Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheff Wed v Leeds

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
4 months is about right. 5 yr ban too lenient, should be a lifetime.

And I thought what made the incident worse was the way the Leeds fans let him rejoin the terrace and melt away. Nobody even rebuked him, let alone tried to restrain him. And the Jimmy Savile chant was in pretty poor taste too.

Leeds can ban him for life if they want - I expect that they will. PR disaster if they don't.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've got to be honest- and I don't wish for a second to seem to be trivialising what is undoubtedly a criminal offence of assault by a complete tool- but I did find myself thinking when I first saw it that Kirkland went down like only a footballer could. That is obviously not the point here, and the twat that ran on deserves everything he gets, but I've seen as many if not more fights than most people, and people never, ever go down holding their face in a scrap, do they, unless they have been really, genuinely smashed? Even if they're hit completely unawares, the natural human reaction is to reel back, and then to look up and wonder what's hit you, not to drop to the floor.

I'm not criticising Kirkland, to be fair, the invader had no right to be where he was, I've no doubt it hurt momentarily, and I'm sure it was unexpected to say the least. It's not funny that he got hit, I guess I just see something in the reaction that seems to be very much a football thing, as opposed to the reaction you'd see in any other walk of life. It's kind of unnatural looking, I suppose.

Probably not making much sense there, but I know what I'm trying to say :) Just a shame the moron involved will be out of prison in time for Christmas.

Playing Sunday morning football a couple of seasons ago, I'd put in a few fairly strong tackles on the oppositions striker, and he was getting a bit wound up. After I'd put him on the floor once more, I was stood on the halfway line waiting for the game to restart, when one of their other players caught me, from behind, with a punch to the side of the head. I went straight down. Given how quickly any pain had passed, the guy can't have actually caught me very hard, but the shock of getting hit when you're not prepared for it definitely makes it feel worse. Its totally different to someone getting punched during a fight, when they'd see it coming and be braced for it.

(By the time I'd got to my feet, the little hardman had run straight off the pitch, to be subbed. The whole incident was behind the ref's back, and the nearside lino was the opposition's manager who unsurprisingly didn't see it....)

Jan 30, 2008
Playing Sunday morning football a couple of seasons ago, I'd put in a few fairly strong tackles on the oppositions striker, and he was getting a bit wound up. After I'd put him on the floor once more, I was stood on the halfway line waiting for the game to restart, when one of their other players caught me with a puch to the side of the head. I went straight down. Given how quickly any pain had passed, the guy can't have actually caught me very hard, but the shock of getting hit when you're not prepared for it definitely makes it feel worse. Its totally different to someone getting punched during a fight, when they'd see it coming and be braced for it.

(By the time I'd got to me feet, the little hardman had run straight off the pitch, to be subbed. The whole incident was behind the ref's back, and the nearside lino was the opposition's manager who unsurprisingly didn't see it....)
no its not, how many times you had a snide smack in the gob ?

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Playing Sunday morning football a couple of seasons ago, I'd put in a few fairly strong tackles on the oppositions striker, and he was getting a bit wound up. After I'd put him on the floor once more, I was stood on the halfway line waiting for the game to restart, when one of their other players caught me, from behind, with a punch to the side of the head. I went straight down. Given how quickly any pain had passed, the guy can't have actually caught me very hard, but the shock of getting hit when you're not prepared for it definitely makes it feel worse. Its totally different to someone getting punched during a fight, when they'd see it coming and be braced for it.

(By the time I'd got to my feet, the little hardman had run straight off the pitch, to be subbed. The whole incident was behind the ref's back, and the nearside lino was the opposition's manager who unsurprisingly didn't see it....)

Please don't think I'm sticking up for the dickhead who ran on. That's not my intention. I guess Kirkland is entitled to react however he likes. It just struck me as particularly "footballer-like", that's all.

Thank goodness it wasn't Suarez or Gareth Bale the bloke slapped. The pair of them would still be rolling over now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
no its not, how many times you hide a snide smack in the gob ?

Not many, I'd wager, but then again most people don't put themselves in a position to regularly get a smack in the gob, deserved or otherwise.

Here's the :rolleyes: for you, to save you looking, by the way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't know if anyone else has mentioned he was banned from football grounds for pelting disabled Ipswich supporters with missiles in 2007 . Sounds a real hard man

So, [MENTION=11191]Das Reich[/MENTION], should the disabled Ipswich fans just have laughed too?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It is possible, though, to play football and never once get smacked in the gob. If you keep your head down, play fairly (and cleanly) and don't mouth off to anyone (especially those bigger than you). Same applies to life in general, I've played football my entire life and have never been assaulted on the pitch - or off it.

