Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Shane Warne - RIP

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Awful news. Such a talent, and he had the big personality to go with it. I'd have him in my all-time World Test XI.

R.I.P Warnie.

I would have him as the first name on the team sheet.

Really shocking news, he was an absolute legend of the game, and a bloody good bloke too.

:down:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Shocked about this, one of those players I hated when he played us but liked once he retired enjoyed his commentary.

Always remember that first ball in England taking out Gatting's leg stump after pitching almost off the pitch

Having already seen it 123 times today, it hit top of off stump after pitching well outside leg.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Without argument one of the top 5 cricketers of all time, maybe in the top two.
As he died on holiday in a villa in Ko Samui I'm really hoping he was being entertained by a couple of stunners after some good wine and a cocktail or two
RIP Warnie TNBA.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Genuinely saddened by this. Great great spin bowler. What he could make the ball do was wizardry. When he stepped up to bowl you just knew it was a matter of time before the inevitable wickets fell.
One of the most likeable pundits too after he retired always had great advice. Great player. So sad.
RIP Shane Warne.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of the very few Australian cricketers I genuinely liked. Absolutely stunned when I heard the news. Cricket has lost a legend.

RIP Warnie

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm shocked. I liked him as a person and cricketeer. God bless you Shane. RIP.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Reinforces my belief on the 2nd anniversary of my wifes sudden death that lifes for living not like and an episode of Eastenders.A smile and good manners cost you nothing talk to strangers you'll be surprised what interesting conversations you will have.Dont fret that your giving more than getting be grateful that you can afford to give.The more you give out the more you get back.Its nice to be nice.Sorry if its a bit chessy but in these awful times a bit of positivity against negativity feels the way to go.

Jul 7, 2003
When Mrs DCH said that Shane Ward had died, I assumed she had got mixed up and was confusing stories of Rod Marsh's passing and Shane's comments about that.

Was lucky enough to see him play on a few occasions and also enjoyed his commentary both on international cricket and also the Big Bash. He was also the one to take the Jane McGrath charity day to another level wearing a shocking pink suit which is now something many others do.

A true cricketing legend and a real loss to the game both as a personality and as someone who helped and encouraged young spinners around the world.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reinforces my belief on the 2nd anniversary of my wifes sudden death that lifes for living not like and an episode of Eastenders.A smile and good manners cost you nothing talk to strangers you'll be surprised what interesting conversations you will have.Dont fret that your giving more than getting be grateful that you can afford to give.The more you give out the more you get back.Its nice to be nice.Sorry if its a bit chessy but in these awful times a bit of positivity against negativity feels the way to go.

100% this. Hope you’re ok

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When Mrs DCH said that Shane Ward had died, I assumed she had got mixed up and was confusing stories of Rod Marsh's passing and Shane's comments about that.

Was lucky enough to see him play on a few occasions and also enjoyed his commentary both on international cricket and also the Big Bash. He was also the one to take the Jane McGrath charity day to another level wearing a shocking pink suit which is now something many others do.

A true cricketing legend and a real loss to the game both as a personality and as someone who helped and encouraged young spinners around the world.
Me too - I saw it on here and my mind went, 'Oh yes, Australian cricketer - I know - I've already done an RIP message (whatever that's worth) and then realised it wasn't just Rod Marsh, but also Shane Warne ..........................

Wow! - bit of a shock that. Way too soon. RIP Shane - even though I rejoiced at every single run we scored off you.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Huge shame RIP

I will say those that have posted about his activity on twitter etc only this morning, heart attacks are just that, an attack. In January my wife was talking to me about dinner, she then answered her phone and was talking to our daughter, with no more than an startled OH, that was it, she died. I tried to no avail CPR for 30 minutes waiting for the paramedics. She was 55.

Whether it’s someone close, an acquaintance or a well known person the suddenness is a huge shock.

He lived a life, was larger than life and will be remembered for a long long time.

Life’s a shit

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It’s completely gutting. As well as being the best bowler I’ve ever seen, I loved his commentary for the simple reason that his total enthusiasm for cricket, and life, always shone through. I know quite a few people who met him and all loved him - many commenting on just how great he was kids and how generous with his time. One friend (of Indian descent) told how he was one of 10 kids who won a training session with him. The photographers from the papers wanted a picture of Warne with one of the kids (a photogenic blond kid) and Warne refused, saying all the kids had earned their place and they should all be in it. It meant a huge amount to my mate. RIP.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
One of Wisden's five best cricketers of all time.

As the Barmy Army sang in 2005
"we only wish you were English"

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Apart from a few Sri Lankans I can't think of any cricket fan who wouldn't put him in an all time XI.

Genius, legend, all of that.

Scrolling through the pages of news links on google it's clear how much impact he had. Even Hello magazine are covering it. Although their headline is 'Elizabeth Hurley's ex-fiance Shane Warne dies aged 52.

I think it’s impossible to compare across generations. But for me, he’s the best cricketer of my generation (I’m 44). Lots of other great players in that time, Lara, Kallis, Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath, Tendulkar. But Warne the #1 in my book. I also loved his enthusiasm for cricket and life, will miss his commentary and punditry as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of Wisden's five best cricketers of all time.

Not quite: he was one of Wisden's five best cricketers of the 20th century. Although he'd have a good chance of making the best of all time list too (I've been lucky enough to see three of those five live and Warne was the most charismatic of them)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1499954454870720513[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here