Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Have you all added an m after the figure by mistake? There is no way he is worth anything like a million pound especially if Uwe is nearly back I would say about £750k top whack. Tommy Elphick went to Villa for alleged £3m and he is not half the player Tommy is about the same standard as his brother Gary.

How would you have any idea of his value when you've never even seen him play?? He's been a very good player for Blackburn in the last couple of seasons and established himself as one of the best centre backs in the league, hence the interest from us and some Premier league teams. But he has a bad start to the season (2 games) so is now the standard of Gary Elphick. Ok. Your combination of cluelessness mixed with strong opinions based on nothing, baffles me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How would you have any idea of his value when you've never even seen him play?? He's been a very good player for Blackburn in the last couple of seasons and established himself as one of the best centre backs in the league, hence the interest from us and some Premier league teams. But he has a bad start to the season (2 games) so is now the standard of Gary Elphick. Ok. Your combination of cluelessness mixed with strong opinions based on nothing, baffles me.

Do you think he is better than Tommy Elphick? What Premier clubs after him I read Celtic in a noddy league but nobody else..

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm going with the faith I have in our recruitment team here. Gut feel says he's a touch overpriced (if these prices are correct.)

However, he's 6' 4", a decent footballer and at 24, fairly young for a centre back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm going with the faith I have in our recruitment team here. Gut feel says he's a touch overpriced (if these prices are correct.)

However, he's 6' 4", a decent footballer and at 24, fairly young for a centre back.

I will accept that but as I am not paying for him TB will pay what he thinks he is worth to us and I am prepared to stand by that but buying him doesnt excite me as signing GM on loan did.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

And it'll mean we have 4 x CBs to kick off the season. We can't rely on any of the other 3 staying fit all season or missing games through suspension. It's a no brainer.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
£4M for a 4th choice CB with an attitude problem. Utterly ridiculous. I'd sooner have White and Ince as cover than this complete waster.

What attitude problem does he have:?

Friend

Jul 6, 2016
How I see it is that, if our board are so persistent on getting him, we must be seeing something, and I'm fairly sure we could sign another backup centre back from anywhere. Obviously Chris and the scouts seem to think he's worth signing, even after all this own goal stuff, so it's fine with me. Transfer fees are a different story, all inflated these days, we'll probably undisclose the fee anyway

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Do you think he is better than Tommy Elphick? What Premier clubs after him I read Celtic in a noddy league but nobody else..

I wouldn't know really, but he's 4 years younger so that factors into the price he'd cost. Sunderland, Palace West Brom and Swansea have all been reported to be interested this summer.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
£4M for a 4th choice CB with an attitude problem. Utterly ridiculous. I'd sooner have White and Ince as cover than this complete waster.

Did you see White get made a mug out of for Oxford's first yesterday? Promising, yes but has a lot to learn. Ince at CB is League One stuff.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I'd rather get promoted but hey, everyone to their choice.

Pleased to hear you agree. For that sort of money we should be aiming to sign someone to push for a place in the starting eleven. I see Shane Duffy as being the defensive equivalent of Stephen Dobbie.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Have you SEEN Ince play CB? It's like a concussed Bambi on a skating rink.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I will accept that but as I am not paying for him TB will pay what he thinks he is worth to us and I am prepared to stand by that but buying him doesnt excite me as signing GM on loan did.

Nope, I'm with you but I think our recruitment team have bought enough goodwill over the last 18 months for us to give them the benefit of the doubt here. I don't doubt he has the attributes to be successful and if he is, I won't care about the price tag.

It also allows us to expunge a very embarrassing club record from the books.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports