Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I have one of these

b5f983661f00b77bcd25df6c8bdbfddd.png

One of these

cd2a8c593b53b1d73742454229e1d754.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My skin feels hideous all day when I just use those. I’ve tried splurging on the top of the range versions as well that you can use in the shower or dispense cooling cream but my skin feels soiled.

On that basis I’m a five blade, shaving oil and eucalyptus shave gel merchant. My wife hates it because I really take my time to get it right.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Wet shave.

Maybe electric razors have improved since I last tried, but to me it felt like trying to carve a turkey with a piece of sandpaper instead of a knife.

After about an hour of going over and over the same area you might get some approximation of a shave, but feck me it seemed hopelessly ineffective compared to a decent wet shave razor.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I voted Other.

As a lady any area that needs shaving was lasered years ago👍

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well when I do shave it's a wet shave, though so infrequently that I have to go over with the clippers first, though many of the times I do intend to shave I do the clippers then can't be arsed with the rest.
I got 8 blades three years ago and I've only just started using the seventh.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
a protest at the cost of razor blades.

That's a bizarre reason. I pay £2.50 for a pack of ten and they last about two months - about 30p a week. There are plenty of things whose cost has risen excessively but razor blades aren't one of them. Are you buying solid gold ones or something?

Like many people on here, I don't understand the appeal of electric razors. I tried one for a few weeks, it roughed up my skin and scarcely touched my stubble. I'm wet shave all the way - in fact, I'm toying with the idea of cut-throat razor

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Wet shave with dirt cheap safety razor blades. Doubt I spend $5 a year on blades anymore, took a few tries to get the hang of it, can't see me going back to expensive razors ever again.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I hate the feeling of being clean shaven.

I use clippers to trim my beard every so often. When I can be bothered or when I catch a glimpse of myself looking too beardy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wet Wet Wet all day long. So much better. Afterwards, I feel it my toes!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wet shave.

Maybe electric razors have improved since I last tried, but to me it felt like trying to carve a turkey with a piece of sandpaper instead of a knife.

After about an hour of going over and over the same area you might get some approximation of a shave, but feck me it seemed hopelessly ineffective compared to a decent wet shave razor.

In a nutshell. Plus you don’t have to empty out disgusting piles of dust that was once your face and clog up electric ones.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’d like to wet shave, and do so about once every five years in a ‘perhaps I’ll have a different outcome this time’ moment of madness.

The outcome? 1000 pinpricks of blood that take two hours of tearing up tiny bits of loo roll and strategically placing them on my face to deal with. Then I get in the shower, all the paper comes off (and contributes to blocking the u-bend) and the bleeding starts again.

This happens to me every fecking time. It must be something to do with my technique because when I have the occasional wet shave at the barber’s he/she has nay bother. I’ve tried different hardware (razors, brushes, blades) and different software (foams, gels et al). Nope.

So, I dry shave with a Braun jobbie. Top of the range, with all sorts of settings - that I never use.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Used to wet shave but got bored of doing it so now use a trimmer every two to three weeks. I think it makes me look like Bruce Willis in Die Hard, Mrs WS thinks it makes me look like a member of the Village People.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That's a bizarre reason. I pay £2.50 for a pack of ten and they last about two months - about 30p a week. There are plenty of things whose cost has risen excessively but razor blades aren't one of them. Are you buying solid gold ones or something?

Like many people on here, I don't understand the appeal of electric razors. I tried one for a few weeks, it roughed up my skin and scarcely touched my stubble. I'm wet shave all the way - in fact, I'm toying with the idea of cut-throat razor

I was probably stuck in to a brand thing - Gillette/Wilkinson sort of stuff.

But I have never liked shaving anyway, and am happy with hair on my face, and Mrs DiS is happy about it as well as long as it’s under control. I’ve got a very good Braun beard trimmer.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Wet shave for me below jaw line every couple of days and no.1 trim of the beard that I’ve worn since lockdown once every week or so.

I do use the over-priced Gillette razor blades, but find I can make them last for 3-6 months before having to replace them. How? I found out many years ago that the reason that blades go blunt isn’t through shaving use, but through oxidation of the cutting surface. So each time after I shave, I dry the blades with a piece of tissue and apply a thin coat of oil (beard oil, bio oil, etc - I wouldn’t suggest cooking oil!). Hey presto the blades stay sharp for frickin’ ages.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Wet shave so much cleaner.....................did have a moustache for some years then a beard now nought

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I can remember my first shave, my dad quite proudly gave me a wet shave as he saw my right of passage towards manhood. When I shaved myself I promptly cut myself and resolved to buy an electric shaver.
I was recommended a rotary Phillishave and I have stuck with them ever since. Always done the job ok.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Wet shave for me below jaw line every couple of days and no.1 trim of the beard that I’ve worn since lockdown once every week or so.

I do use the over-priced Gillette razor blades, but find I can make them last for 3-6 months before having to replace them. How? I found out many years ago that the reason that blades go blunt isn’t through shaving use, but through oxidation of the cutting surface. So each time after I shave, I dry the blades with a piece of tissue and apply a thin coat of oil (beard oil, bio oil, etc - I wouldn’t suggest cooking oil!). Hey presto the blades stay sharp for frickin’ ages.

Likewise, but with Wilkinson Sword Quattro blades. Give them a decent clean and dry after each shave and a pack lasts ages. Good shave gel/ oil helps too.

Razor blades have always been expensive, must be a marketing thing. I'm sure Gillette and Wilkinson and others have an (informal) cartel agreement. Inflated price suits all manufacturers.

There are cheaper razor blades, but when push comes to shove its like beer, tea and coffee. I can try drinking cheaper brands but soon get so hacked off I revert to the good expensive stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here