Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shame On You Celtic

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
It's alright for Glasgow Celtic to say they will track down and ban those involved,but, will they! Lets face it theres about 100 fans holding the banners in designated seats, not a problem at all, they should be named and banned soon. Problem is they won't. Bigotry is alive and well in the two Glasgow clubs and BOTH of them do very little to distance themselves from it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's alright for Glasgow Celtic to say they will track down and ban those involved,but, will they! Lets face it theres about 100 fans holding the banners in designated seats, not a problem at all, they should be named and banned soon. Problem is they won't. Bigotry is alive and well in the two Glasgow clubs and BOTH of them do very little to distance themselves from it.

I have to say that I have on many occasions at sporting events passed a banner over my head without having a clue what is on it. Banning everyone holding it is a bit harsh in my opinion. I'd say that a lot of them were probably unaware what they were holding. Also, there could be a lot of people who weren't actually taking part, perhaps even arguing with those that were but happen to be in the row where the banner is.

They need to focus on the people that made and distributed the banner, which I'm sure is what they are doing.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Tickets For Troops Anniversary | Headlines | Headlines | News | Rangers

0,,5~9184460,00.jpg

TO celebrate the First Anniversary of 'Tickets For Troops', Rangers has donated 365 tickets to the Armed Forces for Wednesday's match against Hibs.

Troops on the pitchEach of the 365 donated tickets marks one day of the campaign over the last year and is part of the Club's continued support for Armed Forces personnel and related charities.

The match is the night before Armistice Day and it is expected that the full donation of tickets will be used by troops and their families.

Martin Bain, Chief Executive of Rangers Football Club, said: "Tickets For Troops is a fantastic initiative that, in a very practical way, enables troops to make the most of their time back home in the UK.

"There are Rangers fans serving throughout the Armed Forces and we are delighted to welcome some of them and their families to Ibrox on Wednesday night. This football club is totally committed to supporting all our troops who deserve enormous admiration and respect."

Rangers is also holding its own Remembrance commemorations at Ibrox on Saturday 13th November, where more than 100 Royal Navy personnel will be honoured on the pitch at half time in its match against Aberdeen.

In the last year, Rangers has donated around 3000 tickets to members of the Armed Forces through its own initiatives as well as Tickets For Troops and, in June, The Rangers Supporters Assembly launched its True Colours initiative, where fans buy season tickets to donate to serving personnel.

Lord Marland, Chairman of Tickets For Troops said: "We are extremely grateful to Rangers FC for supporting the troops and their families in this way. Tickets for troops is beginning to make a real difference to the lives of our Armed Forces and I want to thank all the organisations who have supported Tickets For Troops over the past year."

Since Tickets For Troops was launched last year over 70,000 troops have signed up and over 250,000 tickets have been generously donated by sporting organisations, musical venues, acts and theatres.

:clap::clap::clap:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I have to say that I have on many occasions at sporting events passed a banner over my head without having a clue what is on it. Banning everyone holding it is a bit harsh in my opinion. I'd say that a lot of them were probably unaware what they were holding. Also, there could be a lot of people who weren't actually taking part, perhaps even arguing with those that were but happen to be in the row where the banner is.

They need to focus on the people that made and distributed the banner, which I'm sure is what they are doing.[/QU

How many blokes did it take to carry in the banner!

Their Home game nearest to 11/11!

The Green Brigades on going campaign to outlaw the poppy on Celtic shirts!

Surely the powers at Celtic realised all this and could of prevented the Banner being taken inside the ground. Like I said Rangers and Celtic don't seem to do much to distance themselves from Sectarian Fans.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
But probably best to consign England's proud history pre-1900's to the locked books in this argument or no-ones point on here is valid. Be interested to see if anyone can find some details of any English wars pre 1914 that were not about expansion of the British Empire (read taking land from someone else or protecting land taken from someone else).?

Rather a simplistic way of looking at it.

For example.

In 1880 Egypt borrowed lots of money from Britian and France. They failed to pay it back. So Britain took over the Government of Egypt. Then, Sudan, which was part of the Egyptian Empire erupted in violence. Britian wanted nothing to do with it. Egypt said it was now our responsiblty to bring peace to the regen. So we did.

Two countrys which came under British rule where we had no intention or want to get involved.

History is not so black and white.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
I don't see the problem here, everyone knows that Celtic are a club with many Irish Catholic and Republican supporters.

The Irish Tricolour used to fly over Parkhead (may still do) The fans sing various republican songs at matches and raising money for the cause was an essential part of the match day experience for many years.

That is in the clubs and the fans culture and history and why should they change it because it is not deemed on message? It was not violent or offensive it was expressing a view about their club held by many among the support. The club needs to listen and explain why they have made the decion to support the appeal not just ban those who disagree with that decision.

As an Englishman, a loyalist and a Rangers fan I could not care less about this non story. It just confirms everything I already know about that lot.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

They need to focus on the people that made and distributed the banner, which I'm sure is what they are doing.[/QU

How many blokes did it take to carry in the banner!

Their Home game nearest to 11/11!

The Green Brigades on going campaign to outlaw the poppy on Celtic shirts!

Surely the powers at Celtic realised all this and could of prevented the Banner being taken inside the ground. Like I said Rangers and Celtic don't seem to do much to distance themselves from Sectarian Fans.

