, and their 'offside' player had turned it in - it would have stood.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wasn't attwell called to the monitor for their disallowed goal?
I think it was to change from foul on the keeper to offside though.

Not really sure why he had to go to the monitor for that though.
I think you're right on this. I suspect that he had to go to the monitor because it wasn't entirely clear-cut whether the ball came off the SU player either before or after it hit Buonanotte -- and that meant there was some uncertainty about whether it constituted offside (or not).
The ref and head of VAR communicate to one another and indicate why they have come to the decision they have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here