Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Severe hypertension advise

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Hypothetical situation guys, but there's a friend of mine thinks he may have the symptoms of a severe medical condition. A quick web search tells him that this condition is one of the main causes of premature death among middle-aged men in rich countries. What should he do?

a) immediately obtain urgent medical attention

b) seek reassurance and advice on an internet chat forum, preferably one devoted to football

c) nothing

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hypothetical situation guys, but there's a friend of mine thinks he may have the symptoms of a severe medical condition. A quick web search tells him that this condition is one of the main causes of premature death among middle-aged men in rich countries. What should he do?

b) seek reassurance and advice on an internet chat forum, preferably one devoted to football

c) nothing

C is the correct answer

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

c) nothing

You are right people concerned about their health should never ask friends and acquaintances for advice!
OP please see a doctor and update us as to how you are doing

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

c) nothing

Well, if he chooses C) and it IS something untoward, the worst-case consequences could be tragic. If he chooses A) then the worst case scenario is piece of mind and a sense of reassurance. If he chooses B), he's being foolish.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
See a doctor , 7 years ago I had a 225 over 125 reading after feeling unwell and was put on medication to bring it down and now it is steady at 155 over 80.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

c) nothing

Well I finally opted for option a) The outcome of the blood fasting tests all three were border line high and the Systolic at 171 after half an hour relaxing in the waiting room and what with my fathers side family history of heart attacks and strokes and diabetes, she told me to change or die basically.... So wish me luck eating bland food, oh she told me cut coffee etc out which I understand but she told me red wine has caffeine in it.... I never knew that... back in six months for progress report.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
for future reference, try avoiding typing your symptoms into the internet. I spent most of last year doing it, then convinced myself i was dying of one thing or another because of it. Finally plucked up the courage to go to the dr's lastweek and he told me to stop checking things on the internet, most of my 'symptoms' were brought on by anxiety as a result of me checking symptoms. vicious circle. If you are genuinely concerned about something, see your gp. Its the NHS, its free! Checking on the internet has two results
1) you decide you have something seriously wrong with and book a gp appt

2) you decide you're fine and do nothing, but have it nag at you for ages while you keep checking online and eventually book a gp appt anyway!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Well I finally opted for option a) The outcome of the blood fasting tests all three were border line high and the Systolic at 171 after half an hour relaxing in the waiting room and what with my fathers side family history of heart attacks and strokes and diabetes, she told me to change or die basically.... So wish me luck eating bland food, oh she told me cut coffee etc out which I understand but she told me red wine has caffeine in it.... I never knew that... back in six months for progress report.

Not sure where your doctor gets her info from but there is no caffeine in red wine. There is in Buckfast but not ordinary red wine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here