Not really the point - you said they should ban everyone in those seats. I'd be pissed off if someone held a banner in front of me at a game that I didn't necessarily agree with, and I got banned for life for it.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

So to all those who attempt and tar the Fine Glasgow Rangers with the same tardy brush, the above really does slightly show you the errors of your ways.

Never ever attempt to compare the two clubs and their respective different approaches to GB and our sovereignty. One is a Scottish Club with a proud tradition of supporting the United Kingdom, the other is a Scottish based team with Irish roots and little or no history in or desire to support our British traditions, for whatever reasons. That ain't bigotry, that is fact!

TNBA

TTF

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
So to all those who attempt and tar the Fine Glasgow Rangers with the same tardy brush, the above really does slightly show you the errors of your ways.

Never ever attempt to compare the two clubs and their respective different approaches to GB and our sovereignty. One is a Scottish Club with a proud tradition of supporting the United Kingdom, the other is a Scottish based team with Irish roots and little or no history in or desire to support our British traditions, for whatever reasons. That ain't bigotry, that is fact!

TNBA

TTF

:fishing: ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This should now put an end to the discussion about them and their equally vile rivals being allowed to play in the English leagues.

You'd think so, hard to see chairmen normally very supportive of the Forces ever sanctioning this lot with all their baggage into the PL, even more so after this.

I have to say though, being a bit of a cynic, it is the financial arguments that will decide that issue, not the moral one. So if they keep them out it will be more to do with turkeys not voting for Christmas than obscene banners.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Oh, and whilst I would never try and defend Britain's at times shameful imperialist past read up a bit about old wars if you think every English/British war was a war of colonial expansion. Try starting with Napoleon ...

Rather a simplistic way of looking at it.

For example.

In 1880 Egypt borrowed lots of money from Britian and France. They failed to pay it back. So Britain took over the Government of Egypt. Then, Sudan, which was part of the Egyptian Empire erupted in violence. Britian wanted nothing to do with it. Egypt said it was now our responsiblty to bring peace to the region. So we did.

Two countrys which came under British rule where we had no intention or want to get involved.

History is not so black and white.

I stand corrected :bowdown:

And shall not give any details of the others, because to be fair the French, Spanish, Dutch etc were also doing it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It does absolutely nothing of the sort. You'd have to be THICK not to see that protestant orange history and support for her majesty's armed forces are natural bedfellows, whereas a club with Irish roots might have a problem doing the same thing however honourable the intention.

Oh do behave. They are two peas in a pod, based in the most sectarian city on this island. They both sing sectarian songs, they both draw support based on religion, they both have a fair number of absolute twats in their ranks. And everybody else in Scotland hates the pair of them. There's a reason for that.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I saw a photo of the banners on an Aberdeen site yesterday (I was just having a butchers' at the aftermath of & 9-0 drubbing & the state of the Magoo barometer). I was very tempted to post the evidence on here - but a combination of sheer incredulity, horror, anger & sadness prevented me. And d'ya know what? Even with it becoming national news, my feelings are exactly the same today. I just feel very sorry for all the countless decent Celtic supporters who - yet again - get tarred with the bigots' brush.

Sad, sad stuff.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I saw a photo of the banners on an Aberdeen site yesterday (I was just having a butchers' at the aftermath of & 9-0 drubbing & the state of the Magoo barometer). I was very tempted to post the evidence on here - but a combination of sheer incredulity, horror, anger & sadness prevented me. And d'ya know what? Even with it becoming national news, my feelings are exactly the same today. I just feel very sorry for all the countless decent Celtic supporters who - yet again - get tarred with the bigots' brush.

Sad, sad stuff.

if there is any doubt who scotlands shame is now i would like more evidence. this they are just as bad as each other and the rest of scotland hate them both rubbish is a cop out. edinburgh and dundee suffer from sectarian issues as well, although they are not as large or manifested through football as glasgows. to claim the rest of scotland is tutting at them both as idiots in an otherwise sectarian free rainbow land is drivel.

other scottish clubs perhaps claiming they hate them equally is just opportunistic football tribalism. push comes to shove i am sure the rest of scotland find this far more distasteful than rangers side of a sectarian squabble.

Dandyman

In London village.
If we gloss over the fact many Irish fought in both World Wars and that the English armies killing many innocents while taking over colonies hundreds of years ago including Ireland, then correct I guess?

But probably best to consign England's proud history pre-1900's to the locked books in this argument or no-ones point on here is valid. Be interested to see if anyone can find some details of any English wars pre 1914 that were not about expansion of the British Empire (read taking land from someone else or protecting land taken from someone else).

That said, time for them to forgive and forget because it's not like England still have military rule in Northern Ireland anymore. What, still 1500 troops there you say?

The United Kingdom existed from at least 1800 and as you say (and then ignore) plenty of Irishmen along with Scots and Welsh built the British Empire. I have no illusions about the bloodshed involved in our past but unlike Irish Republicans I also remember that Charles 1 used Irish troops to suppress Scotland and as an instrument against the English revolution and that the leader of the IRA in WW2 died on a Nazi U-boat.

If you don't want to wear a poppy that is your right but insulting other people's memories and loved ones is beyond contempt.

1066gull

I dont get it. this is such a wonderful equal country who allow all cultures and people to live side by side yet their are radicals who want to destroy that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here