That's why what happened to Kirkland is so cowardly and appalling. He wasn't even looking at him and did nothing to deserve it!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is possible, though, to play football and never once get smacked in the gob. If you keep your head down, play fairly (and cleanly) and don't mouth off to anyone (especially those bigger than you). Same applies to life in general, I've played football my entire life and have never been assaulted on the pitch - or off it.

That's why what happened to Kirkland is so cowardly and appalling. He wasn't even looking at him and did nothing to deserve it!

Oi - are you suggesting I DID deserve it....

The background of mine is that I was 40, and the striker was 18. I put him on the floor half a dozen times before half time, and they were getting a bit upset - but only one challenge had even been called as a foul. I think some of his team-mates felt I was BULLYING him.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Oi - are you suggesting I DID deserve it....

The background of mine is that I was 40, and the striker was 18. I put him on the floor half a dozen times before half time, and they were getting a bit upset - but only one challenge had even been called as a foul. I think some of his team-mates felt I was BULLYING him.

Well I don't tackle or get tackled so I can't really comment. I play five yard sideways passes and stand on the center circle. You could say I'm the white Micah Hyde of the West Yorkshire Premier League. I was just suggesting, as does your post, that perhaps you were seen by the opposition as a bit of a hard man yourself thanks to your 'hard tackling' - and therefore a target to get a smack in the chops.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well I don't tackle or get tackled so I can't really comment. I play five yard sideways passes and stand on the center circle. You could say I'm the white Micah Hyde of the West Yorkshire Premier League. I was just suggesting, as does your post, that perhaps you were seen by the opposition as a bit of a hard man yourself thanks to your 'hard tackling' - and therefore a target to get a smack in the chops.

I think its purely because he was a KID, and they felt he was getting a tough time. He was, to be fair, but he's a very good player, and any decent defender would use the advantages they had over him. In my case these were strength and conviction.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Good to see Leeds have banned him for life. Still, the sentence should have been longer and the little scrote will still find his way into games.

Anybody know if the FA or the League are taking further action against Leeds as a result of all this? Point deduction or ban on away fans for a game or two?

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Its you that said that. Ive just pointed out that Brighton are in a very flimsy glass house on this issue. Why you cant see that is very odd unless you have only ever seen Brighton play at The Amex. Brighton punched an Orient player, brighton have also caused trouble all over the place, including west ham last year, and stabbed a southend fan the year before last. I bet they will cause trouble again this year. Glass houses my friend, glass houses. I expect Ray Wilkins would have a wry smile on his face at some of the "we wouldnt do that at Brighton" comments on this site and might point a few to a particular incident at the goldstone.

Well, according to this piece, Ray didn't seem to think it was a big deal!

Later, Wilkins told me: "The guys came streaming on to the pitch. One of them was about to banjo banjo the ref. His eyes were staring like he was either mad or on something. I stepped in front of him and stopped him, and later the referee thanked me."

Wilkins is attacked rescuing the ref! - Free Online Library

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to Sky Sports news the guy is claiming he doesn't remember doing it, that he had dunk so much, that the first he knew about it was when a friend texted him. He apparently left the ground early and got a train home before the end of the match for no apparent reason and despite being so drunk he forgot running on to the pitch and shoving kirkland in the face. To say I'm sceptical of his story would be understating it.

Feb 14, 2010
Well, according to this piece, Ray didn't seem to think it was a big deal!

Later, Wilkins told me: "The guys came streaming on to the pitch. One of them was about to banjo banjo the ref. His eyes were staring like he was either mad or on something. I stepped in front of him and stopped him, and later the referee thanked me."

Wilkins is attacked rescuing the ref! - Free Online Library

Yep goes top show how thing have changed. Three or was it four Brighton fans run on the pitch, threaten the ref and take a proper swing at Ray Wilkins. Yes the Orient chairman says we should be thrown out the league and we are in a bit of hot water, but I'm not even sure if anyone was arrested (could be wrong there). Wilking himself tho stayed on his feet, unlike the modern player from the other night who went down as if someone had shot him after receiving a push. I also remember when Mark Beeney at the Old Den ran over, grabbed and threw off the pitch a Millwall fan who went on the pitch. How footballers have changed in just a few years.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
he's been banned twice before and still attends games though. he was at Cheltenham Tottenham earlier this year causing trouble - he's a plebber

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here