Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheff Wednesday on the brink

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Are they still 'big' though?

Out of the top flight for 20 years. Haven't won anything since the league cup in 90/91. Haven't won a league trophy since 58/59.

They've spent a large portion of their history in the top division, sure, but the last time they won that was about 90 years ago.

I don't normally get into 'big club / small club' discussions but some teams, like MASSIVE, get lumped in because they were good. Once. A long time ago.

I would argue that history and fan base largely dictates big club rather than recent performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
MASSIVE news. Literally :moo:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A cracking example of mis management by a series of owners. The list is long though of clubs that should be run better. How many years were Leeds underperforming due to mis management. Wednesday are similar in my book.

Well, if that's a list of clubs that have spaffed their owners money up the wall year after year and have massive debts then it is indeed a very very long list, it would be a very very short list of the clubs that don't fit that criteria...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I would argue that history and fan base largely dictates big club rather than recent performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I get that. Just for me big clubs are your Manchester(s), Liverpool etc.

MASSIVE don't get anywhere near that discussion for me.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
100% stay in business...and get relegated if they don’t mind.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I appreciate that The Athletic is behind a subscription but that's its business model. It's not an excuse to post whole articles here in contravention of copyright. It's also only a matter of days since [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] reinforced this on another thread.

If people want to see the whole thing they can subscribe or, perhaps, just maybe, a DULLARD will be along shortly to put meat on the bones that is our own NSC spin on things.

I'm tempted to say "how sad" and suggest they need a MASSIVE payoff, seeing as their fans have been such bellends over the last few years (possibly longer) but, in reality, we've been there and we know what it means to be close to extinction. While a spell in League One won't do their egos any harm I'd certainly chuck into a virtual collecting bucket if it meant they continued to exist for us to laugh at. Long may they continue to be a professional football club without being particularly massive.

Well said. We may well all have our individual petty quarrels, but fans losing the football club thay they passionately support, that's a terrible thing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Solution from American investors.

Buy both Sheffield clubs, and merge into one - Sheffield City.
Sell both grounds for redevelopment, and build one new corporate focused new ground.

Unpalatable yes, but will this be the future to keep football in a city? (Hopefully not and both clubs can continue)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Sell both grounds for redevelopment, and build one new corporate focused new ground.

Unpalatable yes, but will this be the future to keep football in a city? (Hopefully not and both clubs can continue)

l think even Blades fans would want the Owls to stay alive, just so that they could continue their rivalry.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But should Sheffield City play in blue and white or red and white stripes?

Or worse red and blue stripes.

A horrible solution which doesn't recognise fan culture or the city of Sheffield.

I'd rather BHA died than we merged with Palace ... or anyone else

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's a very real possibility that, next season, the highest place league club in South Yorkshire will be Barnsley - with Rotherham and Donny both higher placed than Massive. You'd have got long odds on that in the days when they were challenging us in the play-offs

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think there is some sensationalism here from the OP. A going concern comment from the auditors is a bit like clamydia, not pleasant, given a choice between having it and not having it I'd rather not, there's too much of it about at present, but unlikely to be life threatening. There are many other clubs in the Championship who had similar warnings in 2018/19 too.

View attachment 134723

If anyone wants to read a non paywall article on the accounts, a DULLARD spoke to the local paper on Tuesday night when they were published.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-the-going-concern-is-no-real-cause-for-concern-for-sheffield-wednesday-3160178

A RENOWNED dullard, the Star says!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't think they are any more "on the brink" than they have been in recent years ?

The accounts say the owner needs to continue putting in money. As they have said before ?

We need Tony to continue putting in money unless we start selling stars every so often.

The present football pyramid looks unsustainable as things stand.

The Premier League is to blame, of course, with its All-Or-Nothing financial model. The richest clubs are further enriching themselves with Champions League revenues and billionaire owners who scoff at FFP. They'll be okay whatever happens, but still covet an even greater share of the pie.

Those on the supposed Premier League gravy train but outside that elite (including us, and we are relatively stable financially by comparison to one or two others) overspend to stay there. If they go down they can use the parachute payments to pay off debts but most will reinvest it in order to try to get back. And now Burnley, the last club in the top flight to retain any sanity in its running, has sold out to American money and is in debt after being in profit.

Meanwhile, those in the Championship overspend even more wildly relative to their income in order to try to get to where we are, knowing that even if they succeed, it is unlikely to solve their financial problems unless they resolve to follow Norwich's example of accepting relegation.

None of it works without rich backers, in some cases entire countries, rather than local men or women made good. The whole structure is rotten.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There's a very real possibility that, next season, the highest place league club in South Yorkshire will be Barnsley - with Rotherham and Donny both higher placed than Massive. You'd have got long odds on that in the days when they were challenging us in the play-offs

Thats for sure. I've always had a soft spot for Barnsley, ever since their then secretary invited my friend and l into their boardroom to view their trophy 'shelf' with just one cup on it, when we arrived at Oakwell early one rainy day prior to our game there back in the 1980's.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Thats for sure. I've always had a soft spot for Barnsley, ever since their then secretary invited my friend and l into their boardroom to view their trophy 'shelf' with just one cup on it, when we arrived at Oakwell early one rainy day prior to our game there back in the 1980's.

This is a euphemism, right...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here